1966BT Dodge Camper Special Resto/Mod

[ame="http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/j364/1arock/"]Pictures by 1arock - Photobucket[/ame]
Here is a link to my sweptline build, I couldn't find a crew cab until after I was almost done with the body. There is a full feature article in it in the february issue of Diesel World Magizine

Found an old truck like this camper special the other day. running, driving, rusting $1500.

I almost passed out

Last edited:
nothing like seeing early iron being reborn.keep up the good work.

Dale

I appreciate the kind words and have some updates:

About three weeks ago I decided to link and bag the rear of truck. I've got high expectations for this truck and think the additional cost will be worth it. I admit it, I'm not breaking any new ground and linking/bagging a truck has been done plenty of times. As a matter of fact, take the time to read this thread in which the fabricator 4 linked and bagged a brand new F450 because the owner was really disappointing with how it carried a load. The truck is now 4 linked (w/ a track bar), bagged, has a simple air system and the owner is still happy with it about 4 years later and several 6K lbs payloads later.
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=581470&highlight=f450

The tentative plan is to use a pair of Goodyear air bags (http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=16373), a stand alone compressor, along with the same joints that I'm using on the front end. Will it cost more and be a hell of alot more work, absolutely. But I think it'll be great in the end and exceed my expectations.

My polybushings.com Cummins motor mounts arrived a few days ago, the air bags yesterday, front and rear trusses, link brackets, and more bushings, are on the way. I've emailed the .DXF files to about 4 places and am supposed to have some quotes today. My buddy Barrett, the CAD guru has done in a few more drawings for me including some adjustable bracket plates. I spoke to Dave and Allen Ballistic Fab about stepping it up on the motor mounts but I'm not holding my breath..

Motor mounts:
http://polybushings.com/pages/2710.html

Air bags:

Laminate plate drawing:

I've been making some progress behind the scenes but have not touched the truck for a few weeks.
I sent my CAD drawings to several local Baltimore companies who have CNC cutting capabilites. They either came back at over double my budget or never got back to me.
I then sent the drawings to Kert @ DIY4x.com who came in under budget and has been great to work with since. He's going to start cutting the plates on Monday and is making a set of mounts for the air bags too.
The bag mounts will be similar to these but super sized to fit the 11" diameter air bag.

The trusses arrived a couple of days ago and are awesome. My inner over killer is is very happy.

Also, Allen @ Ballistic sent me a finalized version of the motor mounts for the Cummins conversion.

Once I get the plates from Kert, and if the weather is decent, I might start welding 'em on the frame.

like the others said, sweet build. I really enjoy seeing old iron being saved, and by a man who knows what he is doing.

keep us updated

you don't want to run an intercooler?

Kert @ DIY4x.com came through like a champ. He cut me an unbelieveable price for the air bag to axle mounts, air bag top plates, inner and outer frame plates, some tabs, and shipping. Here's just a sample of his work:

to

to

I'm looking forward to working with Kert again.

A comparison of the vaccuum pumps from an early first gen versuses a later first gen:
1990 (non-IC):

1992 (IC'd):

Motor mounts (that may or may not work..... :bang: )

Press fit machined aluminum plugs for the vac. ports:

Axle truss for the front D60:

Diff. covers:

Couplers (for the tube that will span between the coil over hoops, and run over the engine):

Below are some pictures of the 14bolt axle out of an '06 2500HD. I like the idea of running this axle because it has factory disc brakes with an integrated parking break from the factory.
14bolts are known their beefy center sections, 10.5 ring gear, and 3rd pinion support bearing. The newer 14b's have disc brakes; the calipers are dial pistion and the rotors slip on.
This one has 4.10s (and a posi) that match the ratio in the D60. I was hoping not to have replace a bunch of parts on it but it needs all new e-brake hardware..

Super *%cked e-brake hardware:

Slip fit rotors:

I had the had the housing blasted and starting torching off the brackets Saturday.

Although nothing super exciting, I've made some progress over the last few days. I finished stripping the 14 bolt then tore into the 6BT donor truck..

I got the D350 all stripped including the motor and all the wiring then banged out a temporary cart for the 6BT.

All that custom stuff and your gonna use a set of Selectro hubs, you should know better than that...:bang

LOL..you're right about the hubs BUT you have to remember, I'm going for an old skool look and it's not like I'm going wheel this thing! Plus, I might end up switching to internal style hubs (which I also have). And to be completely contradictory to that statement, I'm thinking about building a doubler.. :badidea:

Anyway..It's been a busy couple of weeks. After tearing the '91 D350 down, Carl and I hauled it to the recylcer which made quick work of turning it into a steel pancake.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IiGcz2_XKs"]LowDown's 91 Dodge Mash - YouTube[/ame]

I've since been focusing on the frame; I decided to back half it. I cross braced the rear half w/1" x 16ga. square tube then cut the last 8' off the frame.
I had it media blasted this past Friday and am ready to start mocking up the 6BT.

You can't be an electromagnetic base drill press.

My steering package also arrived but PSC installed a factory style can on the pump instead of a remote reservoir can.
PSC made it right and the pump is on it's way back from Texas with the right can.

Remote reservoir: