340MPH Barrier has also been breached by a Duramax!!!!

Dmax65

On Sept. 23rd and 24th, a crew of 10 guys, after a week of hard work, were able to set two new FIA World Record in Category A, Group III, Class 10 Diesel (Translation: Special Vehicle with Diesel Cycle Engine Supercharged between 5000cc and 8000cc). The old record had stood since 1972 at 236.756 by the Thermo King Steamliner driven by Virgil Snyder.

On only the 7th and 8th pass on the car, we were able to make a down run of 300.211 mph turn the car around in about 25 minutes and complete or return run throught the timed mile at 315mph average with a 321mph exit speed. The combined average was a new World Record at 307.876!!!! Not only did we set the record for the mile and the kilo (308.075) we also got me into the Bonneville 200MPH Club and Bonneville 300MPH Club at the same time.

The next day we set the car up for the owner, Lynn Goodfellow, so he could break my record and gain entrance to the 300MPH Club, his down run on the 12 mile long course netted a 296mph mile average. The car was turned and run within the required 60 minutes to complete the return run. Lynn entered the mile at 342.879mph and exited at 334.034 with the car on fire. Steam coming from the cooling system flashed off the turbos and started the overflowing coolant on fire. We were using Evan's Coolant which doesn't get mixed with water and as it turns out has a 70% concentration of Ethyl Poly Glycol which is flamable, crappy way to find this out. Lynn got the car stopped safely and the fire systems and 4 layer suit did their job. He did sustain 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his hands and some burns on his face, but he walked away and will be able to race another day. Prayers go out to Lynn for a speedy and full recovery. The good news is that Lynn reset the record to 315MPH and got into the 300MPH, the hard way.

Cool side note: On each of the runs of over 300mph the engine used just 1 gallon of "REAL" #2 Diesel at 3.96/gallon purchased at the truckstop on the corner. We also used $22.00 in ice on every run.

The car is now back at the shop in Boulder City, Nevada, being preped and repaired for more record attempts. The engine is being shipped back to my shop in Wisconsin to be upgraded and improved for even more power. Our calibrator calculated we were making 1251HP/2252ft/lbs of torque while in high gear on Lynn's run. Not too bad for the "little" Duramax. The engine in the car is the Dry Sump version of our all out race engine. It had some new features like a dual CP3.3 belt drive and very high efficency intercoolers. The compounded turbo system is the same as on our Off-shore boat and it worked great providing 67lbs of boost with only 56lbs of backpressure.

Look out for this car next year as the 454 Duramax will be installed and the JCB title of Worlds Fastest Diesel will be coming back to the USA. I truly believe there is 400mph potential in this car, and I can't wait until next summer to proove it. I've accepted the position of full time driver of this car and look forward to representing the Goodfellow Family, Goodfellow Crushers, and all the hard working crew that make this Missle fly.

Curtis

Here's some links to more pictures and video:

http://s445.photobucket.com/albums/qq178/RayTheRat_2008/mormon_missle_after_run_1/

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/...ootout 2008/?action=view&current=100_1943.flv

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii147/SeldomSeenSlim/Top Speed Shootout 2008/

http://s445.photobucket.com/albums/qq178/RayTheRat_2008/morman_missile_run_2/

http://s445.photobucket.com/albums/qq178/RayTheRat_2008/morman_missle_wed_runs/

Attachments

• 24-10.jpg
    24-10.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 92
  • P1000573_2.jpg
    P1000573_2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 62
  • 24Crew4_2.jpg
    24Crew4_2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 53
  • P1000570_2.jpg
    P1000570_2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 49
  • P1000575.jpg
    P1000575.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 61
Sweet!

I am not a racer, I know nothing of what it would take to compete at your level.....

But I was wondering,...would it benefit the aerodynamics of the vehicle , if the body panel gaps were tighter, or airplane tape was put over them, to reduce your Drag Coefficient?

Awesome job!

