A2W vs. No cooler

CREED1

Throwed Off
We have been tossing around the idea of a A2W for my new prostreet truck for next year vs the idea of no post turbo cooling before going to the engine. My fabricator has A TON of knowledge with turbocharging and A2A and A2W coolers in the gas world but limited experience with diesels. I had mentioned the possibility of not running any kind of cooler and he was shocked. I know some go this route and others choose to go with A2W and some still with A2A. I am definitely not for A2A as a 4" Hogan omg isn't exactly the best thing to hang off the front of a drag truck lol. In talking about A2W coolers I knew that they would need to be capable of at least 120psi he talked with his supplier he regularly uses and they came up with a 2500hp 180psi rated core that has a LARGE price tag. I then found a frozen boost core type 22 for ALOT cheaper with water tank etc. So my question what are some of your opinions, how much reduction in temps could I see, im expecting that the a2w full would be around 100lbs planned to mount it in the cab (which im not a huge fan of aluminum shrapnel) or run piping thru the cab back to the bed for a safer option.

I talked to Keating a long time ago about this, cause he started with an air to water, then took it out. Between the tank, lines, piping, and everything else I think he said he took almost 200lb out of it, and just went to straight water injection. Ran about the same exact times, so he said it was clear it made more power with the a/w, but he said running water injection only was a lot easier as far as maintenance went.

I'd also keep in mind the weight of an intercooler blanket if you put the intercooler inside the cab, with a blanket, I'd feel pretty safe. I definitely would run with either water or an i/c though, running say, just nitrous and boost is usually hard on turbine wheels. Intercooler is also a good parts catcher if your turbo explodes. Lots of stuff to think about ;)

A/W is a pain in the ass unless your making one hook or a couple dyno pulls. You need at least 20lbs of ice per pass, 30-40 would be better 60-80 lbs you would actually have cold water at the end of a pass any less and it's circulating warm-hot water.

Knowing that your going to lean on the chargers and build a lot of boost I'd be scared of shrapnel ruining the engine if a charger blew with no intercooler.

We are already running water injection that was going to stay either way we went. The shrapnel to the engine without any kind of cooler to run interferance is a worry though for sure. Leaning towards no cooler at the moment.

You could still do air to air also....I know a buddy who got a huge custom one built for his drag truck (4-core, 2000+hp), and it was cheaper than one might think....somewhere around $1500 I think.

Currently running a 4" core hogan omg cooler its the only aftermarker a2a that we haven't blown the tanks apart on. It will work in the new truck but thats alot of nose weight we are trying to loose with the new truck. That cooler is nearly 70lbs. Currently running 6 injection nozzles .018 orifice

I'm in the same boat at the moment. As of now, I am leaning heavily toward a very small A/W intercooler in the engine compartment and a standard sized A/W aftercooler, mounted under the "Dash" or maybe right behind the cab. With a large ice tank next to the fuel tank in the very back of the bed. Building a relatively small A/W cooler to hold 100+ psi will be much easier than a giant A/A cooler. My thoughts are to put the weight where you want it, open the underhood area for airflow and ease of maintenance.

Last edited:
Currently running a 4" core hogan omg cooler its the only aftermarker a2a that we haven't blown the tanks apart on. It will work in the new truck but thats alot of nose weight we are trying to loose with the new truck. That cooler is nearly 70lbs. Currently running 6 injection nozzles .018 orifice

70lbs! Wow, I didn't know they were that heavy. I'm unsure what my chiseled weight is. I can't imagine it's that heavy.

Also I have 3 cm5 nozzles with a pumptec pump

Also I have 3 cm5 nozzles with a pumptec pump

How much psi are you getting out of it, how is it regulated, and where did you buy it? I got a link to a pumptec from Weston but couldn't find an online retailer.

How much psi are you getting out of it, how is it regulated, and where did you buy it? I got a link to a pumptec from Weston but couldn't find an online retailer.

Weston is also where I got my information and part numbers. I haven't run the pump yet but, it should make 800psi if I remember right.

I'd just move the existing I/C to the bed if you're worried...and the engine back while you're at it....

My pump puts out 800psi and uses a simpson water valve to regulate flow.

The engine has been set back a good bit already just throwing ideas around about the air and engine cooling. Mounting them behind the cab if at all is an option I guess just wonder how much if any air it will see crossflowing the cores with a solid bed cover.

My pump puts out 800psi and uses a simpson water valve to regulate flow.

The engine has been set back a good bit already just throwing ideas around about the air and engine cooling. Mounting them behind the cab if at all is an option I guess just wonder how much if any air it will see crossflowing the cores with a solid bed cover.

I was going to use a ball valve with a gauge to regulate pressure on the return side.

I may not have to do a bed mount intercooler but, I feel getting that heat out of the engine bay would be a plus.

Back