30+ mpg again

We run that belt routing on our puller and we have not had any issues. I doubt your hard run on the street will be more than 5k rpms?

Has anyone thought about putting air dams under the truck. Like the ones you see under the trailers of semis now. It wouldn't have to be anything trashy. Just some hard black plasic that sticks down under the truck. I wouldn't put them on the bottom of the rockers but under the truck a little more. On a lowered 2wd someone would have to bend down and look under the truck to see them. Something along the same lines of an air dam.

We are planning on driving Hot Rod drag week in our 2wd short box in September and we plan on keeping track of our mileage for the week. It should be interesting.

you would see it more from far away. the only problem i see with adding that to the side would be maintinence, that would be a PIA. I already hate when i have to crawl under the truck, but i dont have imediate access to a lift

To go along with 97 crew cab's suggestions, a belly pan for the truck would be functional and not be seen, it would keep air under the truck smooth. Of course spending 500 bucks in materials for it would negate the benefits

im pretty much done adding anything aero dynamic to the truck, it may work for others but i want to keep it looking normal from a far and up close. my main focus right now is dropping wieght. im keeping the current interior tho, considering losing the stock tank for a fuel cell, removing the rear bumper, hitch, tailgate and fan. i dont wanna run a grill block off for the sake of getting cold air to intercooler. the grill's arent that big and the other mods will make up for whatever is lost on the aero side. i'm not going to switch to synthetic's because i hear they can seep through cracks that the current oil is filling, also i get free oil from work. but i wanna thank everyone for there opinions

Trade the rear bumper for a lighter roll pan. That would look good and not eat thru too much money.

just did some research by going from 17" steel 3rd gen rims to 17" aluminum rims im saving roughly 72 lbs

i dropped 280lbs by ditching the tailgate, rear bumper, hitch, and steel wheels. next is fuel cell

i dropped 280lbs by ditching the tailgate, rear bumper, hitch, and steel wheels. next is fuel cell

Do you really think there's going to be much weight savings going with a fuel cell? How heavy are the stock/oem plastic tanks 35-40 lbs empty?

I agree that running around will 35 gallons of fuel in the stock tank vs 15 gallons in a fuel cell would be a huge weight savings, but who said you have to run around with 35 gallons of fuel in the tank?

Have you looked into flexalite 264? Electrical. Frees up 27 hp and supposed to give ya 6% mpg gain. A bit pricey but i bet you could diy at a huge savings

For auto trucks I would think an aftermarket torque converter and valve body would help. Also I'm planning to put a VGT on my '01 with Fleece controller, hopefully it will help MPG a bit with quicker spoolup and manually opening it up on the highway.

Do you really think there's going to be much weight savings going with a fuel cell? How heavy are the stock/oem plastic tanks 35-40 lbs empty?

I agree that running around will 35 gallons of fuel in the stock tank vs 15 gallons in a fuel cell would be a huge weight savings, but who said you have to run around with 35 gallons of fuel in the tank?

i considered just running with half a tank but the main benefit is i wanna get some more wieght on the a$$ end. dropping wieght as also affected the ride quality. plus i hate how the stock tank is lower then the frame rails. i also took off the stock fan and dont really have any intentions of running a aftermarket one, unless i really have too.

hard to keep up with all you have done, how bout relocating the battery to the rear, bed off make a nice perch for it with an access panel in the bed to get to it if need be, I saw battery 'cause you most likely are running one to cut weight, but if still two, move both back there.

i considered just running with half a tank but the main benefit is i wanna get some more wieght on the a$$ end. dropping wieght as also affected the ride quality. plus i hate how the stock tank is lower then the frame rails. i also took off the stock fan and dont really have any intentions of running a aftermarket one, unless i really have too.
Got a belt #?

im going to keep the battery in the stock location just in case i have to get a jump start or jump someone else, i dont wanna be crawling on the ground. i didnt replace the belt im still using the Non-A/C belt. i dont wanna remove the pulley. Plus on the 12v's the tach pickup is sitting right in-line of where the belt would go

Back