Abridged version of the build (lots of pics, few words)

Okay, here's today's work.

Got the head all cleaned up, the new plugs are in, got the valves polished up a bit and got the head put back together.

New pipe plugs installed instead of the freeze plugs.....

Slide1-102.jpg

Intake and exhaust valves.

Slide2-103.jpg

Slide3-75.jpg

Grease the upper valve stem before inserting to lube the valve guides.....

Slide4-47.jpg

Slide5-33.jpg

Time to assemble the head.

Slide6-22.jpg

Slide7-18.jpg

Slide8-15.jpg

Slide9-13.jpg

So, today was "Start Working on Sexying Things Up" Day.

Got the fuel lines completed, for the most part. Will need to cut them to final length once I get the engine reassembled and can get the -8's to CP3's routed how I want them.

Once those were done, I started looking for all the ugly parts that I want cleaned up and painted or polished.

Started with the manifold cover. Blasted it and hit it with satin black.
Next were the motor mounts. Those have been an eye sore for as long as I can remember. So, they got blasted and painted too.

Here's the -10 fuel supply line to the FASS.....

Slide1-103.jpg

Slide2-104.jpg

Slide3-76.jpg

Here's where -10 ends and splits to -8's to the pumps. These are not yet cut to final length. the -10 will be shortened and the -8's will be cut to final length once the pumps are back on the motor.....

Slide4-48.jpg

Slide5-34.jpg

Slide6-23.jpg

Slide7-19.jpg

Slide8-16.jpg

Slide9-14.jpg

Now came the touching up the ugly parts.....

Slide10-9.jpg

Slide12-4.jpg

Slide11a.jpg

Slide11-7.jpg

Slide13-5.jpg

Slide14-3.jpg

This is an awesomely detailed build. Thanks for taking pictures for all of us to see!!!

all these engine builds makes me want to pull mine out again. great job

Got started on the block stiffener to accept the main studs today.

The main studs are not a drop in fit, you do have to drill the block stiffener to clear the studs and nuts.

Careful layout is critical here, otherwise you'll mangle the stiffener.

Measure, measure, measure......

Here you can see how much clearance you need to gain.....

Slide1-104.jpg

Slide2-105.jpg

Measure your center to center distance on the studs and carefully lay everything out on the stiffener before cutting or drilling.....

Slide3-77.jpg

Slide4-49.jpg

Slide5-35.jpg

Slide6-24.jpg

Slide7-20.jpg

Slide8-17.jpg

Slide9-15.jpg

Drill your pilot holes and verify alignment before drilling your main holes.....

Slide10-10.jpg

Once you're happy, get to work.....

Slide11-8.jpg

Slide12-5.jpg

Slide13-6.jpg

Modified Block Stiffener.....

Slide14-4.jpg

The new pistons will be here Friday.

Couldn't wait on it any longer, so had to bite the bullet and get a new set on the way.

Claim has been filed with the Magistrate Court, so we'll see how it goes.

So, being that a lot of the motor stuff will be waiting on those parts, gonna get started on the trans this week.

When it goes back in, the heat exchanger on the driver side of the block will not be there and it will have stainless braided -8 lines running up to a larger trans cooler up front.

The trans is already a built SunCoast, so all I'm doing is freshening it. New steels, frictions, seals, bands, bearings, bushings and a good clean up.

Otherwise, I just want to check the shafts and make sure they're still in good shape.

YEAH BABY!

:rockwoot:

Let's see, safe and sound BY FEDEX! Screw you UPS!

Slide1-105.jpg

Slide2-106.jpg

Slide3-78.jpg

Now to send them out for coating.......

:bang

So, being that a lot of the motor stuff will be waiting on those parts, gonna get started on the trans this week.

When it goes back in, the heat exchanger on the driver side of the block will not be there and it will have stainless braided -8 lines running up to a larger trans cooler up front.

The trans is already a built SunCoast, so all I'm doing is freshening it. New steels, frictions, seals, bands, bearings, bushings and a good clean up.

Otherwise, I just want to check the shafts and make sure they're still in good shape.

I knew you couldn't wait with the tranny just sitting there. I thought you were going to get the Aries Piston?

I considered it, but decided to keep the OEM pistons in it.

They're on the way to Swain Tech to get coated.

So, got some more work done today.

Figured I'd get all the stuff assembled on the head.

Made a few modifications to some existing parts and added some new ones.

First, gutted the grid heater.....I live in AL, it's never cold enough to need it.

Slide1-106.jpg

Assembled the new intake horn and accessories. 3 of the fittings are for water, 1 is for the boost gauge and the one that has the plug in it will be the second nitrous stage.

Slide2-107.jpg

Slide3-79.jpg

Started to put all the crap back on the head so it's ready to go.

Slide4-50.jpg

1/2 NPT to -12 NPT fitting for the bypass (this isn't the fitting that is staying on it).

Slide5-36.jpg

Rocker studs are back in.

SLide9a.jpg

Slide9-16.jpg

Modified the fitting for the heater core. 2 reasons for this....First, the opening at the bottom is only 3/16 of an inch, whereas the rest of the fitting is 3/8, so I opend that up to 3/8 to allow full flow through there. Second, I put it in the lathe and took off the top of it that is EXTREMELY sharp and tends to cut the heater core hose and cause a leak.

I forgot to get pics of it before modifying it. These are the after pictures.

Slide6-25.jpg

Slide7-21.jpg

Slide8-18.jpg

The valve cover is going the get painted, just haven't decided on what I want to do here yet. But to get it prep'd, I wanted to make sure the engine serial was always there, so the valve cover got stamped and the all the stickers got removed.

Slide10-11.jpg

Slide11-9.jpg

Slide12-6.jpg

Slide13-7.jpg

And, other than the fuel system, the head is ready to go. I'll get the injectors, lines and rail cleaned up tomorrow and put on.

Slide14-5.jpg

Looks great Rich! Can't wait to see the cover, but that top CP3 needs some "sexing up":poke: I hate how those things rust up.

Looks great Rich! Can't wait to see the cover, but that top CP3 needs some "sexing up":poke: I hate how those things rust up.

Damn You!

:bang

Even before I put it back on, I was like, "Man, that looks like azz!"

Oh well......nothin' but time until the pistons get back.

LOL and yet another on the todo list ... man just as you think its getting smaller it keeps growing lol

Back