190° Thermostat

cut7

Does anybody have a source for for a 190° thermostat for the 2nd gen 12v motor? I've been searching but I can't seem to find one.

I have a NIB one in my garage. Cummins stat. No use for it in my 1st gens (plus, I prefer 180* stats.).

What is the lowest temp thermostat out there. I'm not running one right now due to the fact that my small electric fans didn't like summer time if I was stopped in traffic or driving around town. Now that winter is getting close, I want to put one in, but would like slightly less than 180°

Sent from my paperweight

Does anybody have a source for for a 190° thermostat for the 2nd gen 12v motor? I've been searching but I can't seem to find one.

Napa
Super Stat 180* = 532080
Super Stat 195* = 532090

A higher temp thermostat aids in complete fuel combustion. The trucks that have switched to Evans coolant use thermostats over 200 and enjoy increased mileage (and power I'd assume). To the best of my knowlege the Cummins thermostats are 190.

A higher temp thermostat aids in complete fuel combustion. The trucks that have switched to Evans coolant use thermostats over 200 and enjoy increased mileage (and power I'd assume). To the best of my knowlege the Cummins thermostats are 190.

The stock 12v stat is a 170*, even the updated cummins stat is a 170* too. Measured and verified on many trucks.

The stock 12v stat is a 170*, even the updated cummins stat is a 170* too. Measured and verified on many trucks.

After a million+ miles I learn something every day. I was going by my gauge fluctuation while driving, so I'll meet you in the middle. I spent some time messing with mine today after driving it a few miles. According to my IR heat gun my thermostat does not open until 180 and is completely closed by the time the temp drops to 170, measured at the outlet while idling. The unofficial parts sites I looked at show the thermostat as a 181.

The 24 valve engines have two to choose from, a 180 (Cummins part # 3954194) and a 190 (3937171), but I don't know if they will fit.

Ive ran 180 and 190. I run 190 without a fan 99% of time without issue. I dont tow or run hot.

why would you want 170 deg?

So my truck hasn't had a great heater since I bought it. Replaced the thermostat with the Cummins 180* a while back. Its been below 20* here and I'm tired of freezing my a$$ off going to work. Did my search and found this thread. The 12v and 24v thermostats are different sizes when comparing outside diameters. Checked out Nascars post and picked up the NAPA Super Stat 532090. Fits like a charm. I bought a Wifi OBDII from Amazon and am using Dash Command on my iPhone. I can monitor my water temps, intake temps, volts, rpm, and speed. Limited on the 12v. But before using the 180* stat it would hover below using the Dash Command. Now it is steady at 190*. And I actually get warm in the truck!!! The truck is also running better in the colder temps which is nice! Hope everybody has a Merry Christmas and stay warm!!!!

Better look again Quick Serve shows me 180. For a passenger truck application.

Quick serve can say what they want, but the proof is in the pudding at 170*. The only thing the updated Cummins stat does is curb the temp swings that the original stat is famous for.

Glad it worked out for you Oilburner. The only thing I would caution users, is to watch how many rpm's you run until stat is fully opened, as the 12v stats don't have the pressure relief ball built into the stat, like the 2nd gen 24v stats have. If it gets really cold like my neck of the woods in Canada (has gone as deep as -56*F in the past) the stat will never open past a crack.

Fast ramp up of rpm's on a not fully opened stat, can and will cause frost plugs to exit the block, even in the summer.

Fact of the matter is stock 180 not 170. Medium series trucks have 170 NOT passengers trucks.

What kind of mileage increase would I see from switching the stock stat out for a 195-200* stat? I have a p-pumped first gen and I'm using the stock first gen cooling system.

What kind of mileage increase would I see from switching the stock stat out for a 195-200* stat? I have a p-pumped first gen and I'm using the stock first gen cooling system.

Yesterday I took a trip that I have done many times before and had a significant increase in milage. Normally I would average a high 15mpg. After the 300 miles I filled up today and was surprised at a 17.9mpg. My truck since I have owned it has never got that high. Most of the trip I was averaging 75 to 80mph. A couple other things that might be helping is I have found a card lock gas station that still sells #2 diesel. And I run Stanadyne fuel additive. With the nose and bumper blocked off I never saw over 196*. The Cummins 180* thermostat had a hard time reaching that temp.