6.0L Hot set ups?

Nor-Cal Nick

Nor-Cal Nick
I'm running a 2006 6.0L,
So what are the hot set ups that you guys are running? First, I don't want to see 100 posts about SCT here. I know that people like that. What I what to here is more than that. Give me feed back on Water, Nos, Injectors, Trannys, Fuel adds or systems, and any other mods that are after the top three (intake,computer,exhaust)

If you check out Turbonetics web site, they have, I believe, a 66, 70, 72, and a 76mm aftermarket turbo for the 6.0L. (Black Widow Diesel also has them)
I think you would need to do the fuel system, and injectors before the turbo thou...

If you get water/meth injection, you have to stud the heads before it is installed.....or shortly after...your choice.

Welcome aboard sic250!

While you dont want to hear the SCT stuff, I think starting with an SCT and some headstuds will lay the foundation for your future mods. You will need to tune for a turbo, injectors, & NOS anyway, so you might as well plan for the future while saving money.
There are a few places with hardcore 6.0 stuff. Bean and ATS both have turbos and injectors, Ryan Bean is a vendor here so any questions you have can be easily answered.
As for water/meth, I have no experience with it, but I have read many times that the 6.0 does not play well with it, so you may want to go with just a shot of nitrous.
Good luck with your decision, you have come to the right place to get answers for your build up.

what is your goal with the truck? Good honest power, pulling boats and red-light racing, or hard high rpm track running? That will dictate to some extent which way you want to go.

I want a fast street truck. When I said I don't want to hear about SCT it was because I already run a Edge and what to hear about the performace upgrades that some of you guys are run after computor upgrades. I don't have any problems with the SCT, I want to talk about other upgrades.

What do people think about
water/meth?
nos?
or anything else I can do to get some more power from what I have know. See stat below in my sig.

Thanks

Well water/meth isn't really a safe power adder for a 6.0 like Nitrous is. But with the nitrous having the sct would be alot better because you can turn the fuel up more. Plus if you decide to get injectors or a turbo down the road you will need it for the tuning because the edge does nothing for it

If you go as far as injectors and turbo upgrades..your Edge will be useless. Those mods NEED custom tuning.
Now...iuf you wanna run a small shot of nitrous...you might get it to take a .072 jet if you turn your fuel up to 5.
Meth...I'm not a fan.
If you're not gonna run injectors...you really don't need a full fuel system either.

ok now this is what I what to here. I run the Edge because that is what I sale to all my customers. Like I said SCT is a good tuner but its for the higher end customers. I am trying to decide what I want to do with this truck as in steeping it up to some custom tuner and nos w/injectors and head studs.
I was looking at the ATS parts ?? who has a good nos kit?

1sic250 said:
Like I said SCT is a good tuner but its for the higher end customers.

Why would you say that??? Because it doesn't have GPS and backup cameras??? Trust me that most of the 'high end' diesel performance folks would rather run an SCT then an Edge box. I will get off the soap box now but feel your comments were are bit out there....

For NOS... We sell Nitrous Express. Others use ZEX too.

CBSuperDuty said:
Why would you say that??? Because it doesn't have GPS and backup cameras??? Trust me that most of the 'high end' diesel performance folks would rather run an SCT then an Edge box. I will get off the soap box now but feel your comments were are bit out there....

For NOS... We sell Nitrous Express. Others use ZEX too.

I said SCT is for a higher end customer such as one that needs custom tunes. I think you thought I ment SCT is not for a high end customer. Sorry if you took it wrong.

p.s Thanks for the heads up on nos mfg's

I dont think he is trying to say anything bad. He is simply saying that the SCT is for the people who want the performance, as in high end people rather than the options that come with edge and others. I myself know that SCT is good, but I have been watching this post to gain knowledge as well, and I get tired of people saying: trade in your programmer and go with SCT. I myself sell Bully Dog to my customers so thats what I run. I want to hear other things other than SCT to get a better perspective on what everyone is doing as well.

