A few Nitrous Questions . . .

BilletGarage

Diesel Addict
I'm getting ready to install nitrous on my truck and had a few questions.

1) I only plan to run a single stage 100 shot as I am certain that is about all the fuel I have left to clean up. Should I bother running a progressive controller or just hit the full 100 off the line? My thought was that a progressive controller might help my tranny live a bit longer since it is stock right now. Your thoughts? Experience?

2) I noticed all the Nitrous fogger nozzles out there are 1/16" NPT threads and all intake elbows (including mine) have an 1/8" NPT bung in the side. What gives here? Am I missing something?

3) What jet size is equal to a 50, 75, 100, and 125 shot of Nitrous?

Thanks in advance for the responses!

1. progressive controllers help on the shock load to the engine and drivetrain, and also to work around any traction issues.
2. all the foggers i have used are 1/8" mpt. with 3an jet sizes. double check your foggers.

jet size hp
26 35
32 50
40 75
46 100
54 125
72 150
88 175
105 200

SINNER said:
2. all the foggers i have used are 1/8" mpt. with 3an jet sizes. double check your foggers.

I thought so too but every nozzle I look up says 1/16" NPT? 1/16th is pretty dang small . . .

Thanks for your jet info, very helpful! Merry Christmas!

I'm going to be running a two stage....I think you should be fine unless a single stage causes your truck to "hop" as in "BIGRPOWER"...oh btw it was nice meeting you at Irwindale a little while back. That's a pretty well tuned Ferd ya got there...what were your 60ft times?

Those jet sizes aren't gonna equate to a diesel like they will a gasser.
There is no definitive answer for you. You can only spray nitrous if you have extra fuel to burn...and you'll have to test jets on your own truck to find that number.
If you put too big of a jet in you will actually slow a diesel down.
I'd start with something in the mid .040's size and work up. The max I've seen anyone be able to run on a stock injectored 6.0 is a .072 jet with a nitrous file from whoever does your tunes.

UNBROKEN said:
There is no definitive answer for you. You can only spray nitrous if you have extra fuel to burn...and you'll have to test jets on your own truck to find that number.
I'd start with something in the mid .040's size and work up. The max I've seen anyone be able to run on a stock injectored 6.0 is a .072 jet with a nitrous file from whoever does your tunes.

Good deal Rich, THANKS! I will do that. I was just curious what jets I should order up to have a nice selection. What do you think about a progressive controller?

JQmile said:
I'm going to be running a two stage....I think you should be fine unless a single stage causes your truck to "hop" as in "BIGRPOWER"...oh btw it was nice meeting you at Irwindale a little while back. That's a pretty well tuned Ferd ya got there...what were your 60ft times?

Nice meeting you too! . . . The purpose of the progressive controller for me would be simply to save my trans on the line. I don't think I would have a traction issue even with a full .072 Jet (as Rich suggested) hit off the line. My only concern is that the stock trans will not be able to handle it.

Yeah, Mike's launches can be violent. Not ready to play in that arena yet. ;)

My best 60' time to date is a 1.82 and that was on my best 8.87@75mph run. That Thursday a few weeks back I ran by second best time of 8.89@75mph with a 1.82 60' with my CAT on (ironically). That was my first run since having head studs installed so who knows. I have a Nitrous/Race Tune file I'm dying to try out from Eric at Innovative Diesel. Hoping to get into the low 8's.

Last edited:
UNBROKEN said:
Those jet sizes are from zex for diesel kits not gas. the lower end of the range is real close for stock sticks. And I found about 100-120 hp is about max shot with stock sticks so its right in line with the chart.

Oh I see now i should have put a .0 in front of the jet sizes. Sorry

SINNER said:
1. progressive controllers help on the shock load to the engine and drivetrain, and also to work around any traction issues.

jet size hp
26 35
32 50
40 75
46 100
54 125
72 150
88 175
105 200
With that list I should have been over 1200hp on spray... I didn't clean up the smoke fully and dyno'd at 620hp, so there's something amiss?

joefarmer said:
With that list I should have been over 1200hp on spray... I didn't clean up the smoke fully and dyno'd at 620hp, so there's something amiss?
Lack of air? LOL I saw a 04 cr with a ppe, a lift pump and .085 jet do 550+
620 with a couple shots and big jets seems low, but I am going by a few 6.0's and 1 cr and comparing time changes based on jet changes. So I'm sure I am comparing apples to oranges. My 6.0 sounded like it had a handfull of bolts in it when I pulled it so that shows what i know.
:redx:

I ran a .072 jet in mine without a progressive controller running either Doug or DJ's tunes, and never had a tranny issue. Gene is having nothing but trouble with his Progressive controller from NX on Stroked lightning, (thats what has caused his times to get worse of Late), and is about to go back to a WOT switch.

I've ran a way bigger jet than a .072 with stock injectors and never have had a problem..Just use a cord with a push button you can't go wrong with it..

Last edited:
How can put a "wet kit" on a diesel engine...I didn't think that it would work??? But now that you mention this I've got and "IDEA"

Dreambreaker said:
How can put a "wet kit" on a diesel engine...I didn't think that it would work??? But now that you mention this I've got and "IDEA"

You can run a WET kit on a diesel.
DJ runs a wet kit and I'm sure there are a few others on here also.

I have a dry kit and that's what most people use especially if they have larger injectors.

Dreambreaker said:
It's simple we have one of our trucks running it...Dj sells a kit ready to put on...

whats funny is..the author of this thread..when we were talking about wet diesel kits..anyone remember that..I know you do..BILLET LOL!!

memories..

Abrannan19 said:
whats funny is..the author of this thread..when we were talking about wet diesel kits..anyone remember that..I know you do..BILLET LOL!!

memories..

Thanks for bringing up old memories again . . . :bang LOL LOL How could I forget the first time we met? :doh: