2.6 puller/street cam opinions?

Possibly, my opinion on money spent should be in the following order

Pump(Pump/turbo/injectors kind of go hand in hand)
Turbo
Injectors
Cam
Head work.

I understand the pump turbo and injectors coming first which thats another ball thats rolling to hopefully get us to the best setup we can run but everyone has made it seem like headwork should be very first ( i realize its easier with the engine at this state) but why last in this case from what i gathered shouldnt it at least be headwork then the cam?

are you getting at that no matter what you wanna do with the engine, that it all boils down to having a good charger setup with adequite fuel ratio? wont a cam help get more air to the engine allowing the charger to suck more air in and allow more fuel to be burnt leading to the ultimatum of more power? im confused, help me out a bit on what your trying to get at.

The high end chargers will still move more air, then the box chargers even with good head work and cam. Not only that, but typically if a guy has $4K+ to spend on a charger, he probably already has the head and the cam too.

JSP did a back to back stock to 188/220 cam swap, same day, same dyno, same truck, and made 0 more horsepower, and 0 quicker spooling. Lost a few degrees egt, and a little bit of boost. This was at just over 1000hp, and he has enough fuel for at least 1500hp. All of the dyno sheets, and data logs are posted here on compd somewhere.

its actually a pretty clear statement there is a horsepower range based on your charger and in most cases you wont exceed x horsepower based on your charger setup and i our organization i dont think anyone runs an hx-60 or for that matter maybe 1 or 2 precision chargers dont quote me on that.

understood, statement cleared up. i see what hes getting at now.

dvs8tr based on what you asked about the lift in your opinion wouldnt you want to get the head done and checked in order to pick the cam?

The high end chargers will still move more air, then the box chargers even with good head work and cam. Not only that, but typically if a guy has $4K+ to spend on a charger, he probably already has the head and the cam too.

JSP did a back to back stock to 188/220 cam swap, same day, same dyno, same truck, and made 0 more horsepower, and 0 quicker spooling. Lost a few degrees egt, and a little bit of boost. This was at just over 1000hp, and he has enough fuel for at least 1500hp. All of the dyno sheets, and data logs are posted here on compd somewhere.

Wasn't this on a efi common rail?

from phone

dvs8tr based on what you asked about the lift in your opinion wouldnt you want to get the head done and checked in order to pick the cam?

If the head is stock there is no need to lift the valve any more then .400. With the really good heads you can have increases in flow up to .600+ lift in the Cummins 4 valve and Dmax. On the 12 valve we are seeing flow increase over .800 lift.
I CNC all of my custom grinds it’s just a matter of designing a lobe with the optimal lift .

When you double the air flow of a cylinder head and then keep the valve open 60+ degrees longer, then you are moving a significant amount more air in the same time frame.
When you don’t need the extreme pressure ratio chargers in 2.6 then boost comes down to get the same amount of air in , also reducing the turbine inlet pressure , and reducing retained heat.

I CNC all of my custom grinds it’s just a matter of designing a lobe with the optimal lift.

Never seizes to amaze me what you take credit for, I bet the guys at Bullet would be interested to know.

Never seizes to amaze me what you take credit for, I bet the guys at Bullet would be interested to know.

they do not design my cams , and if you call then , they will send you to me , I have a pallet of 250 new UGL that are mine setting there , don't you have some injectors to get out.

Bullet grinds all of my cams both Gas and diesel , they have ground over 3000 cams over the last few years for me.

Classic Greg, remind him he did not create the World and all that lives on it and he gets defensive.

Is it just me or is the OP and 7.5stoker the same guy. Or neither know the value of multiquoting?

If the head is stock there is no need to lift the valve any more then .400. With the really good heads you can have increases in flow up to .600+ lift in the Cummins 4 valve and Dmax. On the 12 valve we are seeing flow increase over .800 lift.
I CNC all of my custom grinds it’s just a matter of designing a lobe with the optimal lift .

When you double the air flow of a cylinder head and then keep the valve open 60+ degrees longer, then you are moving a significant amount more air in the same time frame.
When you don’t need the extreme pressure ratio chargers in 2.6 then boost comes down to get the same amount of air in , also reducing the turbine inlet pressure , and reducing retained heat.

Which i would assume is why people switch to a 12 valve head from a 24v...

Classic Greg, remind him he did not create the World and all that lives on it and he gets defensive.

He's at least contributing to the thread :poke:

Is it just me or is the OP and 7.5stoker the same guy. Or neither know the value of multiquoting?

Nope and i do now! what's OP represent anywho :doh:

Last edited:
I guess you mine the steel that you make injectors out of ,

go get a life

miner.gif

Actual photo of Weston hard at work for those spiffy injectors we all enjoy...

The 12 valve head only has two valves and flow on the very best heads is close to 300 cfm, the same is true for the 24 valve heads. The huge advantage to the 4 valve head is that you have a centralized injector that requires less timing to no matter what the fuel system.

The advantage in fuel system is that the CR system has 30,000 + psi of fuel pressure, and the ability to change timing values in a millisecond. In the past you had to reduce compression for the fixed timing P Pump to get around the destructive peak cylinder pressure at lower RPM’s. When you can take advantage of more efficient high static compression ratio, you can build more efficient and responsive engine.

With more compression you can easily light looser chargers and reduce turbine inlet pressure. This reduction in Turbine inlet pressure allows the heat to exit the engine. With less retained heat, you can lean harder on the same combination to make more power.

Some will say that the P Pump is king, maybe so on a mod motor, but this has is much correlation as a blown alcohol dragster engine to the new EcoBoost engine that make incredible power and have good street manors.

Ford Chevy and mopar now have 650 to 800 Hp Street engine that drive like a grocery getter. I drove a 700 hp Hennessey ZR1 Camaro at the Texas Mile to the store for supply’s, and if you didn’t step on the loud peddle, it drove like any other new car.

If you’re going to build a multi-purpose truck , one that will live , have good driving manors , not smoke and get you one of the new $500 smoke tickets , then you need to plan your build out carefully .
Big injector, and big pumps on a stock motor make a cool smoke show, make and incredible amount of heat , and are short lived.
Start with a cylinder head program, this give you benefit from towing, to performance.

There is no disadvantage to the biggest head period. There is no velocity issues, if the port was twice as big, it’s still far too small to get anywhere near that area. Velocity issues in port work are based on not getting signal back to the carburetor. Ding ding ding , there are no carburetors or throttle body’s on a diesel, and no fuel in suspension.

Next critical part is a cam. With good profiles you can add 30 to 60 degrees to the end of the intake event, allowing more air in to the chamber. Again there are no disadvantages to a proper sized cam profile.
No that you can get air in to the engine, and then you can work on putting more fuel in.

Back