Another Fummins Build Thread

Meyers Farms

Putting a 1995 12v in a 2001 Ford F-350. I've always been a Ford guy but I love the Cummins so it makes perfect sense. I really like the OBS Fords but they just don't have enough leg room for me so I had to go with a newer one. The original plan was to swap the whole drivetrain but since I found a Ford with a zf6 I decided to just use the engine and sell the other parts.

This truck is going to be a toy/tow vehicle. Shooting for about 500 hp. My goal is July 4th weekend to have this completed. There is a dyno thats going to be at a local diesel event and I would like to hit the rollers with her. I should be finished earlier than that but projects usually take longer than expected!!! Working on it on the weekends and evenings when I can. Planting season is upon us (if it ever dries out!!) So progress may slow for a bit till everything is in the ground.

Donor: 1995 Dodge 12v 4x4 5 speed, 154,000 mi. The truck already had a new dual disk, 4 gsk, delivery valves, marine 370s, rebuilt trans, rebuilt transfercase, gauges, and bigger turbo. It was wrecked and had bent steering linkage, no brakes, and definitely a messed up body. The seller was building a house so he needed it sold.

SAM_0612.jpg

The truck getting the Cummins is a 2001 Ford f350 ECLB SRW PSD 4x4 6 SPD. It was a bone stock one owner truck, 158,000 mi.

IMAG0196.jpg

I pulled the engine and put new seals and gaskets in it.

SAM_0622.jpg

IMAG0155.jpg

Pulled the P-stroke.

IMAG0228.jpg

Where I'm at right now.

IMAG0225.jpg

I've been working on cleaning up the engine bay and painting it. It's been raining a lot here lately so painting has been slow bc the humidity is so high. 14 inches of rain in the month of April! Most EVER for any month in my area. Still waiting to paint the engine too. Its gonna be flat black with red valve covers. The turbo is a caterpillar so I'm thinking about leaving it Cat yellow (not sure yet, suggestions welcome!). Can't wait to get this done so I can drive it!!!

Any suggestions or pointers welcome! Always looking for useful input!

Thanks for the comments, ordering some parts today to get that thing in there! Ready to drive this thing!

Progress has been slow right now. Finally had a little dry spell and were able to get in the fields. Needless to say we've been going like hell so no time for the truck. I have made a little progress though.

Got some painting done. Still have to clean up the axle and paint it.

IMAG0281.jpg

Engine is now timed (18*) and is ready to be cleaned and painted.

IMAG0275.jpg

Got my adapter plate and motor mounts.

IMAG0278.jpg

IMAG0276.jpg

Decided on paint for the engine: flat black everything except cummins red valve covers and compressor housing. Gonna leave the timing case untouched. Hope to make some more progress this week since its supposed to rain till Friday.

You should add some sound proofing to the fire wall while the engine is out.