A few Nitrous Questions . . .

Dalpilot said:
I ran a .072 jet in mine without a progressive controller running either Doug or DJ's tunes, and never had a tranny issue. Gene is having nothing but trouble with his Progressive controller from NX on Stroked lightning, (thats what has caused his times to get worse of Late), and is about to go back to a WOT switch.

Thats good information, thanks! With a built trans I wouldn't hesitate to just hit the full (100hp or so) shot off the line but the stock trans makes me nervous. No problems right now and I want to keep it that way through this next season. Maybe I will just start on the smaller jets and work my way up to be safe. Not planning to run nitrous during competition anyway. Just to see what kind of times I can post in qualifying.

Yeah, I think Gene's problem is that the NX controller and the 6.0's TPS don't like each other. BigrPowr runs the same controller (7.3) with no issue I know of. I've heard the 6.0's TPS voltage is abnormal for some reason (if anyone knows the specifics, please enlighten me). Guess I'll find out soon. Going to use a TPS switch for activation but not an NX Controller.

SINNER said:
Lack of air? LOL I saw a 04 cr with a ppe, a lift pump and .085 jet do 550+
620 with a couple shots and big jets seems low, but I am going by a few 6.0's and 1 cr and comparing time changes based on jet changes. So I'm sure I am comparing apples to oranges. My 6.0 sounded like it had a handfull of bolts in it when I pulled it so that shows what i know.
:redx:
:hehe: Probably! Or it could have been that the nitrous system had a mind of it's own and didn't want to listen.

BilletGarage- start small, perhaps a .027 or .030 jet and see how it reacts.

I guess i can share some secrets with ya, Well first off a bigger jet than .072 is very possible. We had an 05 than ran with a .088 jet and I'm not saying whats in mine, but all of our trucks have stock turbo and injectors. As far as the stock Trans well to each there own, knock on wood i have made mid 12's time after time and I'm still gettin gears. Now for the Progressive Controller well yall ought to try other brands than NX some times. I prefer the NOS mini controller.

WAO Racing said:
I guess i can share some secrets with ya, Well first off a bigger jet than .072 is very possible. We had an 05 than ran with a .088 jet and I'm not saying whats in mine, but all of our trucks have stock turbo and injectors. As far as the stock Trans well to each there own, knock on wood i have made mid 12's time after time and I'm still gettin gears. Now for the Progressive Controller well yall ought to try other brands than NX some times. I prefer the NOS mini controller.

:bang :rolleyes: Fuel System? Wet Kit? Both? :poke: If power takes fuel and oxygen and your running a stock turbo then you have fuel mods (but no injectors)??? Nice to hear that the stock trans is living into the 12's though . . . Very nice!

Last edited:
see..thats the thing..everyone that runs fast #'s like to keep it all secretive..they want to be the fastest 6.0

its sucks..but thats how it seems to work.

Abrannan19 said:
see..thats the thing..everyone that runs fast #'s like to keep it all secretive..they want to be the fastest 6.0

its sucks..but thats how it seems to work.

Yep, I know what you mean but, oh well. Just makes me think more outside the box when doing my own mods. The rough part is, without being able to see the injectors and now with all the modded VGT's out there, it's possible to have a very stock looking/sounding truck that runs like a bat out of Hell. All the while the owners will say "It's stock". :banghead:

BilletGarage said:
Yep, I know what you mean but, oh well. Just makes me think more outside the box when doing my own mods. The rough part is, without being able to see the injectors and now with all the modded VGT's out there, it's possible to have a very stock looking/sounding truck that runs like a bat out of Hell. All the while the owners will say "It's stock". :banghead:
yep

Ask whatever question you want...I'll give you the answer any day of the week. I never kept any secrets and have no reason to now.

If you want to find the optimum jet size for your truck you need to start small and work up...while testing at the track. It'll take a lot of passes to get it dialed in...but it's really the only way to do it since every truck is a bit different.
Launch consistency is the key...everythign after that is just keeping it off the wall.
Anyway...start small and increase your jets untill you see the MPH fall off from it's high point...then back down 1 jet size. That will be the best for YOUR truck.

You can run any size jet you want really...but getting into the .80's and .90's
is probably hurting a STOCK stock a little bit.

Once you pass the optimum jet size and spray too much ntrous, it cools down the cylinders and actually puts out the cylinders...which obviously is detrimental. Spray enough and you can actually stop the motor from running.

I'm sure there are a few factory freaks out there that can get away with bigger jets...but for 99.9% of STOCK trucks..they're gonna max out right around a .072 jet.

Something else....if your nozzle is mounted pre-intercooler like some like to do...you can run a larger jet than if the nozzle is mounted on the elbow.

WOuld you mount it on the IC pipe? Wouldn't this delay the nos from getting into the motor?

Pre-intercooler, the delay is minimal...but you can use a larger jet.
The extra nitrous for the larger jet will cool the intake charge more but effectively less usable nitrous will hit the intake because of the way it breaks down in the heat.

You'll feel a harder "hit" from an elbow mounted nozzle...seeing as there's really no delay there.

i split my NOS..big shot into the intercooler and smaller shot into the intake elbow..gotta get my bottle refilled and do some more testing..but on other trucks that I know of..it made more HP that way..

Rich..I was not including you in my statement above..you have always told EVERYTHING about your truck and whats on it and all...you are exempt..the people who I am talking about know who they are.

I plan to share everything on the ranger 6.0 when it lays down some numbers. Pictures, how too's and all. Matter of fact the guy that is building it, has 2 more 6.0's and a Dmax sitting in his shop already. Word gets out fast. LOL

Before this gets out of hand, remember, its ok not to tell what you have too, and its ok to have secret squirrel stuff too. Try poppin the hood on a few of the pullin trucks in the country, and you'll get shot.

yep..I will quit..

I just like truth..

maybe someone can explain this to me..

when does a truck become NOT STOCK anymore?

For me about 3 minutes after I get it off the lot.

SOme define stock as having a stock bottom end.

You alter it, its not stock..........period.

UNBROKEN said:
Pre-intercooler, the delay is minimal...but you can use a larger jet.
The extra nitrous for the larger jet will cool the intake charge more but effectively less usable nitrous will hit the intake because of the way it breaks down in the heat.

You'll feel a harder "hit" from an elbow mounted nozzle...seeing as there's really no delay there.

I like this idea. You could hide all your hoses and solenoids under the truck. With a remote bottle opener.... dreaming.

P.S Adam and Frankie need to hug.

Mooring Product said:
I like this idea. You could hide all your hoses and solenoids under the truck. With a remote bottle opener.... dreaming.

P.S Adam and Frankie need to hug.
Shhhhhhhhhh!!! you've just given away the secret of 89% of the pulling population around here... LOL

So sorry....I'm sure its hard to hide NOS from a fellow diesel owner. When the smoke goes away and it lights up, its a give away. The gassers may not know any better.