47rh no reverse

lee01dg

Well I done a search and didn't find much, so I'll ask some of the tranny guru's here. I had the trans rebuilt last year and everything has worked fine so far until today. I used reverse several times this morning and the last time didn't work, it would shake the truck a little but other than that nothing. All forward gears work fine as well as overdrive and lock up. Fluid level is good and trans temp. barley over a hundred. Any ideas?

Will the truck drive forward normally with gear shifted in "L". If it doesn't feel the same in first gear as it does in "D" and in first gear, the rear/low/reverse band has issues.

Last time mine had problems the valvebody had worked it's way loose and it was not providing adequate hydraulic pressure to correctly operate the band. It would just barely engage reverse hard enough to feel it engage but not firm enough to move the truck.

If the O/D direct snap ring breaks you'll lose reverse. When I lost reverse I also had no 3rd gear or O/D. My problem ended up being a cracked forward drum and piston.

Yes if you lose the direct clutches in the OD unit, no reverse, but the overrunning clutch will give you forward.

Thanks for the replies guys. BigBlue I'm not sure what you are saying, it shifts fine throughout the forward gears except going into drive has gotten a little softer than when it was fresh but I doubt that has much to do with my reverse or could it? I should have included this in my first post but I swapped in the rh and have an aftermarket shifter, my overdrive and lockup are on switches. I have not tried shifting into L and seeing if it feels the same as D. What would I be looking for? How hard it pulls or what? I'm calling the guy who built it Monday and see when he can get it in. I don't know much about what goes on behind the engine. I'm just trying to get an idea for my sake.Thanks, Lee

Pulling it in manual 1 your looking for engine braking. Sadly if either the low/reverse band is out or the direct clutches in the OD are messed up. They should both not allow you to have any engine braking. Being that you have drive and OD that tells us the front clutch appears to be working.

Yeah all forward gears seem to work fine. I drove home and parked it cause I didn't know if I'd screw anything else up. I'll try the manual first gear thing tomorrow. Well appreciated guys. Will be heading to the tranny shop next week to get the verdict. Well I just remembered something, I don't usually drive my truck hard, but like everyone else the quest more power leads you there. I noticed a time or two that when I go from drive to overdrive with converter locked it slips for a second this is only on w/o runs and it only done it a few times and no slippage in any other gears I am confident that it's not due to high hp with my pile. Would this have anything to do with what happened with reverse?

Well just got my truck back from shop no reverse was due to a peg broken off of a piston. Also burnt up some overdrive clutches. Servo lip seal and reverse band looked new.