33 mpg

You mentioned that you were driving 70+ mph. Whaat rpms is that-as i think its criticle to keep the rpms down to achieve the best mileage.

Jordan

Just out of curiosity, what's your average MPG? Not a single best tankful but your average over say 3-5 tanks.

There's no way you can run between 1700 to 1900 rpm at 70+ mph and get 33mpg. I'd say the most you'll see with the air dam, and GV, is 27mpg.

what boost are you running at 70+? Stock turbo ? What about egt's at said boost ?

its a 2wd and not the stock turbo! this is the first tank since he has put a few other mods on it and he should be getting a little bit better turbo this week. so there might be even more out of that truck. that thing sips diesel!

Exactly my point. If my 4spd auto (which has a better OD ratio than a 5spd) is turning those rpm's then he should be turning WAY lower rpm's than that with a GV. Even if he had 4.10's he should be below 1700-1900.

at 90mph my tach needle is just on the topside of 2K like still touching it. at 70 it's in between 1500 and little lower than 2k. i would love to meet the person who calculated these tachs. my boost is 2 psi and egt 500-600 pending on hills at 70 and 5 psi at 90 egts at 600-700.

so after installing new ddp 2 injectors and ...: thats 5mpg increase than before injectors and the cover. thats driving 70mph and higher and a few city miles.

How much better mileage do you figure you got from the DDP2's?

I've thought about going to DDP3's in my '96. Right now, if I cruise control at 65 MPH on a level freeway, I can get just over 23 MPG. Usually between 23.1 and 23.4 MPG, probably depends on the wind. I've got stock 180HP injectors and DVs. Those figures are unloaded and no bed cover.

I've got tow mirrors and it's a dually - I ought to run a few hundred miles with the mirrors folded in flush with the doors and see what happens.

Last edited:
the average was 28 the max before injectors and t-cover was 30. then when i filled up after it was 33. ill tell you again in august what my mpg, 3-5 tanks is like 6 months or more for me. since i have 65 gals on board

I have the GV also, and on a good day I may see 20 mpg. But then, I have no level long area here for a good test.

Wow I would be thrilled with 15mpg! No offense but i think everyone streches it a little. My 99' 24v auto 4x4 gets a consistent 13mpg and I drive over 20 miles one way to work with flat ground and about 2 stops. Its got 160k, 3.55 gears, stock tires, and no fueling mods. I've gone on long trips and never gotten over 15, hand calculated. My brother has a 12v and he gets close to 15mpg. I'm tired of BS!:kick: Everyone says they get such great mileage but I've never seen it, I'm on my 4th diesel. The reason why I get worse mileage than everyone else is because I tell the truth!

yeah im tired of people telling lies as well. just because a truck is stock doesnt mean its going to get good mileage. the truck has been tuned for mpg. not for performance in hopes of mpg. MPG. that doesnt mean i drive 55 and never see 4K or above 80mph. atleast 3-4 times a week ill top out the gears 130mph+. but everybody is title to there own opinoin and ill keep on posting my progress.

Last edited:
I believe tuning a 12V for 30+ mpg is very possible. I have no problem getting 25 out of mine at 70mph w/ the air on.... at over 600WHP.

forgot to mention i drive 110 miles one way to get to work, major reasoning behind the truck

Well driving that far to work is a big factor. I'm not saying that your lying, I'm just saying that most people do. I'll be talking to some dude that says he gets 25 and I'll ask how many miles he get on a tank and he will say like 475. Bam nice try that would mean your tank is less than 20 gallons and these trucks are all at least 30, most are 35-38. It just pisses me off cause all these people get diesels thinking they get such great mileage and saving all this money but there not. They never even pull anything or use it for anythin but to drive. And now diesel in my town costs $4.99 a gallon. Thanks a lot.

Didn't mean to hijak or start a riot, just my thoughts. Needed to vent. BTW, how can I make my truck get better mileage?:hehe: