6.7 Mileage test

2001shrtbedcmns said:
If you're working the truck constantly or regularly so that the egts get hot enough to burn it out then I would say it could just about go forever without a regen cycle.

Still will kick into regen you cant keep it hot enough long enouh consistently to not have it kick into regen

kmkdiesel said:
Still will kick into regen you cant keep it hot enough long enouh consistently to not have it kick into regen
lets just say you keep it running up a 4% grade pulling 20k lbs running 80 mph. Still not hot enough?

Might not regen, but your fuel mileage will be even worse than during a regen...

I would like to know what new 2007 spec'ed trucks are getting interms of fuel economy... my guess is they are about the same since they get worked so frequently.

Some of these quotes about mileage, especially the one about taking a picture of it are somewhat misleading, because the overhead and actual mileage will vary greatly. Hand calculated #'s are the only ones that have any real meaning.

boatman22 said:
Why would the overhead read out be off by that much?
Mostly because the computer looks at throttle position sensor to determine fuel economy. If you are rolling down the road at 75mph with only a little throttle it thinks you are getting better economy than you are. Or at least that's the way it used to be in the older trucks. I can only assume it is that way in the new ones too.

If you have a tuner it will throw it off as well because it thinks it is using less fuel than it really is.

Regen cycle....

curtrwall said:
Today I did a little testing to find out how the regen cycle effects the mileage on our trucks. The first leg of the trip was a 50 mile stretch with the truck in regen for 20 of those miles. Hand calculated 14 mpg. That sucks. The trip home was the same 50 mile trip without the truck going into regen. Again with "True" hand calculations 22 mpg!!!! So the moral of the story is WE MUST FIND A WAY TO "X" THE DPF!!!!

How do you know when the regen cycle starts? I have driven mine (2007.5 - 6.7 cummins - on the highway for more than 2 hours. I didn't notice any difference in the way it ran or with the milaege. I get about 13 mpg consistantly (up from about 11), regaurdless if I'm on the highway or in the city. I have 11k miles now.
Erik

I really don't think you can tell for sure that it is in regen without a juice w/att. It tells you when it goes into regen. There may be others out there that tell you also, but I really doubt you can tell without something. I thought I knew when mine was in regen before I put on my juice, but I really didn't for sure.

I've seen the overhead show 75% or something...lasted about 10 seconds? I was pulling, did it wash it out quickly?