1sicf250- This is what I have done. I have run many things and I am starting to like the new setup so far. I have run about every programmer thats out there. At first I ran the edge, then bully dog. I like both. The edge platinum seems to run as good as the triple dog, however I personally like the shifting better on the triple dog. There has to do something with the defueling and shift time...I dont know. To be honest I love both. Well, I wanted more power. So, I looked for options. I have buddies that run propane and the other one runs nos. They are satisfied but always are tearing something up or somethings not working. So I didnt want to do that. I looked at other ways such as stacking chips. I first bought the TS Mp-8 casue its stackable. Well, dont buy this one. It messes with your transmission settings and it just doesnt do what it says. Its better for the chevys and dodges in my opinion. So I called TSPerformance again and they hooked me up with a custom tuned TS Instigator. Well, I am very pleased. It is awesome. This thing moves right now. I cant keep it from white smokin the tires. It shifts awesome and runs smooth. Love it. Just an idea for you. I got the custom race version which is 165 HP stacked with my triple dog. So as you can see I have about 300 HP adjustable with intake and exhaust and other things. I just went to the track and ran a 14.563 at 95 MPH. I am running 37's right now. I thought that wasnt bad. Just a thought for you.

My appologies. I did in fact read it wrong. I thought you were saying that it wasn't for high end customers.:doh:

Again sorry for the confusion.

Well with running those stacked you need to be very careful of cylinder pressures. Also why run a tuner and module stacked when you could get a SCT have better shifting and run the same times if not better.......Not trying to just push SCT but I've ran the TS 5x, Edge, BD Powerpup, Superchips 1704, and the SCT and nothing runs as strong or shifts as good.

Edit: The TS Performance 5x is the next best thing to the sct as far as a tuner goes imho.

onebadsixoh said:
Well with running those stacked you need to be very careful of cylinder pressures. Also why run a tuner and module stacked when you could get a SCT have better shifting and run the same times if not better.......Not trying to just push SCT but I've ran the TS 5x, Edge, BD Powerpup, Superchips 1704, and the SCT and nothing runs as strong or shifts as good.

Edit: The TS Performance 5x is the next best thing to the sct as far as a tuner goes imho.

Agreed 100%.

showoff,
Great post! I didn't know how to put this the first time so I was testing the water on the subject. I tryed dieselstop before and I didn't like how people talked with no backing other than following what others said. Not all did that but I never got a good talk about performance.
Here is where I'm at. I sale EDGE all day long to my customers because it works great for all customers. It has a lot of cool features that customers in my area what. I would love to keep my EDGE and A2 in the mix but take it to the next level. In doing that if a guy comes in and whats a EDGE I can show him on my truck. If that same guy comes back or a new guy comes in and whats more I can help him go there also. The money part is not the biggest thing, but I myself needs to be able to help what ever customer comes in. I myself am ready to go to the next level. I just installed a SNOW meth kit and felt a big increase of power but some are telling me thats not the way to go. I have studs coming so I know thats a problem. Who can tell me what I can stack with a EDGE and nos vs. water meth ??????

Thanks to all, we all speed time and money playing with our trucks so we can learn from each other.

Well I personally would stay away from the meth kit unless just running water or 20% Meth/80% water mix. But with the water only I've only heard of like 10 rwhp gains and I'm not sure about the mix. I would recommend the snow system before stacking tuners/modules on a 6.0...................The cylinder pressures with just a tuner is high enough with these trucks and especially when you add something on top of it and aren't sure of what the module actually does as far as increasing fueling, timing, etc. Like I said I am biased towards the SCT but as stated in my previous post I have ran most of the popular tuners out there in one of these trucks and it's hands down the best. I agree the A2 is a neat looking unit but I've also heard bad things about them freezing up. SCT supposedly is coming out with a monitor soon that has a neat look to it but lacks on the fly adjustibility. Take it as you will but this post is purely to steer you away from stacking tuners/modules!

I know that the SCT's are customed tuned so does anyone know who can tune one to get some more power in other areas that can be stacked on the EDGE? What water meth mix are people using thats not working well, I'm just using the Snow Juice.

You could call Dj or Doug and ask them about tuning with the edge stacked but I don't know. I think the most I've heard ran was like 30M/70W but I haven't really looked around to see what people were doing because there aren't many out there using it.