8.3L C-series twins

GreenGo80

Maybe the wrong section but figured id try. Going to be swapping a 8.3 in my 86 dodge and want to run twins. Thinking of starting with a hx50 or hx52 for the top charger and not sure on the bottom. I have a couple large frame diesel turbos to choose from. Gt42 from a detroit s60, s410g off a 3406 cat and an ht3b. All are around 74-76mm inducers on the comp wheel id guess. Hp goals are 450-550 or so. Will be hooked to a manual trans and will be used for towing. Thoughts, opinions? Any help is appreciated. Just tryin to pick some brains. Thanks, Nick

Last edited:
I would think something that size of displacement. A s467.7 as a single will get you above and beyond your goal.

Why don't you just run the stock Hx40 that comes on the 8.3l over the 3B. They are capable of up to 700hp.

That had crossed my mind but the stock charger was crusty and unusable. So since im looking for a new charger anyway...why not upgrade at the same time? Or should I just look for another hx40?

If you push that 8.3 hard, you'll be looking for a 5.9 soon enough.

Might as well get ahead of the curve and find a 5.9 right now....

Its not going to be a pulling truck. Just a trailer hauler. Or is that pushin it to hard?

The 8.3 will shuck all the parts from the clutch to the rear out.

Dane

Bigblue24 why do you say the 8.3 won't hold up ? What are the weak links ? I have a 12v 8.3 I am going to play with in a pulling tractor and have also been considering twins.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

Only main issue ive heard has been cracked liners when pushed hard. And supposedly power bore liners will cure the problem?

400 would be tops in my opinion. The torque that engine will make at 650 HP will tear that pickup apart. Better to find a smaller engine

Alright i appreciate the opinons but iam not asking if i should use the 8.3 or a 5.9 Ive made my decision.and am asking for opinions on a twin setup for the 8.3. Thanks

Ok I'll acknolage the elephant in the room... have you done any measuring? the 8.3 is quite bigger than a b series unless your doing a body lift and or cutting the firewall and floor out (like I did) it won't fit

Yes done plenty of measuring. I have a 3 inch body lift and 4 inch suspension. Ill have to cut the firewall and the trans tunnel. Im not afraid of whats required to get it to fit.

I've setup two 8.3 cummins engines with s466 83 1.0/s475 96 1.32 compounds that work great.
If you are going through the engine, I would advise that you talk to someone like Genes machine shop that can get you a set of good steel sleeves and maybe go ahead and have the rods hardened/stress relieved and upgraded rod bolts.

i am glad to see this thread as a lot of older motorhomes have the 8.3 and I hope to get one someday and of course it would need twins. I have seen a lot of posts about this engine destroying the pickup but what about the engine? what needs to be done to survive 500hp? I see that a guy can get studs for this engine here
untitled1

In my case I may not need all the HP I just want to cruise the speed limit up the hills and have some passing ability when needed. anyway hopefully the link will be helpfull to you.