2010 NHRA rule change locking transmission dipstick

01quadcab

Just a slow VP truck
So anyone read about the new rule for nhra about a locking transmission dipstick is required for 10.99 and quicker? So whats out there for the diesel world to comply with this?

Last edited:
What they are is the normal dipstick, but on the end where the handle is it has a lever that when you flip it over it pushes out the rubber gasket so the dipstick wont come out

Take a GM locking dipstick, cut the end off of it and weld on the end from your current stick.

I've been doing them this way for a few years now.

I took my dipstick tube out and threaded the end of it and screwed an (AN) style fitting on it with a O ring inside it to make the seal. Cheap and easy!
I wish they would have done this last year, I would have kept our truck from catching on fire.

Last edited:
Do you happen to have a link for this? I went to suncoasts website and couldnt see anything

Welded loop on the tube with a zip tie through the stick should pass as it's more secure than the locking ones I've seen.

Welded loop on the tube with a zip tie through the stick should pass as it's more secure than the locking ones I've seen.
But in typical NHRA fashion they say they will only allow "NHRA Approved" locking dipsticks.

Here is the NHRA announcement:
http://www.nhra.com/story/2009/10/26/safety-initiatives-for-2010-announced/

Here is a discussion on a racing forum:
Locking Dipstick - CLASS RACER FORUM

Here is another discussion where someone lists the "Approved" manufacturers.
Trans Dipstick Rule?? - CLASS RACER FORUM

On another forum someone posted a reply from NHRA Division 6 tech director, who said that he will accept the GM factory locking dipsticks, and was pushing for them to be accepted nationally (apparently they use the same locking mechanism as the "approved" brands, but at MUCH lower cost). For my drag car I picked up a GM 15687192 and cut/marked it to match my original, works well as long as NHRA accepts it.

As several of us have pointed out on forums, if anything they should have addressed the issue of vents/breathers and required them to go into a catch can. I overheated my trans late last year and oiled the track through the breather.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

I have a lokar flexible firewall mount dipstick on the car. I wonder if anyone produces a flexible locking one?