2.6 pulling tire?

farmboy3510

I've read a lot of threads on this and from what I can gather the STS tire and the BFG All Terrains are the popular choice. I personally run Goodyear Duratracs,but why are the Baja Claws not more popular? With the 23 deg. design they are similar to a tractor tire, and with the bar design they are similar to a cut tire the big guys run. When I ever ask anyone about this I am always told to never run these but never get a concrete answer as to why. So has anyone tried them and have proof of the logic why to not use these? Thanks in advance for any insight on this.:Cheer:

Had a set of the 33 15.5 18 claws. Did ok for me. I know it will make a lot of people angry, but I think some people put to much emphasis on tires.

When they are new and sharp and you're on a hard track, they seem to be fine.

Put them on a track that will crumble, and they dig down rather than go forward.

If you could cut them to 1/4" tread depth with a sharp edge, they would be killer.

All the serious pullers I know of that have tried claws extensively, have gotten rid of them eventually for either the BFG or the STS.

Appearance does not equal performance.

Last edited:
After reading the thread about wheel speed and ground speed it got me thinking that maybe instead of trying to turn a monster wheel speed just try to get the ground speed and the wheel speed closer to 1:1 instead of say 2:1. If these tires were sharp and with say 8 or 10/32" they wouldn't dig as fast but the contact area on the edge of the tire would still be there. Does anyone know if these tires are considered to be a "soft" compound or not? Thanks for the info.

Big flat non-siped tread blocks. That is the problem with them. However, I have seen people turn them around and run them backwards and they work better. Back in the day we used to run those on some of the mud trucks around here and they worked way better backwards.

Does the sipeing make that big of a difference? I know on my Dura Tracs that they have a ton of sipeing and they bite good, but on a cut tire, or tractor tire, and the sts's there is no sipeing. I know these are not cut but the bar principle is still there. Then that leads me to wonder if you did the same thing to the interco bogger. Ground down the tread depth so it would not dig so much wouldn't that lead it to bite really hard? Maybe not?

If you're not allowed to alter the tire, what's the point of even thinking about grinding it down, other than mental masturbation?

If you're not allowed to alter the tire, what's the point of even thinking about grinding it down, other than mental masturbation?

Bingo. And that is why you don't see many of these ideas getting any attention because the rules normally don't allow that stuff.

I would probably be cheaper and a lot easier to just run a set of bar tires.

What about Wild Country XTX or Kumho KL78

I have seen the Wild Country in person, very soft compound

Your not suppose to alter a lot of things and people do it. If thinking outside of the norm is masturbation for you well stick with what you are good at. If you have nothing useful to add why waste your time typing ignorant comments.

Your not suppose to alter a lot of things and people do it. If thinking outside of the norm is masturbation for you well stick with what you are good at. If you have nothing useful to add why waste your time typing ignorant comments.

It wasnt an ignorant comment, it was the truth... Not all winners cheat. Not all cheaters win. Cut your tires if you think it will help, my money says it wont.

Question? I got a set of 35-13.50 swamper tsl's about 90% tread, anyone here have any experience pulling with them

I run the xtx on my tow rig dunno about pulling but i like them on it. If you want to run claws or boggers just run them on the street for a while. Bald boggers are a pretty good hookin tire.

Does the sipeing make that big of a difference? I know on my Dura Tracs that they have a ton of sipeing and they bite good, but on a cut tire, or tractor tire, and the sts's there is no sipeing. I know these are not cut but the bar principle is still there. Then that leads me to wonder if you did the same thing to the interco bogger. Ground down the tread depth so it would not dig so much wouldn't that lead it to bite really hard? Maybe not?
You might want to look again because the sts has more siping than most tires and that is one reason why they work so well.

Nope I don't think cut tires help either, expecially the claws. We tried cut claws compared to STS's on the exact same truck and each time he went with the claws he was 5ft behind me, when he went with the STS's we were within inches of each other. The claws look good but I think they dig to much.

So apparently this rookie puller wanted to get some good advice on sharpening tires. LOL

Anybody want to chime in on that? :doh:

If I wanted advice for sharpening tires I would have asked for it. I asked if anyone has tried it and Kman9090 did and it did not work as well. He must have been in a "mental masturbation" as you put it when they tried it also. As usual ignorant useless comments that do not add anything to the discussion other than to insult people you do not know and waste everyone's time reading your posts.

If I wanted advice for sharpening tires I would have asked for it. I asked if anyone has tried it and Kman9090 did and it did not work as well. He must have been in a "mental masturbation" as you put it when they tried it also. As usual ignorant useless comments that do not add anything to the discussion other than to insult people you do not know and waste everyone's time reading your posts.

Also I'd note we tried them at a brush pull where anything went. We were not trying to cheat anywhere. We never got to try them on a loose track though. On the hard packed tracks he could blow the tires off with the claws and the sts's would actually bog him down at the end. He could actually pull a higher gear with the claws but it still lost him footage. From what I could tell with daily driving and pulling with the STS's once they got past hald trad you loose ALOT of the bite. You would not have to worry about this on a puller though. I've "heard" that even at hald tread the bfg's still bite hard, some have even said the bfg's bite harder after they've been worn down...?

So apparently this rookie puller wanted to get some good advice on sharpening tires. LOL

Anybody want to chime in on that? :doh:

By turning around in circles over and over and over again you can wear your front wheels badly and cause the leading edge to stick up more in some cases. lol helps having your T-Bars cranked as far up as they can go too if you have IFS. LOL