Simply amazing, getting over 12 mpg at over 300 mph!!!!! I would have guessed it used a heck of alot more fuel than that...

What kind of sustained EGT's do you see on a run?

Are you injecting water or using water/air intercoolers or both?

Sweet!

I am not a racer, I know nothing of what it would take to compete at your level.....

But I was wondering,...would it benefit the aerodynamics of the vehicle , if the body panel gaps were tighter, or airplane tape was put over them, to reduce your Drag Coefficient?

You are correct....the body still needs some tweaking and the plan is to lay up new molds off this original to reduce the number of seams and incorporate a new hood scoop, all in an effort to reduce drag and increase high speed stability. When the car was on it's way to Speed Week in August she broke loose in the trailer and bounced around the last 100 miles or so. Our crew spent most of the week repairing the body and re-mounting it. This might be why some of the gaps are visible....also the reason for the new body molds.

Awesome job!

Simply amazing, getting over 12 mpg at over 300 mph!!!!! I would have guessed it used a heck of alot more fuel than that...

What kind of sustained EGT's do you see on a run?

Are you injecting water or using water/air intercoolers or both?

No water/meth injection. Just using a very efficient intercooler core design and we intercool between the two turbos and the second aftercooler is incorperated into the intake manifold design. 6-7 large bags of ice in a 35 gallon tank keep the air temps below 100F.

Pics available here:
http://www.dieselperformanceresearch.com/content_Products_detail.asp?ProdID=55

Do you have any pics of that style air/water intercooler installed? Trying to visualize where the air inlet and outlet would be? Looks as though you would put your water connections in the end, water would travel one way down half the tubes and then back down the other half...

Jesse that is how it works. there is a divider not shown that separates the one end.
The air enters and exits the tapered rectangular plates on the sides. Its partially confusing in the pictures because one "core" is shown. There is one that has a different outlet on it that fed the actual intake ports of the Duramax.

You are correct....the body still needs some tweaking and the plan is to lay up new molds off this original to reduce the number of seams and incorporate a new hood scoop, all in an effort to reduce drag and increase high speed stability. When the car was on it's way to Speed Week in August she broke loose in the trailer and bounced around the last 100 miles or so. Our crew spent most of the week repairing the body and re-mounting it. This might be why some of the gaps are visible....also the reason for the new body molds.

Yeah...I noticed some fitment issues in the pics,.....though I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express,.....I did watch the Aviator..... :hehe::hehe:

Can't wait to see the new skin, ...good luck on hitting 400mph....I can't wait for that vid.

I've got a few hundred photo's of the car from our time at Bonneville. I will try to get them posted up over the next few days. It was a blast working on this thing and to think 9 months ago it was just a thought. The Goodfellows went to work and made this from the ground up in 8 months! While it has had a few issues, to go from just a thought to setting 2 records in 8 months is great.

Congrats Curtis and the Goodfellows!:rockwoot:
Glad everything worked out for you guys.

Do you have any pics of that style air/water intercooler installed? Trying to visualize where the air inlet and outlet would be? Looks as though you would put your water connections in the end, water would travel one way down half the tubes and then back down the other half...

The cooling water is routed as a two pass so that both fittings are on one end to ease the installation. It could be used as a one pass if required, just need to change the end cap. On the manifold/aftercooler, the air enters from the bottom and travels up through the cooler, changes direction in the top then goes down to the cylinder head. Still end's up quite compact concidering the cooler core is 6" in diameter and 16.5" long. The efficency of this core is amazing.

There's some more pics of the installation on this link that show the installation of the manifold/aftercooler. Thanks to Volker for posting these after Speed Week.

http://picasaweb.google.com/vsc.mde/BonnevilleSpeedweek2008

Would that be wheel hp or crank hp?

If it's crank, not impressed. If it's wheel, then I think we have a new top gun for dmax hp right?

You guys running Banks on that dmax right? LOL j/k ;-)

Back