Akadize process for aluminum info.....

matty169

Someone asked about it, so here is the info. We use it for nitro pistons. Well over 2000 degree EGT.

Akadize is a remarkable metal surface technology that vastly expands the usefulness of aluminum and its alloys. Akadize creates a permanent surface on the aluminum that is exceptionally hard, slippery and dense. It adds anti-corrosion, thermal resistance, and dielectric properties that are beyond the measure of conventionally-coated aluminum. The improved performance characteristics of Akadized aluminum make it the functional equal of more expensive and heavier metals. Indeed, in hundreds of applications, Akadize has surpassed performance challenges that were never before approached by aluminum. Akadize is an electrochemistry technology developed for use by NASA and aerospace programs. It utilizes unique circuitry and special additives to transform the molecular structure of the aluminum base. The new surface is half penetration and half buildup and becomes an integral, permanent part of the aluminum.

Akadized aluminum has been commended for its superb performance in the most demanding conditions. It has proven itself in space and undersea, in extremes of temperature and harsh environment.

Among the many current applications for Akadized aluminum are:
Aerospace components Chemical processing equipment Camping equipment
Computer components Automotive pistons and parts High speed projectiles
Motorcycles Solar energy components Sporting goods
Wires Labeling machine components Fishing equipment
Valves Pumps
Marine components Medical instruments
Akadized aluminum offers the engineer, the designer, the manufacturer and the fabricator an exciting new range of efficiencies and capabilities. It is , indeed, a breakthrough in aluminum technology.

Features

Hardness:
Akadized aluminum resists wear, scratching and galling, and has a hardness range of 9.2 to 9.7 on the Moh's Scale (Note: the Moh's scale, comparing surface hardness, rates diamond highest at 10. Sapphire is 9. Thus, Akadize at 9.7 rates in the diamond-hard range.)Aluminum alloys Akadized to a depth of 0.002" have withstood abrasion in a Taber test using C-17 wheels at 70 rpm for 200,000 cycles.

Density:
Akadized aluminum has a very low friction coefficient. The surface is of such high lubrication that it eliminates all discernible tension to solid, liquid or gaseous mixtures.

Corrosion Resistance:
Akadized components have withstood more than 1700 hours of continuous exposure to salt spray, suggesting a potential salt atmosphere life of 300 years. Akadized aluminum has an exceptional ability, also, to resist attack by corrosive gasses and liquids.

Dielectric Properties:
An aluminum surface Akadized to 0.003" has resisted 2000 volts before breakdown, while conventional hard anodic coatings normally breakdown at 1000 volts or less.

Thermal Resistance:
Akadized aluminum is an amazing thermal barrier that has resisted heat to 2000 degrees F for 15 minutes without metallurgical transition. The Akadized surface becomes a heat shield for the aluminum which would otherwise, have melted at 1220 degrees F.

Reactivity: Akadized aluminum is inert.

Flexibility: Akadized wire will normally not fracture on the compression or tension sides.

Thickness: Can be controlled within 0.0002"

Military Specifications: Akadized surface-treated aluminum has been used under the "Banadize" trade name for aerospace and defense purposes. (NASA-approved MilSpec A8625C & LTC 12672)

P.S. I WITNESSED AN AKADIZED PISTON BEING USED TO DRESS A GRINDING WHEEL WITHOUT BEING HARMED. TRY THAT WITH YOUR CERAMIC OR WHATEVER COATING YOU WANT. THAT IS WHEN WE DECIDED TO TRY THIS COATING. WE HAVE NEVER HURT A PISTON IN A NITRO HARLEY SINCE THIS PROCESS. FIND ANY TEAM THAT CAN MAKE THAT CLAIM.

Lovatt Processes Corporation

13033 Telegraph Road
Ph:562-946-1910

Fax:562-946-5557
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670-3434
1-888-LOVATTS (1-888-568-2887)

Last edited:
Sound very interesting, I wonder how much they charge for a standard size piston from a cummins or duramax? Do you have the whole piston coated or just the top?

All of it is coated.

Make sure ALL machining is complete before coating. Coating was about $200 for 8 pistons, I think.

that is actually a real good price for 8... too bad big swole hadnt heard of this last time!!!

I called and talked to them, Lovatt Processes Corp.
Was told 1800 degrees for short burst. The same
as the other coatings.

I know of a 2wd mod truck with pistons treated this way being used in the latest rebuild...

That is a very reasonable price, but is it really only good for up to 1800*? The high end ceramic coatings are into the 2200* temps now.

Temps......

We see WELL over 2000 degree EGT down the track on nitro. We run anywhere from 75-95% nitro and burn about 3 gallons per pass with the bike. This is with a datalogger. (racepak)

Is this done in santa fe springs? I'm right next door in norwalk and I would be interested in doing that for my motor build.

Garrett

I dont know who told you that, but........

I called and talked to them, Lovatt Processes Corp.
Was told 1800 degrees for short burst. The same
as the other coatings.

Thermal Resistance:
Akadized aluminum is an amazing thermal barrier that has resisted heat to 2000 degrees F for 15 minutes without metallurgical transition. The Akadized surface becomes a heat shield for the aluminum which would otherwise, have melted at 1220 degrees F.

This is DIRECT from Lovatt.

I tried calling them with both numbers that are listed on friday and it said both were disconnected. What is the number to get ahold of them?

Isn't this a hardening treatment/process rather than a coating? Can the skirts still be teflon coated?

New # 562-449-5649
I talked to them about a month ago,
Was told owner would call back with more information, never called back.

Thermal Resistance:

This is DIRECT from Lovatt.

Do you have firsthand experience with akadize?

I see now that I missed that it was a coating. So here is my question, how thick is a coating? However much you want? Reason I ask is I'm going to have my pistons cut to fit a big cam so do I have to actually cut them to whatever I need to fit the cam plus however thick the coating is?

In between solution for CR meltdown guys that cant go to mono's? But want better than ceramic?

Interesting