600hp single 12V Streetable?

Todd W

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Hello long time lurker here. I think this is my first post though. Any way like the title says I am looking keep the truck streetable but I bought the truck to make big power. before I hung around here I thought 600 was a lot. Any way I have done a fair amount to my truck as my signature indicates. I am now thinking of a turbo and some injectors. I would like around 600 I know the clutch I have isn't rated that high but I have heard they are under rated. As I won't be racing or pulling massive loads I feel I should be ok. I am thinking of either a silver bullet 64/14 or possibly the new htt 64/13. I would like a turbo that could be used as a top turbo in a future twins setup. I really don't know on the injectors, would a different fuel plate also be in order? And I would also be curious as to the optimum timing. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Thanks for the link good info there. It seems that a 66mm compresser is the only way to make 600, but I have heard they are not a good street turbo, true? Don't they have surge issues?

not the only way...Could always have a good set of twins, I'd check out Industrial Injection if I were you...that's prolly the route I'll be headed, I'll talk to a guy I know who just installed a Pro-Street 66/14 yesterday, should be over 500hp for sure..I'll see if there's surging problems...

Twins are definatly in the future, just not today. I want a turbo that will go good in the future set of twins. I am curious as to how your friends 66 does.

66 works good he said...doesnt surge...he's still tuning everything to get it just right, but no problems he said...reccommends as good single

don't run a 64, it'll surge worse than a 66

on a 12v, your definition of streetable will depend on wether or not you have a cam and or a ported head. you can do it with stock head/cam (I'm about to try) but it'll be softer down low.

I did 535rwhp with an sps62, DDP4's, factory 215 pump, and a ported head, 18* timing

Next combo I put together is going to be sps62, dragon fly injectors, factory 215 pump, stock head, and water/meth

I'm hoping the tighter patterned EDM's will allow me to run more timing, and I think they're rated about 20-30hp more than the DDP4's I was running before. BUT, I'm going to try it w/ 16-17* timing first and hope the methanol can help "add" timing while keeping things cool on the big end. I'll trade some peak power numbers for drivability down below 2000rpm

if the EGT's are still nuts, I'll bump the timing up to 20-21 and see how it does.

if all else fails? *nx*

Last edited:
Thanks for the all the replies. In my particular aplication I do have a cam, it is a pdr cam. I was looking at industrial injections website and the silver 62, 64, and 66 all have a 74mm turbine wheel, says it really helps with surge. Maybe a silver bullet would work great. I have a standard trans and I am told that surge isn't as bad on those as on an auto.

On a separate note, what amount of boost and timing would be good on this application. I do have the 155* pistons which should allow higher timing, I also have studs and a .020 marine gasket, but no orings. I am guessing it is good to 65psi, But my only reasoning for that is that my friends studded non-marine gasket truck seems to be doing just fine at 55psi.

I wouldn't take it to 65psi... keep it around 50, a 66mm w/ a cam will make some good power

get the silver 66

I have the Silver 66 with a 12 valve, 5sp. I may have no surge issues. Takes about 1900-2000 rpm to spool but then it goes quick. I don't know what my dyno numbers are but last night at the pulls I took first place in my class of 22 trucks.

Forrest Nearing said:
don't run a 64, it'll surge worse than a 66

Pretty sure that my 64 has never surged on me yet.... No complaints about it at all.

My phatshaft64 did have some surge, but my 66 with the 13cm exhast housing dosent but it can be lagged if you don't drive it right.

my 66 was close to a lag pig and surged so bad it would almost knock a cup out of the holder.

So the silver 66 seems like the turbo of choice. How is it when towing. I don't tow heavy by any means. I have a 4000lb. boat I tow to the lake and occasionally I pull a skidsteer. Like 10000lb.

Well crap. That is not really going to work for me. that puts me way to fast in 5th gear. I need something that will be able to tow down to 1800-1900 rpms. Maybe I should consider bd towing twins? But really I eventually want more then they can support so it seems stupid to buy them temporarily. Perhaps the 64 or 62 would be a better fit. Also does the turbine wheel affect towability much, would the 71 be superior to the 74 for a street application?

On a side note, say I decide to just go for broke and do a twins setup, How much power can one make in a 12 valve and still maintain the ability to tow a moderate amount?

gs1000 said:
Well crap. That is not really going to work for me. that puts me way to fast in 5th gear. I need something that will be able to tow down to 1800-1900 rpms. Maybe I should consider bd towing twins? But really I eventually want more then they can support so it seems stupid to buy them temporarily. Perhaps the 64 or 62 would be a better fit. Also does the turbine wheel affect towability much, would the 71 be superior to the 74 for a street application?

On a side note, say I decide to just go for broke and do a twins setup, How much power can one make in a 12 valve and still maintain the ability to tow a moderate amount?

After trying to build a high power 12v and still tow between 25 and 40K gross, I said forget it and bought another truck to play with! Even with Twins at 400hp, it would get the EGT's way too hot when towing. Not too mention the cooling system could barely manage!

It's all in the driving style too...some guys do it and like it...other's get tired of driving with one eye on the pyro and a egg under the pedal!

Chris

i towed with my 66 and egts were difficult. since i added the set of twins my egts have dropped 300 degrees. with spool up and the increased driveability of this set i am sure that i could tow (at least the amount that i do) pretty easy. 25k-40k would be damn tough. i only tow about 10-12k every so often. most of it is matching your fuel delivery with the amount of air. you dont want more of either, but a balance between the 2. b4 the twins, if my truck even saw a trailer (even my bass boat) my egts would rise with the sps 66.