a dmax and 6k rpm...NO?

gainer16

here it is...6k rpm out of a dmax! and it coulda went higher!

Attachments

• rpms.jpg
    rpms.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 458
Eh that free revving there Matt
poke.gif

Hell I could get 5650 out of my 7.3 PSD free reving it. Doesn't mean it had enough fuel to do anything there. :stab:

Looks like a neutral Rev as the TPS was only at 53.3%. That's been done long ago but now that RPM under power would be much nicer.

My little Citroen rental car went past 5500 rpm (while I was at full throttle in 3rd gear no less) before I lifted as there was no sign of a rev limiter, and I didn't feel like buying an engine in a rental car if there turned out not to be one.

The only thing I noticed was that the digital bars on the dash started turning from green to red as I passed 5000rpm.

This was a Stock diesel rental car in Europe...

Yes, our diesels are sad.

My little Citroen rental car went past 5500 rpm (while I was at full throttle in 3rd gear no less) before I lifted as there was no sign of a rev limiter, and I didn't feel like buying an engine in a rental car if there turned out not to be one.

LOL

Many years ago I was traveling in Ireland with this insane Scottish salesguy in a rental car. He says to me in this real thick accent "ever 'erd a rev limit'r on a toyo'a?" and I said "no." He mashes the thing to the floor in 3rd gear and that little bastard would just hammer off ~7k going down the road all jerky and bucking like hell. I about pissed my pants laughing so hard.

Did it several times during the rest of the trip when we needed comic relief. It was great. Sucker never missed a lick.

I dont know why everyone is so worried about 6k RPM in a 2.6 truck. Id bet 4500rpm is all anyone needs in 2.6 anyways. Whats the point in revving it way past where it is making its power?

That was a free rev anyways. Lets see video of that thing turning 6k even just driving down the road.

Eric

I dont know why everyone is so worried about 6k RPM in a 2.6 truck. Id bet 4500rpm is all anyone needs in 2.6 anyways. Whats the point in revving it way past where it is making its power?

That was a free rev anyways. Lets see video of that thing turning 6k even just driving down the road.

Eric

I think the point is to make the power up there.

I still dont see a good reason to be worried about making power at 6k rpm in a 2.6 truck. Maybe a 3.0 truck.

Eric

most guys change to lower gears to get the mechanical advantage, the downside is you lose speed which can be made up by increasing rpm. if you have a guy with 4:10 gears turning 4k and a guy with 5:13 gears turning 6k and both top out at the same speed who is going to have the advantage.

I'm sure theres a formula for this i just don't know what it is. no matter what gears you have rpm wil help

most guys change to lower gears to get the mechanical advantage, the downside is you lose speed which can be made up by increasing rpm. if you have a guy with 4:10 gears turning 4k and a guy with 5:13 gears turning 6k and both top out at the same speed who is going to have the advantage.

I'm sure theres a formula for this i just don't know what it is. no matter what gears you have rpm wil help

What you just described is the advantage to Power....

Work per time. Any given torque produced at a higher rpm will get more sh*t done.

Thats a terrible example, if you're making more power with the same wheel speed at lower RPM then Ill take the lower RPM.

Thats a terrible example, if you're making more power with the same wheel speed at lower RPM then Ill take the lower RPM.

To make the same power at the lower rpm the torque will have to be higher. For torque to be higher generally the BMEP has to be higher. For that to be higher generally the cylinder pressure peak will be higher.

That leads to more stress on your headstuds, rods, block, pin bushings, input shaft, trans so on and so forth.

For the exact same power output. Doesn't sound all that grand to me.