Another Fummins Build Thread

Had the ol girl firing on ether last night!!! I think the timing is off. Have fuel to all injectors but won't fire on fuel alone. Recheck timing again tonight and hopefully she will take off on fuel alone. Such a great feeling to hear it run!!!

So you used a valair nv5600 clutch for a zf-6 transmission?

Cool build and can't wait to see it finished.

Looks great. How hard was the wiring for the cruise control? I'm about to put a 12v in my 97 and that's the only part I'm not sure on.

Please post up your results on this when the time comes. Look forward to seeing you finish as well. Good luck sorting out the last details.

Please post up your results on this when the time comes. Look forward to seeing you finish as well. Good luck sorting out the last details.

Thanks! I'll post up details when I get to the cruise control. I got the truck running now. Timing was off. I have a bad sound coming from the bellhousing area so that needs to be figured out still. Then clean up the wiring put front bumper etc back on and roadtest the ol girl!

Got the truck on the road!! Put about 100 miles on it so far. I have been driving it relatively easy because of the new clutch. It has been hard to resist the itch to open her up though:st:. So far I love this thing, much nicer to drive that my 97 Dodge. Got rid of the 265 tires and threw on some 305/75/r16 BFG a/t's. Also planning on some window tint this week. New wheels will be coming in the spring. I'm having a charging issue right now that I need to work out and need to get exhaust and gauges installed. Hope to finish those up this coming week and put some more miles on her and work out any other bugs I might come across.

Picture as she looks now:

IMAG0722.jpg

For the lower radiator hose I went a little different route than anything I've seen on here. I used stainless steel and made a piece of 1" x 4" box tubing and welded some nipples on it to accept the radiator hoses. I calculated the cross sectional areas of both to make sure there was enough flow. This piece runs between the a/c compressor and the frame. I also welded a tab on it and ran a bolt from the ac compressor thru it to give it some strength. Seems to be working well so far.

IMAG0648.jpg

IMAG0647.jpg

Last edited:
In just starting a swap like this, is there any issues removing #6 VC for adjustments? Does the Fordcummins use 2nd gen motor mounts? I'm using a Gen 1 VE pumped motor, do I need to get engine mounts from a 2nd gen Dodge? Is anyone using the Ford alternator, everyone's pics show a Dodges alternator pros cons? Advice... or dos and don'ts? I'm trying to be very prepared for this, Mines a 2001 F350, 7.3, ZF6, 4X4 Thanks in advance, Artie

In just starting a swap like this, is there any issues removing #6 VC for adjustments? Does the Fordcummins use 2nd gen motor mounts? I'm using a Gen 1 VE pumped motor, do I need to get engine mounts from a 2nd gen Dodge? Is anyone using the Ford alternator, everyone's pics show a Dodges alternator pros cons? Advice... or dos and don'ts? I'm trying to be very prepared for this, Mines a 2001 F350, 7.3, ZF6, 4X4 Thanks in advance, Artie

-#6 Valve cover can be removed easily

-I bought motor mounts from Fordcummins, they are custom units. Several companies make them (Fordcummins, Destroked, etc.)

-Some people use the Ford alternator. I used the dodge alternator, you just have to wire up an external regulator. No big deal.

Do's
-Take your time and do it right the first time. You will thank yourself when you are finished.
-Add sound proofing where ever you can on the firewall and inside the cab if you want. The more the better.
-Lots of pieces need modified/custom made, take your time on these!

Are you planning on moving the engine trans back towards rear of the truck? You may or may not do this. I chose not to move mine and used electric fans instead of the engine driven fan. I am not totally sure if they will cool well enough while towing in the summer but I will find out. I can dig up the part number if you need it.

Any questions just ask. Good luck on your swap, create a thread and keep us updated.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm wanting a clean conversion. I'm intersted in your lower hose transition. I'm probaly going to do the whole fummins deal with the ex. manifold. Electric fans, too... Keep us posted and thanks for taking the time to share your truck with us, Artie

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm wanting a clean conversion. I'm intersted in your lower hose transition. I'm probaly going to do the whole fummins deal with the ex. manifold. Electric fans, too... Keep us posted and thanks for taking the time to share your truck with us, Artie

No problem, if you have any questions just give me a shout. I don't know much but I'll help you if I can.

Here's something I've been thinking about, what did you do for a downpipe? 2nd gen Dodge? Did you connect to the fords system? I don't have any downpipe, so I'll need to buy the one that needs the least of mods. I think I have an aftermarket exhaust on the F350 now, and thik it's 4". Thanks, Artie

Here's something I've been thinking about, what did you do for a downpipe? 2nd gen Dodge? Did you connect to the fords system? I don't have any downpipe, so I'll need to buy the one that needs the least of mods. I think I have an aftermarket exhaust on the F350 now, and thik it's 4". Thanks, Artie

I sourced a 4 inch downpipe from a Caterpillar industrial application, added about 4" to the turbo side of it and welded on a flange that fit my turbo. I think my downpipe has about a 45 degree angle in it. Then I found a used 4" tailpipe section from another Ford and fabbed a piece to connect the downpipe to the tailpipe. My exhaust is 4" turbo back.

If I was using the stock turbo I would think the stock dodge dp would work, just might need a little fab work. Then connect that to your 4" system.

Last edited:
I got all the kinks out of my conversion, except grid heaters, AC and reworking my innercooler to get the hotpipe on the frame rail, instead of in the air from the turbo then down to the IC. I'm hoping that everyone who turned the Dodge starter up-side-down sealed and reclocked the water drains. I had to fab a 3"-4" downpipe from scratch and works well. Thanks to Meyers farms and everyone. What did you use for a tach signal? I used a CPS from an 01 gas for 16.99 and works well! I used a oil pressure sending unit to operate my SES light. Any AC advice? Thanks, Artie

Been working on the truck here and there when I can find some time. Here's some more pics of the progress. Planned on having the engine bolted in this weekend, but I need longer flywheel bolts to accomodate the flywheel spacer:doh:. Unfortunately no bolt houses are open bc of the holiday weekend.

Mocked up the starter and adapter plate. Had to trim the trans bellhousing to clear the starter/starter gear. Also in the corner of the picture you can see where I added some sound deadener to the firewall.

IMAG0334.jpg

Adapter plate and spacer mocked up on the engine. Had to trim the right side of the engine block so the starter would bolt up correctly.

IMAG0340.jpg

Cleaned and painted the engine. Still have to do the valve covers. They're gonna be Cummins Apex Red. The rest of the engine will remain flat black.

IMAG0331.jpg

Before paint I had to replace two of the bosses on the sided of the block for the motor mount. The engine was out of a wrecked truck and when it was wrecked two bosses cracked off the engine block. My neighbor has a fabrication shop at his house and he welded them up for me. Keeping my fingers crossed that they hold!

IMAG0298.jpg

Airdog and gauges arrived Friday so those will be going in soon too. Starting to look like something now, just ready to set that engine in there and bolt it up!

this looks like my uncles adapter plates at destroked?