5.9-8.3 swap

i will vouge for the 8.3 cracking cylinder walls happened twice to me in my peterbuilt medium duty truck we turned down the pump and took off the turbo now it runs at low rpms and were hopeing it wont happen again

forget about the engine compartment, just mount it in the bed with a v-drive. A guy in diesel power put a 14L cummins in the back of an f150 (boxed frame, and F350 rear axle). He left a 6cyl in the front to run for accessories. It was awesome!!

8.3 is one hell of a power house. The hardest part was turning down the bellhousing on the lathe.

Attachments

• truck_003.jpg
    truck_003.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 142
  • truck_004(2).jpg
    truck_004(2).jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 112
  • truck_005.jpg
    truck_005.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 106
  • truck_007(2).jpg
    truck_007(2).jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 102
well... i was thinkin about puttin it in a pos 93 or earlyer that had a toasted motor. and as far as drivetrain. im sure a dana 80 would handle it only cause the truck isnt nearly as heavy as what the motor was designd for. im mean a ford 9 can handle drag racing so why not. as for tranny. im thinkin 6spd outta a truck with similar motor. or 10spd. or an older allison outta an L9000. and it would prolly only be 2wd. atleast till i get funds to get a divorced mount atlas. as far as the cool factor, well wouldnt it just sound cool? with 6inch stacks. i wasnt doin it for added performance but i know it would be pretty radical and prolly expensive if i were to hot rod it to the point that a 5.9 can be. but hell with a larger turbo and a cut plate im sure that it would make plenty of power without breakin a swet. course im sure i could fit it in a newer style truck ie. my current dd. i mean in 4wheeler they fit a viper 10 in a durango with doghouse mods and a few other things. atleast the 8.3 would be darn near identical other than size.

i think you should do it, theirs been a few guys putting a dt466 in their fords that is not a small engine, i think the 8.3 would be ass in a pickup.

food for thought,, the 370hp marine b series uses more fuel than the 450hp c series so just think of that potential... its just a bigger motor with more potential power out-put hp.. i think it a great idea and a bad ass truck

that 04' is is pretty clean, it only shows that everything will fit in the front of the dodge where as it wont in a ford. looks great tho. ona side note. does a newer c series have the same cracking issue that the older one had?

Nice build. You have any more pictures.:rockwoot: How much extra weight is on the front end of the truck? I want to do that now.:Cheer:

Im not exactly sure how much more weight it added. I took the air compressor and some of that stuff off and it did shave some weight. You can walk rite through snow banks when plowing with it. Ile see what I have for pictures and post when i get a chance.

The added weight was just about 300 lbs. But as most people state, by the time u add a winch bumper and winch or snow plow your getting up there in lbs on the front end.

displacement is displacement, and an 8.3 will make more power than a 5.9.

it would be alot of work, and a very cool looker for sure.

what trans would you use?

transfer case?

im going to guess the hp:torque ratio will be VERY destructive on drive line parts.

well... i was thinkin about puttin it in a pos 93 or earlyer that had a toasted motor. and as far as drivetrain. im sure a dana 80 would handle it only cause the truck isnt nearly as heavy as what the motor was designd for. im mean a ford 9 can handle drag racing so why not. as for tranny. im thinkin 6spd outta a truck with similar motor. or 10spd. or an older allison outta an L9000. and it would prolly only be 2wd. atleast till i get funds to get a divorced mount atlas. as far as the cool factor, well wouldnt it just sound cool? with 6inch stacks. i wasnt doin it for added performance but i know it would be pretty radical and prolly expensive if i were to hot rod it to the point that a 5.9 can be. but hell with a larger turbo and a cut plate im sure that it would make plenty of power without breakin a swet. course im sure i could fit it in a newer style truck ie. my current dd. i mean in 4wheeler they fit a viper 10 in a durango with doghouse mods and a few other things. atleast the 8.3 would be darn near identical other than size.

'C' uses same flywheel mounting as a 'B' so I don't think it wouldn't be hard to get the right drive train behind it..

does a newer c series have the same cracking issue that the older one had?

a 'c' uses liners.. how is there a 'cylinder cracking issue'? Liners crack.. I've seen blocks crack in between cylinders.. normal problems...

the dt-466 has a chitload of problems in factory form as well.. if your pocket is deep enough, a hi performance 'C' build would be hardcore!!!

Last edited:
a little bigger is a lot bigger when your current engine barely fits!

You know, people said the same darn thing when a friend and I decided to swap an LA small block 318 into a 99 Intrepid... They all had to eat crow when it turnout it took VERY little modification, and now we've put two more together. I just finished another 99, but this time with a 5.2 Magnum and a 46RH.

To the OP, I say go for it!

You know, people said the same darn thing when a friend and I decided to swap an LA small block 318 into a 99 Intrepid... They all had to eat crow when it turnout it took VERY little modification, and now we've put two more together. I just finished another 99, but this time with a 5.2 Magnum and a 46RH.

To the OP, I say go for it!

Only someone from Cheeseland would drop a 318 in a 99 Intrepid. :hehe:

food for thought,, the 370hp marine b series uses more fuel than the 450hp c series so just think of that potential... its just a bigger motor with more potential power out-put hp.. i think it a great idea and a bad ass truck

How do you figure?

Only someone from Cheeseland would drop a 318 in a 99 Intrepid. :hehe:
Hey now, don`t knock the cheese... :kick: that stuff is tasty! LOL Oh and don`t worry about the 318, that`s just to see if the V8 can compete with the V6s as far as mileage goes... There`s a nasty 550+ bhp 360 in the works when I`m done with school :evil

I advanced the timing some more and added a set of 4k springs. Man the trucks revs up and out in no time. Ile have it for sale on ebay here pretty soon ive got a new project in the works.