64.5 vs 66 SXE spool difference?

I went from a 62/65/12 on the old build to a 66/71/13 on the new one. Spools and drives about the same. More top end now. Not really apples to apples, but it does show that you don't have run a small secondary for decent drivability.

Super b special. 64/71/14

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea see that's about what I want for a secondary. But everyone was sayin how these new 64.5/74 spool the same or better than a special, so i figured it would be a good choice. But now most are sayin it's too big.

So now my question is would an old style 64/71/14 be better than a 64.5/74/.80, or vise versa?

I went from a 62/65/12 on the old build to a 66/71/13 on the new one. Spools and drives about the same. More top end now. Not really apples to apples, but it does show that you don't have run a small secondary for decent drivability.

Good to hear! I've always read through your threads and really value your information. I have based a lot of my truck kinda by what I've seen on your truck.

Yea see that's about what I want for a secondary. But everyone was sayin how these new 64.5/74 spool the same or better than a special, so i figured it would be a good choice. But now most are sayin it's too big.

So now my question is would an old style 64/71/14 be better than a 64.5/74/.80, or vise versa?

My setup spools pretty dang good I think. I can lug it clear down to 1300 and still ease into it and accelerate back up to 60 no problem. 6250 lb QCSB truck with 3.55s and 32" tires. Full boost(80ish) by 23-2400 rpm when roll into it in OD.

I'm not a pro but I'd say you won't notice much difference between the 2 mentioned above.

My buddy will be running a 66/73/14 over an 80 and I expect it drives just fine for the power level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had to re-load all the software on the dyno so I lost the old HE351cw/S480 graphs, but as memory serves me, peak power was made at 2150 to 2300 rpm depending on the load selected for the run. More load = earlier peak power numbers.

Here's a slightly detuned fuel-wise run with the S363/S480 compounds pushing 78 psi on the dyno 32 psi from the S480. The S363/68 has an internally gated .70 AR T3 housing and we have full control of the gate on the dyno for quick/live tuning changes. 300k mile stockish 12 valve with 5x012" injectors, stock cam, mildly ported head, upgraded valve train, 26* timing. This graph is very typical compared to what we've seen/tested on fuel-limited trucks.

526_zpsotkipfbw.jpg

For comparison, here's the Junker Drag Truck on a max effort fuel-wise run with the He351cw/HT4B(83mm) compounds still using the ported HE351 internal gate but I did stuff a 64mm HX40 turbine wheel into the tight HE351 exhaust housing. It should be noted that the Junker has a nice maxed 215 injection pump running about 28* timing on these runs, bigger 5x018" injectors, 188/220 cam, and Hamilton Head so its power drop on the top end is more turbocharger related than head flow/cam related. This graph is very typical compared to what we've seen/tested on air-limited trucks.

922_zpssxa3vtdt.jpg

Here's a short run, super high load which makes nice power numbers on some trucks but they do heat soak the charge air cooler/max out the pyro quickly when loaded hard!!!

947_zpsw3uxwqem.jpg

Last edited:

Still a t3 secondary I take? I'm thinking of going to a similar size, my lil 63/68 can't really take the 190lbs/min of primary air... Shooting for 1000 on fuel this summer, but was maybe gonna stay t3 to help on the street. still have an egate so should be ok.

I run a single sxe 64.5 /73/14 it is a little doggy down low 0-7 psi but once it's at 10 psi snap your finger and your at what ever boost # you want. I would love this turbo if I could tune the smoke out down low but that's kinda hard to do when you have a tight converter. That's why I'm looking into twins

So a phat shaft 62/65 or 62/71 ( how ever they wanted to size the wheel that day) wouldn't make a good secondary with a 475?

The 62/65 is probably one of the most common turbos paired with the 475. The 62/71 will have better drive pressure but will be slightly slower to spool.

96 3500 5x018 7mm dvs 62fmw

Just built a sxe66 over a 482 on a p/pumped 24v. Used a bd t4 manifold with their new divided cast hot pipe. Almost instant spool and very little lag if any at all. Very impressed and im a cr guy.

Would need to know the hot side specs and converter setup to make a comparison. And a 24v head has better low end response than a 12v due to the port/valve size.

Just built a sxe66 over a 482 on a p/pumped 24v. Used a bd t4 manifold with their new divided cast hot pipe. Almost instant spool and very little lag if any at all. Very impressed and im a cr guy.

Higher stall converter?
I feel like that makes up for it a lot, but also brings pretty hot trans temps around town and towing without being locked up.

How much of the quick spool up is attributed to the divided hotpipe (if any)?