400hp 89 Superduty

superdutypowerd

Hey what's up. New to the site. I have a 400hp 7.3 build in progress. Lookin at a cam, 150cc pump, injectors, and head studs from R&D IDI Proformance. Lookin for a good turbo and intercooler to go in it. Was plannin on about 40psi boost and was told stock pistons wouldn't hold?

Not 100% sure on the powerstrokes but I know a 5.9 wouldn't need a cam at 400hp. That money could be spent more appropriately in my opinion.

It's an IDI... Pre PSD 7.3L.

And 150cc ain't enough for 400 is it...?

It's an IDI... Pre PSD 7.3L.

And 150cc ain't enough for 400 is it...?

AFAIK, 275cc's is about 500hp worth of fuel, according to Giles. That's if it can be burned completely/efficiently.

Last edited:
IIRC it's about enough for 275-300, IF you cam, turbo, port, etc...

Nothing wrong with lovin an old IDI, but even I'm not stubborn enough to try to make power with one.

The cam will allow more efiencient cylinder boosting. Take it from a stock .379 lift to a .410 lift on both in take and exhaust with slightly longer duration. The pump is rated for 350-400 hp with a boosted engine and top shelf injectors.

You know an '89 is not a Superduty, right?

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. Superdutys are '99 and up.

Powerstrokes are '94 and up (iirc).

Idi's before that.

There were also super duty 350s. I don't know the differences but it can make getting the correct suspension and brake parts a pain. The had super duty option on 1 ton vans also. At least according to the parts guys.

Had a 95' 350 that was badged F-superduty at the shop last week... FWIW

You know an '89 is not a Superduty, right?

It's an 89 F-Superduty. Mine is the equivalent to a F-550 of the day. It has a leaf stack of 13, 10 on 7.25" lug pattern, 4 wheel hydraboost disc brakes, solid axle front end with kingpins, and 19.5" Alcoa aluminum bullet hole wheels. Settin on a 1/4" frame. My dad had 450 equivalent when I was little. Had 11 leafs on rear.

13 leafs! Hope you have a good dentist!
It's not so bad now since I put a bed on it. There for a few months I rode around bare cab & chassis. I felt bumps I never knew where there and to this day I wait to hit them, but I don't feel them anymore.

The power company here had a late 80's superduty but most all the old ones were 2wd.

They are, if you find a 4x4 Superduty it was more then likely a brush truck out west or somethin to that effect. They make an adaptor that fits a ford 8x6.5 pattern to a 10x7.25 pattern but they are hard to find for public purchase. Easy to have one made at local machine shop.