8.3L Cummins Transplant

Low coolant sensor.
Is that little fitting broke lose from the tank, I see a crack where it goes into the tank.

Low coolant sensor.
Is that little fitting broke lose from the tank, I see a crack where it goes into the tank.

I'll have to check. No telling.

Right now I'm fighting the power steering. All it does is blow fluid out the hole in the cap all over the place.

And all was well....until the compressor seized up....because I didn't know there was supposed to be an oil feed line to it.....effin' dumbass. Jesus. :bang

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wwy-t65vlA"]8.3L Cummins Transplant Test Drive - YouTube[/ame]

It should have been mentioned by one of us, so I will shoulder some blame here. It would have been impossible for you to know this when the engine did not have a compressor to begin with.

Last edited:
I know you tore it apart, is there any chance of saving it?

It should have been mentioned by one of us, so I will shoulder some blame here. It would have been impossible for you to know this when the engine did not have a compressor to begin with.

Well...it's the price I pay for doing it myself. "Learning curve" I should have known there was an oil feed just like the IP. There is a port in the oil galley right behind it. I put a gauge on it to make sure it was pressured.

I'm assuming this is where the feed line needs to go....where the gauge is?

attachment.php

She'd locked tighter than Dick's hatband.

attachment.php

I just put the block-off plate back on it so I can charge the tank with the air compressor in the shop and at least start it and move it around. I also filled the block with water and ran it a while. When the thermostat comes in Monday, I can drain the water and refill with antifreeze and water. Kind of a flush. Lost of rust inside the block. It hasn't had coolant in it for over 5 years.

Attachments

• IMG_8509.jpg
    IMG_8509.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8508.jpg
    IMG_8508.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 0
I know you tore it apart, is there any chance of saving it?

I tried to hit the piston on top with a block of wood and a 2.5# shop hammer and free it up. It will NOT budge. Another rebuilt one is $253. Looks like I'll have to eat it.

I couldn't get the nut off the gear to even pull the housing apart. Don't know if it is left or right thread. 1/2 impact wouldn't budge it. I have a 36" breaker bar but I have nothing to hold the housing with to even get some torque on it. I gave up.

And that oil line in your picture looks like it goes back to where the IP oil line feeds from. Should I tee it there or use a separate port in the block for each? Leave the IP where it is and feed this one from the one I have the gauge in?

Last edited:
I think they are teed normally, but whatever works to get oil should be fine.

Been there, it happens.

Chris

The lower compressor mounting bolt hole is also stripped out....so this does give me the chance to re-tap it and get that corrected so I don't have an oil seep later under the mounting hole. I knew it didn't tighten up right the last time and figured I'd fix it later. Well...it's later. LOL

I think they are teed normally, but whatever works to get oil should be fine.

Been there, it happens.

Chris

Good to see you checking in, Chris! Ain't talked to you in a while. Hope all is well.

I guess I'll have NAPA make me an oil line.

I've been busy, so I check in once or twice a day to see if anyone is on I want to talk to LOL

Chris

Ask we'll give you **** and save you money. :hehe:

How mine is routed.. 90° -4 to 1/8npt with -4 HYD hose ~19" long

Attachments

• IMG_20190802_123105407.jpg
    IMG_20190802_123105407.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 0
Upon further review.. these where sent to you via FB messenger LOL

Attachments

• IMG_20190717_193822552.jpg
    IMG_20190717_193822552.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20190717_193755685.jpg
    IMG_20190717_193755685.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 0
And all was well....until the compressor seized up....because I didn't know there was supposed to be an oil feed line to it.....effin' dumbass. Jesus. :bang

Dang it, Bobby. Is that you in the light colored hat?

Hee Haw - "Gloom, Despair, and Agony"

Jeff's right, one of us should have mentioned it. I guess we just take things for granted such as the compressor plumbing still being there.

Sorry, brother.

Last edited:
Upon further review.. these where sent to you via FB messenger LOL

Ya. I cleaned out my inbox last week and went back for your pics and they is gone. :D Looked at them....but I was looking at the unloader, not at the compressor.

Jeff's right, one of us should have mentioned it. I guess we just take things for granted such as the compressor plumbing still being there.

Ah, hell. It's the price I pay for doing something new. The knowledge I've gained is worth it I guess. I just ordered an M12x1.75 helicoil kit to repair the damaged lower bolt thread into the back of the timing housing. That needed fixed so now I can do it. New compressor cost me $220 plus whatever the shipping will be on the ride back for this frozen core with 13.7 minutes of operation on it from the initial rebuild. :badidea:

In other news, Scott, they will be bringing me the fourth school bus this next week. No 7. got solenoid repair, rear door switch repair, etc. No. 4 got a hood hinge rebuild with the welder and a red light fixed. No. 14 had a window switch bad (by the way, the newer emergency window switches that are up top freaking suck compared the old style on the bottom in my opinion) and a connector came loose on the back of the light monitor panel on the bulkhead. No idea what is coming but I've become the local bus depot repair facility. :hehe: Love helping the school. Learning a lot about them too.

I haven't really looked at the compressor setup on my 8.3 but does it's oil drain back thru the front into the gear case or does it have a external drain like the one on my 5.9?

I just noticed this:

attachment.php

My 2nd vehicle was a '64 Fairlane station wagon. 260 V8, 3-on-the-tree. I loved that car. It was very much like this one. It started life as a TVA car, my uncle worked for TVA at the Hartsville Nuclear Plant and bought it somehow. This was in '78, so it was 14 years old. I put bucket seats in it, built a wooden console with some 6x9's in it, tucked the widest tires I could up in the rear wheel wells, and dualed it out with a couple of Cherry Bombs. I tried to put a Hurst floor shifter in it but just couldn't make it work. I've leaned toward station wagons ever since.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Dekalb.jpg
    Dekalb.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190316_185029.jpg
    20190316_185029.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 0
One of those cars is held to a cliff by trees in Stearns, KY. It was in a junk yard that closed years ago, and the just pushed the cars into the trees and let them fall to clear the land.
I have a thing for wagons also.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I haven't really looked at the compressor setup on my 8.3 but does it's oil drain back thru the front into the gear case or does it have a external drain like the one on my 5.9?

all 3 8.3 I have drain via front gear case cover including the MD 5.9 I have