190° Thermostat

i think alot of people forget that they used coolant temp to help the engine stay within a emission window.

I run a t-stat from Murray which was for a 440 big block gasser, works great and is a 192*. Much better than the cummins stat or napa stat I tried. The 24v stats will not fit in a 12v BTW.

Does anyone know of a Canadian supplier? I have tried my local maps and the performance shop in Milton, on and would really like to avoid boarder fees and shipping on a thermostat.

Looks like I need to gun my cooling system. After replacing my thermostat when it got stuck closed with a napa one, I cant even hit 180*. That's even climbing a 7 percent grade for 8 miles.

the 440 one doesn't have the spring loaded foot on the bottom. what is that going to affect?

The murray 440 thermostat (195*F stamped on it) runs way hotter than the cummins 12v thermostat I had in the truck. It has been kind of nice as cold as it has been. That being said the cummins t-stat would run from 150-180ish v. the 440 that runs 190-210ish. The 440 t-stat does not get below 190 and gets up to the higher white line on the factory gauge (95 12v).
This is on my 95 5spd 2wd with no cooling fan and over half of the radiator blocked off. I can't see towing with this t-stat but it keeps me warmer.
I may try the 180*F thermostat for the 440 and see what happens.

Last edited:
The murray 440 thermostat (195*F stamped on it) runs way hotter than the cummins 12v thermostat I had in the truck. It has been kind of nice as cold as it has been. That being said the cummins t-stat would run from 150-180ish v. the 440 that runs 190-210ish. The 440 t-stat does not get below 190 and gets up to the higher white line on the factory gauge (95 12v).
This is on my 95 5spd 2wd with no cooling fan and over half of the radiator blocked off. I can't see towing with this t-stat but it keeps me warmer.

Mine does't run that warm with the murray. Although the 12v is complete stock, with the murray stat I'm just touching ~195*, then it jumps down to around ~170-175 is my best guess and climbs back up.

Mine does't run that warm with the murray. Although the 12v is complete stock, with the murray stat I'm just touching ~195*, then it jumps down to around ~170-175 is my best guess and climbs back up.

I thought it seemed odd that this one is a 195 t-stat but hardly gets below that number. At this point at least it is warm since it was sub zero this morning. I would take 170-195*F. That would be perfect.
My truck is pretty close to stock also.

I can post a video if needed, but that's exactly what it does for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can post a video if needed, but that's exactly what it does for me.

I believe you. I took a video too. I may have to try another and see what happens. I was going for your results since my 12v cummins t-stat was running too cold for my liking. This is a daily driver only. No towing. MPG is key.

I just put the 440 stat in my truck yesterday, and it acts just like yours. Creeps up tot around 210 then falls to around 185. Pretty much continues to do that. I would feel better if it climbed to 190 then came down myself. But it is still an improvement over the stant one i had before.

Well idk how mine is running cooler than y'all's?

Are any of you guys putting these warm stats in towing? I'd like to get my temps up but still need to tow 10k on occasion.