A2W vs. No cooler

I don't even want to know how much that setup weighs.

Well my truck hasn't had any steel cut out, I have 3 big batteries, big triple turbos and its still 5980 lbs with me in in. Which is 20 lbs under the super street minimum. So weight doesn't matter. On top of 100lbs of ice and water thats in the cab with me per pass. That intercooler isn't that heavy considering all the other heavy things we have on our truck that we don't need.

Last edited:
Well my truck hasn't had any steel cut out, I have 3 big batteries, big triple turbos and its still 5980 lbs with me in in. Which is 20 lbs under the super street minimum. So weight doesn't matter. On top of 100lbs of ice and water thats in the cab with me per pass. That intercooler isn't that heavy considering all the other heavy things we have on our truck that we don't need.

Who's cooler is it? And I know it's off topic but, I saw a pic of your turbo setup a few days back and was curious on the specs..

Curious what vehicle you guys race with and your sets up's are that you think a water/air intercooler is so heavy?
And what class are you racing that you have to get so low in weight in order to compete?

I'd guess 2wd prostreet if worried about keeping the front light.

We added a/w Intercooler and mounted the cooler where the passenger seat was. We mounted the 5 gallon (was fuel) ice tank behind the cab on the passenger side. Ran a supply and return line along with a supply pump.

We left the ice tank half full of water and filled the rest of the way with two 8 lb bags of ice. Water was usually luke warm after a 300' pass. We saw significant gains with our little backwoods set up.

I haven't done the research but we should have just gone with an a/w cooler that submerges in the ice tank thus eliminating the pump and lines.

Lots of smart folks out there who could surely size the cooler to yor needs.

IMHO the gains outweighed the added weight.

My last couple setups on my truck I have been running no intercooler. My thoughts were that I was going to be spraying one small stage of nitrous most of the time and that would be my cooling factor. I was going to add stages on top of it for power.

I found with my setup it was just making so much power I never even ran nitrous (because I am a b!tch). The problems I ran into is although the setup made power, it just ran too damn hot. Because it ran hot I had to run looser piston to wall clearance to keep pistons/cylinders from scuffing up. This caused a lot of blowby issues with 130+ psi of boost. It would leak or spray oil all over so I was pretty much limited to dirt drags. Maybe a different ring/hone combo could of helped me some, but I tried a number of different things and always had the same blowby issues.

I have gone through a number of turbos with the last couple setups and shrapnel was never an issue. Put probably a quarter of my compressor wheel through the motor and couldn't even tell. Maybe the pieces where so small it didn't make a difference, idk.

Next year plan on running a smaller a2w, tightening up my piston to wall clearance, and running a forged piston with more ring options to try and resolve my blowby issues. I am pondering water injection as an alternative to the a2w but I have no experience with it so Im not sure if I will go that route.

Before anyone asks how hot my setup got, I melted my egt prob off and could never get it working again after that.

So I would not suggest running no cooler/injectable of any kind unless you know your setup runs cool enough to not fuk chit up.

Last edited:
.012 wtp if I remember correct, wiseco piston, and tool steel gapless rings from total deal. Not a bit of blow by here.

Anthony I got some good pics of your a/w setup during world finals and really looks killer but im still a little leary of mounting it in the cab next to me lol.

We tried running no cooler and no water, it was a hot mess. We tried running no cooler with a single shot of nitrous, even hotter mess. Melted 2 engines. Went to air to water and ditched the nitrous. The power gain out weighed the weight and kept everything nice and cool. We run ~40lbs of ice and up to 2 gallons of water per pass, 1 water pump and a single feed and return line set up. There is one layer of ice and very cold water left after a burnout and 1/4 mile pass.

How much money are you guys spending on ice every day? You must not be buying bags of ice from the store right?

attachment.php

Attachments

• dt_common_streams_StreamServer.jpg
    dt_common_streams_StreamServer.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 0
How much money are you guys spending on ice every day? You must not be buying bags of ice from the store right?

attachment.php

That's a lot of ice to have to store at the racetrack for a day of racing. Figure 5 passes is going to eat up 200lbs of ice?

That's a lot of ice to have to store at the racetrack for a day of racing. Figure 5 passes is going to eat up 200lbs of ice?

Used ice machines are easy to find. All the pullers have them and it's a one time purchase

Back