1979 Peterbilt

drdiesel12v

Dr. Diesel Performance
ok guys, im about to acquire a 1979 Peterbilt 352 COE not sure miles, has a 13 spd, 400hp A model CAT, single bunk sleeper, has been sitting for 5+/- years, but does run.

im picking it up for $2k does this sound like a fair price? i couldn't see it going to the junkyard so i told him to bring it over here lol.

Also, a junkyard nearby has a KW with a 8V92 or 8V71 detroit (not sure which, tag was wore off) in it that i was thinking of swapping into the Pete. ooo the possibilities...:rockwoot:

Cody

in that case, it's more on how much you like the rig as to whether it's worth it or not. Because they'd make just as much scrapping it out, as they would selling it to someone for that price. Always nice to keep something like that out of the scrap yard..

Like LuckyJeff said, its kind of up to you, if you think its a good price then buy it. My buddy picked up a late 80's 352 for right around the same price last year that was in decent shape. He cleaned it up and painted, and it looks good now. Cab overs never really interested me to much though, I'd rather get a 359 or a 379, but thats just me

That is what I thought too. Yea I can't see a perfectly good used truck getting tore apart and cut up. So I'm gonna put a classic plate on it and drive it, and maybe the occasional pull lol. Anybody have easy ways to make power on an A model CAT?

THe stock pump can be turned up, we had a 359 that would peg the 40# boost gauge. It ran its ass off.

I thought the A model has a different pump than the B model and is less desirable to make power.

i've got a 74 pete 359 with an 8v92 in it that im working on restoring. needs another turbo though LOL

thats not a bad price, you should try and nab a KTA:ft: for it though instead of a detroit:badidea:

gotta have the blower on a 2 stroke

Keep telling yourself that. They can be built with no blower guts. I know there is several classes in the central midwest and out west that run them in pickups with open driveline, and have been doing it for years. A guy I worked with in Iraq built one many years ago, had a single turbo on each side and no guts in the blower. I have worked on hundreds of two stroke detroits in the last couple years, and yes, a stock one needs the blower, but I wasn't talking about stock either...

2cycle on Diesel Stop built a similar one...

Last edited:
Keep telling yourself that. They can be built with no blower guts. I know there is several classes in the central midwest and out west that run them in pickups with open driveline, and have been doing it for years. A guy I worked with in Iraq built one many years ago, had a single turbo on each side and no guts in the blower. I have worked on hundreds of two stroke detroits in the last couple years, and yes, a stock one needs the blower, but I wasn't talking about stock either...

Care to explain what changes need to be made to do this? Not at all doubting you. Just that running without the blower goes against everything I've ever been taught and I'd love to know how to do without.

How do you start them without the blower? thats the only issue. 2 stroke don't need blowers to run, just to start. If you substitute ether for the blower when cranking then theres really no issue.

How do you start them without the blower?

Not really possible. 2-strokes require constant positive intake pressure to get any air into the cylinder. There would be no flow out the exhaust to spin up the turbo or airflow through the engine. It would just be compressing the same air over and over. So if the engine doesn't fire off with the air already in the cylinder you'll "flood" it with fuel.

Last edited:
Not really possible. 2-strokes require constant positive intake pressure to get any air into the cylinder.

I understand that, thats why I'm asking.

Hows the governor work with a gutted blower? mechanical? DDEC?