80 over puller engine

5.9cummins06

Planning a puller engine....A buddy of mine is trying to convince me to buy the CR short block that he built for racing. The engine was never fully assembled Bored 0.080 over, Aries Fly-cut pistons, it has been cemented already. I have always believed that the more meat the better, wasn't planning on anymore than 0.020 over if any....any thoughts?

I think you will be fine if the block is filled, I've seen them up to .100" over

The problem with 80 over is there's less material holding the deck to the block.

The problem with 80 over is there's less material holding the deck to the block.

Exactly. Even if the block is filled I doesn't add much strength when in comes to holding the top and bottom of the block together.

from phone

Does sleeving help tie the block top and bottom together though? I'd me more inclined to find a virgin block.

Does sleeving help tie the block top and bottom together though? I'd me more inclined to find a virgin block.

Not nearly as much a stock bore thickness. It's not worth the risk for a little displacement gain on a forced induction motor.
People say "no replacement for displacement" but there is..... A Turbo

from phone

Not nearly as much a stock bore thickness. It's not worth the risk for a little displacement gain on a forced induction motor.
People say "no replacement for displacement" but there is..... A Turbo

from phone

So be leery of a sleeved engine? I've heard that there is potential for sleeves to drop in high RPM applications....

I've heard really good results from a sleeved 6.7 to a 5.9. Not heard any results of a 5.9 .080 over sleeved to a stock 5.9. Try it and let us know.

If the price is right buy it and run it. If it's to high start from scratch.

The bad part is the engine was never assembled and tuned and has no proof that it will last. Basically you have to ask yourself is the pricetag you have been given worth gambling? Honnestly I think it would be cool be thats me spending your dollars LOL. Up to you bud.

When you sleeve a bore you bore it out to 4.26+ then install a sleeve. If its sleeved what are you worried about.