a5k boost

7inchstack

diesel dork
what are you guys running them at? and whats safe and whats not. trying to squeeze every last bit that i have outa my setup, without loosing a turbo to quick..

I'd get 58psi with just an edge and a set of 90s with a stg3 cp3.

thats what i have mine wastegated at, i just wasnt sure how much more it would take.

Forged milled wheel seems to take the beating pretty well. What A/R on the turbine housing?

I had the 1.0 on mine when I was running the A5K.Saw around the same amount of boost.

From what I've seen, the A5k's don't like much over 50. Awesome charger if kept at moderate boost levels.

joelc79 do you remember what housing it had on it? its tiny i no that, before i had my wastegate setup, it coulda probably made 80 psi+ id let off at 60 and i wasnt even WOT. now at 58 it seems to run good. just courius if it could take more. anyone seen a map for a A5K? or even no the true wheel sizes? guess i could pull mine apart and measure it..lol

Maybe jlibert could back me up on this but i think it was the .85

IIRC it was .80. I believe the larger housing for it was the 1.0 or 1.01.

Somewhere I have a map, I'll keep looking. It's in the same ballpark as a GT42.

However, with that level of boost, I am betting you are pretty far off the map and making a lot of heat.

You either need to get it on a dyno and run it at different wastegate settings to see what it will do, or, invest in a MAF so that you can see what is actually happening with the charge density. Intercooling / water injection might help a lot.

Have you checked drive pressure?

im hooking up a drive pressure gauge as we speak. yes it definitly gets really hot..(1800+) degrees so are you saying i should lower boost?

What I'm saying is, get it on a dyno and see where it stops making more power with more boost. Set your wastegate there. There isn't much sense in beating the hell out of the charger if it isn't doing you any good.

More boost is not always more power.

What I'm saying is, get it on a dyno and see where it stops making more power with more boost. Set your wastegate there. There isn't much sense in beating the hell out of the charger if it isn't doing you any good.

More boost is not always more power.

alright i was already planning on trying to dyno this week. wen i was first setting my wastegate i tried it a 50 psi and it felt strong went up to 60 and was definitly an improvement thats why i was courious as to what these chargers will take. because i dont wanna destroy my charger, espeacially when i coulda evoided it by running less boost.
thanks for the replies

see what a little bit bigger housing would cost ya, sacrifice some spool but should stretch things out about. Especially if ya got the fuel, i bet you could go as big as the 1.0 a/r and still spool descent on that charger.

I think I ran my 5k with a 1.0 I have to go back and look at my log book. It was either that or the 475, or both.

i was wondering how a 1.0 would spool, i have the fuel. as it is now this charger lights at 2100-2200 ish which is sooner then my silver bullet did. id be willing to pick up some lag for more flow up top.

I think I ran my 5k with a 1.0 I have to go back and look at my log book. It was either that or the 475, or both.

hows your 475 spool? i would asume you dont street drive it? atleast not a DD.

Last edited:
the comp wheel is strong... it was designed to prevent those things from blowing up... problem was/is, the shaft is too small :eek:

if you move up to the 1.0 housing you can bet on 2 maybe 3oo rpm more lag, you will be getting to the point of wanting a looser converter to make it better, you have that external gate tho so i would just keep it down to a max of 55psi or even 50 for the street and if you ever race it maybe 58 but like these guys are saying i might not live and you might not be making much more power with that thing being that far off the map..