There is 3 components to running a Air-liquid cooler
1.The cooler itself
2.Water pump
3.Liquid holding tank

What three components are you running?
i.e.
1.what size cooler?
2. what GPM water pump?
3.what size holding tank?(how much water and ice)

you mean water spray or air to water intercooler. if you mean a to w intercooler, big igloo cooler, live well fish boat pump, 500 gph

I run a big cooler, 20gpm pump, and im not sure on the ic size, i think its a 6" core with 4" inlet/outlet

I run a big cooler, 20gpm pump, and im not sure on the ic size, i think its a 6" core with 4" inlet/outlet

How much Ice and water do you put in the cooler and is there still ice at the end of the run?

I always go at least half water half ice. Most times its probably a little more ice than water. Usually theres some ice left but not much.

mines ghetto so not going to post till i revamp it

Nice topic to start, I'm settin one up right now. I was also wondering how many gallons I need to run for the ice box.

Just research theres been many threads about this lately. Our pump works great not to say others won't. You have to give the water time to exchange the heat, but water water needs to move faster enough to do so. Frozen boost .com has some good stuff for decent money. Or you can always have an intercooler built. exspensive though. We usually use 4 gals of water and 6 bags of ice and at the end of the pull, very little ice left. Also do your self a favor and shield all piping and the intercooler with seperate shields. We first tried no shields, or insulation, lets just say it smoked the ice and made steam quick.

We have a 30 gal cooler that holds the water and ice. 7 GPM pump. Usually put 40# of ice in and it is pretty much gone after 1 run. Intake pipe is cool to the touch though.

One other thought is to use brine water, made by adding salt to the water, it freezes at a lot lower temperature. As anyone that has ever hand cranked homemade ice cream.

You have to do some airflow calculations to ensure that the core will flow enough for your power goals. Most higher HP trucks need an entrance of at least 100 to 120sq inches, depending on the core used.

2010-01-22_14.53.34.jpg

Here's a cooler that we built for our NSX that made 920whp:
WAIC%20sizing%20032.jpg

For street and road race applications, we use a good size heat exchanger and pump water through that to cool the water down. However, in sled pull and drag race applications, Ice is the way to go!

One other thought is to use brine water, made by adding salt to the water, it freezes at a lot lower temperature. As anyone that has ever hand cranked homemade ice cream.

Good point,

How will salt on all the components be though?
maybe just flush out the system once and a while$.02

What about the factory cummins aftercooler is what it is called by cummins. They came i believe factory on the 8.3L and they just replace your intake plate? Then either run engine coolant or a spare pump and water resivoir. Any one ever tried that?

I thought about that halfway throught this thread since the salt makes the ice melt at a lower temperature making the water colder. Only issue I would think is the corrosive aspects of salt water...

I thought about that halfway throught this thread since the salt makes the ice melt at a lower temperature making the water colder. Only issue I would think is the corrosive aspects of salt water...

Thought about it as well...with all aluminum or copper parts, it shouldn't be too bad...

But, we were running the factory cummins air-water, so I really didn't want it rusting a hole in it, and filling the engine with salt water...I know it would take a long time using it for it to rust like that, but still

Chris

Back