5.9-8.3 swap

Wozxxx86

i need money
i came across a good 96' 8.3 cummins with an ag gov pump on it. i was wondering what the feasability of the swap would be? i know its a lil bigger like 500lbs heavier and im sure id have to get a different tranny.

I wouldn't even know were to start to try an fit that thing in there, the 8.3 is a lot bigger

There was a guy who put one in a early 90's F350,so it will fit in a light duty truck.I had a 8.3 I sold last year that weight in at 1760 lbs. w/ acc. on it.It would be a cool swap and even cooler if they came with a Jake brake:rockwoot:

Why swap?

It'd be a lot of work, and more than a few custom parts. What do you hope to gain from it?

Other than the uniqueness factor what are your other reasons for doing this swap. If its for power then stick with the 5.9 cause it'll make more than enough power.

displacement is displacement, and an 8.3 will make more power than a 5.9.

it would be alot of work, and a very cool looker for sure.

what trans would you use?

transfer case?

im going to guess the hp:torque ratio will be VERY destructive on drive line parts.

switch it because you can!! thats it plain and simple. now days if it aint costum nobody wants it, so if you ever wanna sell it you prob could pretty easy.

transfer case?

im going to guess the hp:torque ratio will be VERY destructive on drive line parts.

Never said it wouldn't but for 99% of the folks on this board the 5.9 will do all they want plus some and it wouldn't require a crap load of extraneous work.

But like I said, if your doing it for the cool factor then more power to ya.

transfer case?

it will make more power if you have proportionate supporting mods...

most guys can't support as much as a 12mm P-pump will put out... which is what an 8.3 comes with... but the 8.3 will make the power a lot earlier which means a lot more torque, which means a lot of broken parts

how many shops do you know that can turn around an o-ring job on an 8.3 head in a few days? you got a good line on head studs for an 8.3?

stick with the 5.9 IMO

Sell it to me and I will put it in my Tempo.

Which do you think weighs more? Tempo or motor? :D

I'd love to see what it would do in a 3/4 ton, with a few mods on the dyno. Where do you plan on getting a trans for it? What about axles and the rest of the drivetrain?

a little bigger is a lot bigger when your current engine barely fits!

that can easily be overcome with a sledge hammer a hacksaw and a welder!

i think you should go for it, ive never seen an 8.3 in a 3/4 ton truck. that would be pretty awesome!

BUT i have to agree with the other guys, a 5.9 will make plenty of power for what you need and wount call for too much custom one off parts

switch it because you can!! thats it plain and simple. now days if it aint costum nobody wants it, so if you ever wanna sell it you prob could pretty easy.
I'd think it would be a pain to try and sell... That might be just me though...

that can easily be overcome with a sledge hammer a hacksaw and a welder!

i think you should go for it, ive never seen an 8.3 in a 3/4 ton truck. that would be pretty awesome!

BUT i have to agree with the other guys, a 5.9 will make plenty of power for what you need and wount call for too much custom one off parts
Ever think there might be a reason you haven't ever seen it?

well... i was thinkin about puttin it in a pos 93 or earlyer that had a toasted motor. and as far as drivetrain. im sure a dana 80 would handle it only cause the truck isnt nearly as heavy as what the motor was designd for. im mean a ford 9 can handle drag racing so why not. as for tranny. im thinkin 6spd outta a truck with similar motor. or 10spd. or an older allison outta an L9000. and it would prolly only be 2wd. atleast till i get funds to get a divorced mount atlas. as far as the cool factor, well wouldnt it just sound cool? with 6inch stacks. i wasnt doin it for added performance but i know it would be pretty radical and prolly expensive if i were to hot rod it to the point that a 5.9 can be. but hell with a larger turbo and a cut plate im sure that it would make plenty of power without breakin a swet. course im sure i could fit it in a newer style truck ie. my current dd. i mean in 4wheeler they fit a viper 10 in a durango with doghouse mods and a few other things. atleast the 8.3 would be darn near identical other than size.

The additional 700ish pounds alone would demand major suspension modifications and upgrades... And prob put you close to GVW by the time you installed a suitable tranny and frame upgrades.

DO IT! DONT BE WEAK!

if i had that motor i would do it.
its all about custom! :rockwoot: