4bt 14mm ve

Dgeman

Pro from LCP
I checked around and all I find is people talking about a 14mm head and diff. camplate for 4cyl ve's. Anyone know a part number or an application or anything. Thanks Mike

There is no OEM application 14mm head or 4mm camplate; anything you find is a full custom part.

Note that 4 cylinder VE's move as much total fuel, if not more, than 6 cylinder VE's. A stock VE isn't the same neck albatross on a 4bt as it is on a 6bt.

There is no OEM application 14mm head or 4mm camplate; anything you find is a full custom part.

Note that 4 cylinder VE's move as much total fuel, if not more, than 6 cylinder VE's. A stock VE isn't the same neck albatross on a 4bt as it is on a 6bt.

they put out volume but not pressure correct? does that imply that you just have to go with bigger injectors and live with a smokey cynerio? just asking questions for my brothers 7o cheby we put one in 2 years ago.. i baught some pod injectors for it and we ended up taking them back out for the above mentioned was more than he wanted to drive with.. and if anyone wants them ill let them go cheap.. i have some 5x14 and 5x16 nozzles to try some day when we get around to changing the turbo.. thanks for any help or insight

That's debatable... You need to monitor injection pump case pressure and make sure it's stays 100+ PSI when you're on it. The VE has a medium-pressure transfer pump built into it's nose; with bigger-than-stock injectors or a bigger-than-stock rotor, the transfer pump can't keep up and the pump internals starve of cooling and lubrication. Increasing lift pump pressure through the roof helps only marginally.

they put out volume but not pressure correct? does that imply that you just have to go with bigger injectors and live with a smokey cynerio? just asking questions for my brothers 7o cheby we put one in 2 years ago.. i baught some pod injectors for it and we ended up taking them back out for the above mentioned was more than he wanted to drive with.. and if anyone wants them ill let them go cheap.. i have some 5x14 and 5x16 nozzles to try some day when we get around to changing the turbo.. thanks for any help or insight

They can't make either at RPM...

The VE has great manners, but only one pumping element for all cylinders; there's different diameter ones, the 4-cylinder models typically are 10 or 11mm in diameter (depending on engine size, I think VW's use smaller ones than Cummins) while the 6-cylinder Cummins models are 12mm in diameter. The smaller diameter rotors don't move the volume but they live at higher RPM. They all make about the same injection pressure if at the same case pressure.

A 6-cylinder VE is reciprocating at 3 times engine RPM; 150 times a second at 3000 RPM. A 4-cylinder VE only has to move at twice engine RPM, so if it has the same sized rotor it's moving as much fuel at 4500 RPM as the 6-cylinder model is at 3000 RPM.

They can't make either at RPM...

The VE has great manners, but only one pumping element for all cylinders; there's different diameter ones, the 4-cylinder models typically are 10 or 11mm in diameter (depending on engine size, I think VW's use smaller ones than Cummins) while the 6-cylinder Cummins models are 12mm in diameter. The smaller diameter rotors don't move the volume but they live at higher RPM. They all make about the same injection pressure if at the same case pressure.

A 6-cylinder VE is reciprocating at 3 times engine RPM; 150 times a second at 3000 RPM. A 4-cylinder VE only has to move at twice engine RPM, so if it has the same sized rotor it's moving as much fuel at 4500 RPM as the 6-cylinder model is at 3000 RPM.

ok that makes sence to me.. thank you for the info.. and so if im understanding this right a camplate would just move that piston or pumping element farther to increase volume.. in the end it seems like its just easier and safer to get a p pump for this..

To the op, how much power are you wanting that you think you need a 14mm pump head?

I'm not gonna say I need a 14mm head but I wanted to know the availability. I'm building a Wrangler to put a 4bt in for dirt drags and tough truck events. I'd like to have it in the 400hp range or better(to start with anyway). I don't like seeing the money I have to spend to get a P pump for a 4bt. Plus keeping a VE I can have timing advance with rpm which will help make torque off the line and in corners.

Your right! The ve pump has much more drivability, but to put a 14 mm head on the ve pump you'll end up with as much money as a p-pump! But then you will have a hell raiser of an engine!!!!!