A2W vs. No cooler

Not enough heat for good vaporization/ ignition or something?

I remember an article in diesel power mag with one of their pullers. It was featuring the 12cyl p-pump used for dual injection events. They got IATs to the 80s and said and colder they'd start losing power because it was taking the heat out of the flame.

I haven't run on the dyno at sub zero temps, but I have run both my diesels at lower than -20* F ambient and never noticed a loss of power. I'm having trouble figuring out how you can possibly increase air density and loose power but I'm a real novice compared to most people here, so maybe someone can explain the science behind this.

I know they sure sound different at -40f, couldn't tell if power was all there due to the ice though.

I haven't run on the dyno at sub zero temps, but I have run both my diesels at lower than -20* F ambient and never noticed a loss of power. I'm having trouble figuring out how you can possibly increase air density and loose power but I'm a real novice compared to most people here, so maybe someone can explain the science behind this.

Maybe something to do with a dry block?

I think they had trouble even getting the things started with the intake temps so cold...plus, kind of a pain, plus tended to hinder spooling because there wasn't any heat in anything. Also put the fire out more easily with nitrous. I know a few drag racers have tried em already.

I think they had trouble even getting the things started with the intake temps so cold...plus, kind of a pain, plus tended to hinder spooling because there wasn't any heat in anything. Also put the fire out more easily with nitrous. I know a few drag racers have tried em already.

To the best of my knowledge. This is why they wait to turn the pumps on ect till the run actually starts.

Thank you. A wet block, that is warmed to operating temp, will start at -40 inlet temp without hesitation, glow plugs, or intake heater. But if it is decompressed, and running cold, I can see how it might have issues, especially on a P-Pump engine. Common rail injection, with a standard or only slightly modified compression ratio, and a wet block? I bet you would have a hard time getting too cold. Or not. :p I'd love to learn more about it.

Last edited:
I run an ice water intercooler, air temps out of second turbo at 75lb boost around 290F after intercooler around 75C and around a 3psi pressure drop. the water is real warm after a run, nitrous is around $10 a lb over here so do not want to waste it just cooling the hot air down.

Well at this point we are opting for no A2W or A2A.. Plan on just running straight to the engine with no cooler, however we came up with what we feel is the best solution to the possibility of catastrophic turbo failure and shrapnel. We will be taking a 12" section of pipe and welding in vbands on both sides to allow for easy removal and will be welding in a section of sintered metal screen that is cone shaped. We use them a lot in process flows in the plant I work in commonly referred to as a "witches hat". Hopefully that will prevent any major damage if a turbo failure were to occur.

27.jpg

I would be watching the pressures on both sides of that thing. I think at high velocity that's gonna be a bigger restriction than you would expect.

I would be watching the pressures on both sides of that thing. I think at high velocity that's gonna be a bigger restriction than you would expect.

We use them in pipeline gas service with little to no differential pressure. Liquid flow they do tend to develop dp issues from contaminants should not be an issue in this application I wouldn't think.

Back