24v swap into 99 f350

goose46

Hi,
I am getting ready to start my cummins conversion into my 99 f350, the truck currently has the 7.3 powerstroke with a 4r100. I will be swapping in a 24v out of an '01 truck that has an automatic. I will be converting to an nv4500 and the biggest question i have is; do i need the PCM from the donor truck? I'm sending the harnesses off to be converted (I'm colorblind and my wife works 7 days a week) to speed up the process but i don't want to add more stuff to the truck that necessary.

Thank you in advance for the help.

No, you shouldn't. You will want a manual trans ecm for your engine. Or have yours re flashed if possible.

I've read that this can be accomplished with a smarty tuner, which I have access to one. Is this the case?

Talk to Bob Wagner on here, he's the smarty wizard, if it can be done he'll know how

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That's what I was going to say. I've sent him ecm's before and he has flashed from auto to manual. I really don't know if you can do it through a smarty though.

LORDDIESEL- I shot a PM off to the member mentioned above, but if I can use a smarty that would be great. How do you tune your truck?

LORDDIESEL- I shot a PM off to the member mentioned above, but if I can use a smarty that would be great. How do you tune your truck?

It was stock tune, and now the common rail is coming out for a 12 valve. For the price destroked changed me, you could almost pay for a tuner. I didn't know that at the time.

Please post your results on getting your ECM flashed. I need to do this as well. My engine was also out of a auto truck and I did run the auto ecm for a coulple weeks and noticed a lower idle, difficult taking off from a stop and my A/C did not work at idle. In all fairness I believe the A/C problem was worse because of my RPM pickup for the Ford side (ie my signal is not steady bounces 200-300rpm.) Another positive I got from going to a manual ECM was an increase in mpg. I borrowed this ECM from a friend who will be converting a 97 F350 so it will have to go back to him eventually.

Please post your results on getting your ECM flashed. I need to do this as well. My engine was also out of a auto truck and I did run the auto ecm for a coulple weeks and noticed a lower idle, difficult taking off from a stop and my A/C did not work at idle. In all fairness I believe the A/C problem was worse because of my RPM pickup for the Ford side (ie my signal is not steady bounces 200-300rpm.) Another positive I got from going to a manual ECM was an increase in mpg. I borrowed this ECM from a friend who will be converting a 97 F350 so it will have to go back to him eventually.

I was told this is because the auto ECM doesn't have torque management enabled like the manual.

I can bench flash the ecms no problem at all. And it can also be done with a smarty with a recovery software.

Shoot Bob Wagner a PM and he can get you set up to get your ECM sorted out. The link to his member page was linked to a couple posts up.

Alright so i finally have this project going my way. big question i have right now is in-regards to transmission wiring, the truck currently has a 4r100 and I'm swapping in a nv4500 with the Cummins. Can someone help me out with what i need to do to the current harness so everything will work correctly or have suggestions for this swap?

Need some help with the injection pump gear; long story short took the case cover off pump gear came out with it and now I need to know which timing marks to line everything up with. I took a swing for the fences and lined all the "00" and "0" up on the crank/cam/pump gear just want to know they're right before I put the cover back on. Here's a picture of the Cummins sitting in the truck, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2920.jpg
    IMG_2920.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 50956310855__83FF3558-97B2-4007-8CB2-1D1FFD5740DC.jpg
    50956310855__83FF3558-97B2-4007-8CB2-1D1FFD5740DC.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 0
Back