66/71 daily driver?

DieselTransform

I bought a 66/71/14 :ft: with plans to put it on my fummins. My mods are as follows,
Helix stage 2 cam, DDP4's, and i'm waiting on my pump to get back from the pump shop. Supposed to be set up to 500ccs. Also i'm running a built 47rh. Just sent the head out to have o ringed. Do you guys think i've got enough fuel to run this on a dd? Any ideas where it would spool rpm wise?
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Yup. It'll run just fine. I ran a similar setup (24v instead of 12v though) and it was a great turbo to DD. There was no difference in spool between the VP pump and ppump.

Iirc around 1600-1700. I've got a tight converter with 3.54 gears and 35" tires so stuff spools a hair slower.

Right on. Anyone runnin a 12v p pump with a 66 on a daily driver? I heard the 24v is a little better with bigger single turbos cause they flow better.

Just do it. You'll thank us later. Port the exhaust manifold out while the turbo is off. Will help even more.

Right on. Anyone runnin a 12v p pump with a 66 on a daily driver? I heard the 24v is a little better with bigger single turbos cause they flow better.

I ran a 62/71 on both a p-pumped 24v and a 12v, and there really wasn't that much difference. I liked the 64/71 better than the 62, even for daily driving. 66/71 with a cam should be a good setup.

I've got similar mods and daily drove a 66/71/14 for a few months. Spool up wasn't terrible, but it was easy to drown it out below 2000 rpm while the converter was locked up...I think I had my timing up at 30* while I had it on. The only thing I didn't like was how fast it would bury the pyrometer and it would stay buried. With my Super B Special(64/71/14) it will get hot, but the temp will peak and then gradually drop.

Your altitude, timing, converter stall, gear ratio, and tire height are all going to play a role in how streetable it will be for you.

Well i guess we'll see how it works out. I'm runnin a 3.73 with a 265/70/17. The elevation is 4150'. Maybe i went too big? Pump timing is set at 16.5. I was figurin with all the fuel, i was going to need a pretty decent amount of air. BrettWINspeed, how hot was it getting with the 66? Were you runnin a different cam?

Last edited:
Even though your at that high of elevation, it should spool better than mine since you run lower timing, shorter tires, and a lower gear ratio. I'm at sea level, but my high timing, 3.54's and 33" tires were hurting spool, especially around town.

I daily drove my 66/71 fun turbo! Mine was a manual tho it would lite around 1600 rpm with a stock cam and head.

I daily drove almost same set up, ddp4s, silver bullet, stock cam at the time and loved it. Went to a 71 shortly after that.

Used to daily drive a 468 single with a .90 t4 74/83 hot side and it was ok with a stock head and stock cam. Manual shifting of the truck made it tons more fun!

Get a cam in it and you'll love it even more. Makes such a big difference in spooling anything bigger than a 62 IMO... with my set up mine lights at around 1500-1700 and thats with 22* of timing and 5x12s... wouldnt have it any other way, almost like to see what it would do with a 66 or even a 71 with the 5x.016s I've got in the door..

Well, i have a helix stage 2 cam. So hopefully it will help it light. Im anxious to get it on and see what it will do.