6.0l headgaskets

joshgilvin34

i gotta questions for you guys out there. i have a 6.0 powerstroke and i am gonna stud the heads here soon. i am a ford diesel tech and my truck is still under warranty so when go to do the head gaskets are the stock head gaskets that i get from ford are they strong enough to withstand the extra boost that is being made from my programmer? I also plan on doing some other things later down the road like injectors and that type stuff but i was just curious to know if i should buy aftermarket head gaskets or not.

I've read the stock gaskets are good to 500 hp with aftermarket studs.

I've also read that the Hypermax aftermarket gaskets (crush type or fire rings) are *not* recommended when you use aftermarket studs. Why? Wouldn't this add even more reliability?

I'd like to do studs too, but I don't have any problems yet. Stock or Hypermax? Which would add the best protection for a 500 HP towing rig?

Thanks.

Well, Redneck 6.0l still uses stock head gaskets and he is at 1004hp

I don't recommend anything but a stock MLS gasket.

im running stock gaskets with arp and no problems just be shure to tourqe those studs to arp specs not ats or anything else i ran into that problem

Last edited:
YA what he said !! Lifting the cab twice because you used ATS specs instead of ARP wasn't the most fun I've ever had !

I've heard to use nothing but OEM gaskets...

snowbound.... that sucks dude.

not to go off topic but what do you guys us to lift the cab if you dont have a car lift

i dont think there is any other way to lift the cab on these trucks without a hoist. unless you got some really tall guys that are pretty strong that could do it.

I'm sure they do, just google it and email them. They are $380 shipped to my door.

Stock MLS gaskets will do just fine as long as your Heads are flat!!!!

Browns is where I got mine. There was another shop that was like $5 cheaper, but I can never find info on them. Just google Browns diesel, its in Cali.

Eric has them at Innovative and he will work with you on them.

My local guy who hooks me up on parts couldn't even get me the ARP's at his cost for as cheap as I got them from Browns. He was at a loss. Told me I was an idiot if I didn't get them from Browns because of this... I've only seen one other shop at this price level and it wasn't Innovative. Not knocking them, because I've bought a few things from them and love their customer service, but IMO Browns is the way to go.

Browns Diesel Phone # is right at the top of the page...