47re HARD LESSON LEARNED

rolncoal82

Well boys and girls thought I would cut a fat hog in the azz by doing away with the factory metal tranny lines and cooler under the turbo and replace with a bigger cooler up front were the other cooler was. I did this because the metal lines had a couple kinks that i wasnt fond of and a bigger cooler was in my mind a better idea, boy was i wrong!!! ALSO replaced filter and put the john deere hy gaurd fluid in it. Lets just say its going to my transmission guy today to get a full rebuild and triple disk cuz i smoked it. He explained to me that the factory lines and coolers are better than the aftermarket one i put on and rubber lines, lesson learened 3000 $$$ later we will be ok again.Sorry for the long post, learn from my mistake...:doh:

What kind of lines did you use? Been running an aftermarket cooler for years with no issues.

I used the 5/8 high temp oil lines, I noticed once I did away with the cooler under the turbo it would run bout 190 degrees it used to not even get over 100 to town and back (40 mile) trip, I did have about 10,000 lbs worth of stuff on trailer but still

Just went out to see if I could limp it to shop but forward gear it's like the tc is locked just kills truck, reverse is fine???

i deleted my heat exchanger and ran 1/2" line to 2 coolers with there own fans...i wouldnt think the rubber lines would matter but i have heard that it will hurt them with the heat exchanger pulling loads

Ya that's my guess it was fine with no load but it got up to 250 with the trailer I couldn't even let it idol cuz the temp would just climb

Im running 1/2" lines to two coolers one with fan and the other in the stock location with no heat exchanger for two years now. I haven't had a problem at all, but you got me nervous now. What are you thinking caused it to fail? Oh the hose I use is call terminator hose, it was quite expensive but no problems so far.

my plan for my fummins WAS to run a 47rh and just run the coolerlines (1/2inch high temp/psi rubber hose) straight out of the tranny and into a 6.0l tranny cooler, so by what im reading that is NOT a good idea to do?

Ya that's my guess it was fine with no load but it got up to 250 with the trailer I couldn't even let it idol cuz the temp would just climb

That's your problem right there!

Although it sounds like the cooler wasn't up to the task of keeping the tranny fluid temp in check, driver error is why you are paying $3000 for a new tranny.

Pull over and idle in neutral, or shut it off when you hit 230*.

I'll bet the fluid isn't scorched, HyGard is good stuff, but i'll bet all of the seals got cooked and became brittle.

If using rubber hose it must be transmission specific.

As stated, idle in neutral if you don't have an aftermarket valve body. I believe most aftermarket ones circulate in park.

Ur right to a point I just kept driving it hot and new it but in another note it does have a bd valve body and tc but the temp would rise reguardless of being in neutral or park after doing this. Fluid is baked smells horrible, not saying the cooler or hose was the culprit just saying after deleting the other coolers it went to hell

If using rubber hose it must be transmission specific.

As stated, idle in neutral if you don't have an aftermarket valve body. I believe most aftermarket ones circulate in park.

I believe the stockers do not circulate in neutral, but the aftermarket ones get modded to circulate in park also.

Ya that's what I've always heard but like I said temp would climb regardless of neutral or park and it never did that before the change, oh well it will be better now anyways

I'm wondering if the hose failed and plugged the cooler and that's what cooked or like it was posted earlier the cooler might not have been big enough. There are way to many people running aftermarket coolers successfully to say that the cooler is what caused it.

I know I wondered the same thing it was the biggest cooler napa carried and alot larger than the factory but who knows. I noticed thismorn when I went to move it it was pushing fluid past the clamps on cooler and tranny like it was plugged??? I even double clamped the lines

^^ I was leaning toward the same thing. Maybe something got in the hose and it plugged the cooler. I have worked on a friends truck (01 Dodge auto) that has either 1/2'' or 5/8'' cooler lines from the trans to the front cooler, to a cooler under the truck with a e-fan, then to the trans. I bet he's been running it like that sense 03 or so.. Trans has been rebuilt sense then due to dumb mistakes on the trans builder, nothing due to the cooling part.

Just curious, you knew for a fact that the lines were perfectly clean before you put them on?

Edit: forgot you bought a new cooler too. Did you blow air through the cooler? I know down here in the south dirt dobbers built nest everywhere. I mean everywhere!!

Last edited:
My cooler that is in the stock location is actualy a engine oil cooler, I went with it because it was 1/2 inch in and out without necking down anywhere and its HUGE and there is no flow restriction at all. The other cooler is a derale with a fan, I have it set to turn on at 175 to 180 deg. and it never turns on, my average temp is about 130 to 140 is all, 160 if I'm beating on it in traffic on a hot day, it has done a great job for me so far. It sound like you have a restriction somewhere, or maybe a pump issue? if your pump isn't up to snuff that would make the clutches slip and heat very quickly on top of not circulating the fluid though the coolers. Just a though.

That's basically the same cooler I got same in and out with no restriction in the stock location. I don't know guys all I'm saying is it didn't work out the way I thought weather it was coolers or something in tranny but it happened the day I changed it all. Going back the way it was and getn a full rebuild with the goods and go from there

That's basically the same cooler I got same in and out with no restriction in the stock location. I don't know guys all I'm saying is it didn't work out the way I thought weather it was coolers or something in tranny but it happened the day I changed it all. Going back the way it was and getn a full rebuild with the goods and go from there

Well that sucks man sorry to hear about your trans, good luck with the new one I hope it turns out better for ya. Thats a sexy truck by the way, I'm a sucker for black sports.

Stock transmissions circulate fluid in neutral. Aftermarket valvebodies, transgo shift kit, etc enable fluid circulation in park.

The reason why the temp gauge spiked when you pulled over is the amount of airflow through the cooler dropped and you started circulating all of the hot fluid from the converter. On my truck, when I first put it in neutral, the fluid temp will rise for just a few seconds as it pushes all of the hot fluid out of the trans and converter.

Also, where is your tranny temp gauge located? Is it before the cooler, after the cooler in/on the return line, or in the pan?