6.7 Mileage test

curtrwall

Today I did a little testing to find out how the regen cycle effects the mileage on our trucks. The first leg of the trip was a 50 mile stretch with the truck in regen for 20 of those miles. Hand calculated 14 mpg. That sucks. The trip home was the same 50 mile trip without the truck going into regen. Again with "True" hand calculations 22 mpg!!!! So the moral of the story is WE MUST FIND A WAY TO "X" THE DPF!!!!

actually the best way to test is to do a longer trip, closer to a tank full, one with regen one without (round trip each time, If a tankfull is possible between cycles on those things??)

that's the nice thing about the larger trucks, we get to choose when it regens (within reason, it still NEEDS to be done, you can just delay it if the timing isn't good).

Alright here what mine has done picked up truck in jackson hole wy, avg 15.6 mpg back to colorado, next weekend drive to billings montana and back to colorado avg 17.8 things are looking up. all at 75+ mph. now the bad leave craig colorado drive 17.5 hrs back home to wisconsin straight never turned truck off while fueling and added 4 tank fulls over 1200 miles non stop avg 12.3 at 85 mph was very dishearting since to i went to colorado in a duallie loaded down and still got 23.8. i am hoping that with a programmer my mileage will improve today is my 51st day of ownership been to the dealer once already and has 6106 miles, jr

i was thinking of trading my 02 psd in on one of these 6.7 but no one seems to be happy with them

I test drove one for the hell of it the other day. Ran pretty damn good. I wouldnt trade my truck for one, but it was nice for sure.

I love mine. I get around 17mpg pulling my tool trailer back and forth between Denver. If I do alot of in town driving it will drop to around 15 or so.

It gets about 9.5-10 when I'm plowing. Not as good as my ISB did but not to bad either.

Also, isn't there a dash light that comes on when the truck goes into Regen? I've NEVER had it come on and the system moniter has never showed anything other than OK the whole time I've owned the truck. It's got 67xx miles on it now. Is there any possibility that it can go that long without a Regen cycle? Either its never done it or I'm not noticing it.

J.Keith said:
Also, isn't there a dash light that comes on when the truck goes into Regen? I've NEVER had it come on and the system moniter has never showed anything other than OK the whole time I've owned the truck. It's got 67xx miles on it now. Is there any possibility that it can go that long without a Regen cycle? Either its never done it or I'm not noticing it.

I want to know this too. I have 7255 miles and no sign of ever having a regen cycle. No indications to me at all. Does the overhead tattle tale state when the engine is in regen?

I don't think you can tell when it goes into regen without some sort of programmer. I just put on the Juice with Attitude and it will tell you when it regens. Other than that I couldn't tell. I was surprised to see it regen for 10 minutes yesterday. I LOVE my truck but wish I got as good fuel economy as you guys are. usually averages 11-12 around town and only 14 on the hwy. Course it would help if I could keep my foot out of it and slow down a bit. :) :)

off the lot..... 12 MPG. Cruise set @ 72 = 12.6 MPG (overhead).

I love my truck also. I can tell when in regen by the pyro. guage. I have a total of about 26000 miles on truck and avg about 14 mpg all types of driving, towing, etc.

I set cruise from Bill, WY to Golden, CO cruise set at 50(Yes 50MPH), and averaged 26.7MPG.... Not Lying either took a picture of it. That was for a 300+mi tank w/o DPF and Derate in effect.

drove from colorado to b.c. canada back threw spokane to colorado put on 2780 miles in 4days avg 17.3 on overhead saw as high as 18.8 and as low as 14.3, way better than my last trip, jr

jr22 said:
Alright here what mine has done picked up truck in jackson hole wy, avg 15.6 mpg back to colorado, next weekend drive to billings montana and back to colorado avg 17.8 things are looking up. all at 75+ mph. now the bad leave craig colorado drive 17.5 hrs back home to wisconsin straight never turned truck off while fueling and added 4 tank fulls over 1200 miles non stop avg 12.3 at 85 mph was very dishearting since to i went to colorado in a duallie loaded down and still got 23.8. i am hoping that with a programmer my mileage will improve today is my 51st day of ownership been to the dealer once already and has 6106 miles, jr

Was this with a programmer and if so which one. What were your speeds??? I just added the Juice w attitude a week ago and now I need to keep my foot out of it to see if I really have any improvement.

J.Keith said:
I love mine. I get around 17mpg pulling my tool trailer back and forth between Denver. If I do alot of in town driving it will drop to around 15 or so.

It gets about 9.5-10 when I'm plowing. Not as good as my ISB did but not to bad either.

If you're working the truck constantly or regularly so that the egts get hot enough to burn it out then I would say it could just about go forever without a regen cycle.

DieselLady said:
Was this with a programmer and if so which one. What were your speeds??? I just added the Juice w attitude a week ago and now I need to keep my foot out of it to see if I really have any improvement.
mine is with no aftermarket engine items, I am running power service at every fill ups and a new fuel filter before trip avg around 70-75 mph with a couple of 95-100 mph threw idaho and montana, jr