53 Block

KVD

I know all bout the 53 block thing but I found a real nice 99. One owner, never towed nice truck just worried bout the block.

So heres the question, would that keep for from buyin the truck??

Second, is there anything a can do to keep it from crackin??

I know they make a repair kit and comes with a gusset, could I use just the gusset before it cracks??

I don't plan to tow with this truck but I do want between 450 and 500 hp.

With a 53 it's really a crap shoot , some have good luck no breaking and I know of a few inthat hp range with no issues. But I have seen more broke ones than not. It can be repaired using a pin a stitch method.

This is really your decision.

I would buy it I think the 53 didn't come in until 2000 but I could be wrong. Not only the 53 blocks crack. If you will be easy on it until the temp comes up and use the block heater in the winter, it is said to lessen the chances. Also keeping the cooling system in good shape doesn't hurt.

Dont worry about the 53block you will be fine, ive seen other blocks not just 53's bust so buy it if you like it and if she breaks then fix her.

Graphic Man has over 200,000 miles on a 53 block, and he's putting out over 600hp.

We have 2 99's, both with 53 blocks and we just noticed the other day the one is cracked and leaking:bang

if you can get the truck for less than its worth then it would be worth it,
if down the road you had to replace the block$.02

I have a 53 with 250,000 miles, been running a drag comp and rv injectors on it for the past 80K, ran hard, towing, drag racing, you name it. If it hasnt broke in the first 150K, then it probably wont...

But, the new engine, the 600+hp 12v that's going in it, has a 4 digit block number, I think its one of those Brazilian blocks, it seems pretty thick.

My 53 block is crack free. 233K miles, lots of towing, lots of horseplay.

Even maxed out the temp gauge racing a Powerstroke up Malad Summit 6000+ft towing 10K trailer. Had him by 3 lengths when we reached the summit at 80+mph. Looked down and let out on the backside. He passed me back and flew the bird....typical.

I bet you can peg the guage a lot with those jammer 5's and hx35(the 3rd gen turbo, thats all that is right?) I got rv's and a drag comp and it will hit 1600 by 4th gear drag racing it, IIRC, it's been a while since it's been hot, the clutch hasnt been holding the #2 level, and I can slip on stock. Thank god the clutch is going to be here monday, I dont think it would make it much longer.

I have a 53 block and no problems yet (knock on wood). It spends most of its time hooked to a trailer too, but on the other hand one of the trucks i work on cracked last month, so its a hit or miss thing.

I bet you can peg the guage a lot with those jammer 5's and hx35(the 3rd gen turbo, thats all that is right?) I got rv's and a drag comp and it will hit 1600 by 4th gear drag racing it, IIRC, it's been a while since it's been hot, the clutch hasnt been holding the #2 level, and I can slip on stock. Thank god the clutch is going to be here monday, I dont think it would make it much longer.
I think he meant the coolant temp.

My tow rig has a 53 block 250,000 miles and just added lately jammer 5's and a drag comp....... No cracks yet, I was not going to let that scare me away from a good deal IMO.
Brandon

My 98 12v is a 53, but I hear the 12v's don't crack as often??

My Uncle's old 2000 was a 53, at 203K miles he sold it, and it had towed heavy most of it's life...The new owner took it to 450sp and towed his backhoe with it. Hew still has it, and the engine has never been out of the truck. My Uncle sold it 5 years ago;)

If it's the truck you want, see if you can talk them down a bit, and buy it...I wouldn't let it scare me away...but the thought will always be in the back of your head!

Chris

My 98 12v is a 53, but I hear the 12v's don't crack as often??

My Uncle's old 2000 was a 53, at 203K miles he sold it, and it had towed heavy most of it's life...The new owner took it to 450sp and towed his backhoe with it. Hew still has it, and the engine has never been out of the truck. My Uncle sold it 5 years ago;)

If it's the truck you want, see if you can talk them down a bit, and buy it...I wouldn't let it scare me away...but the thought will always be in the back of your head!

Chris

Do you have a STORM block?