Another Fummins Build Thread

Update

Been working on the truck here and there when I can find some time. Here's some more pics of the progress. Planned on having the engine bolted in this weekend, but I need longer flywheel bolts to accomodate the flywheel spacer:doh:. Unfortunately no bolt houses are open bc of the holiday weekend.

Mocked up the starter and adapter plate. Had to trim the trans bellhousing to clear the starter/starter gear. Also in the corner of the picture you can see where I added some sound deadener to the firewall.

IMAG0334.jpg

Adapter plate and spacer mocked up on the engine. Had to trim the right side of the engine block so the starter would bolt up correctly.

IMAG0340.jpg

Cleaned and painted the engine. Still have to do the valve covers. They're gonna be Cummins Apex Red. The rest of the engine will remain flat black.

IMAG0331.jpg

Before paint I had to replace two of the bosses on the sided of the block for the motor mount. The engine was out of a wrecked truck and when it was wrecked two bosses cracked off the engine block. My neighbor has a fabrication shop at his house and he welded them up for me. Keeping my fingers crossed that they hold!

IMAG0298.jpg

Airdog and gauges arrived Friday so those will be going in soon too. Starting to look like something now, just ready to set that engine in there and bolt it up!

Looking good, I also had to weld up 2 mount boss's on my block from a wrecked truck and it's been good so far so you should be fine since it bolts to more than just the 2 bolts

MF I see the engine is/was somewhat disassembled are you or have you checked the condition of the gear cover (KDP) dowel pin? Looking good too!

Last edited:
Lookin good!

Thanks!

Looking good, I also had to weld up 2 mount boss's on my block from a wrecked truck and it's been good so far so you should be fine since it bolts to more than just the 2 bolts

Glad to hear. I figured they should hold since its not just those two bosses holding it. Hopefully I have the same luck you do!

thats gonna suck running that exhaust with that starter in the way

Ya its gonna be a tight fit, but I'll make it work.

MF I see the engine is/was somewhat disassembled are you or have you checked the condition of the gear cover (KDP) dowel pin? Looking good too!

Absolutely! The previous owner had actually already tabbed it, but I double checked to make sure.

Update

Making some progress here and there on the truck whenever spare time allows.

I'm using a dodge 6 spd. Valair dual disc built for towing. 3800lb plate load. Part# NMU70NV56 DDSN-ORG. For the same price as the original clutch package Valair sent a Ford release bearing, Ford alignment tool, and installed the pilot bearing I need for my application.:rockwoot:

IMAG0398.jpg

IMAG0399.jpg

Where I'm at right now.... Engine is installed and everything bolted up. Hopefully gonna get the Airdog installed tonight and maybe some other odds and ends.

IMAG0400.jpg

IMAG0401.jpg

Getting closer....just ready to hear her run!

Thanks for the nice words guys. Got some more time recently to get some work done. Here is the latest progress.

IMAG0530.jpg

IMAG0529.jpg

Getting closer to firing her up. Have to mount my battery box, make a lower radiator hose, install throttle cable, and do the wiring. I have the downpipe mocked up I just have to weld it together. Hope to get some time this week to get back to work on this thing.

After I get it running plans are to paint the valve covers cummins red like the turbo. Clean up the intercooler piping, and hook up the a/c and cruise.

Last edited:
did you use the grinder on the bellhousing or? i did one of this and with the valair flywheel wasnt needed on the s-06 ,it comes with a spacer for the starter and you grind that instead.
fits nice.

did you use the grinder on the bellhousing or? i did one of this and with the valair flywheel wasnt needed on the s-06 ,it comes with a spacer for the starter and you grind that instead.
fits nice.

I had to grind the side of the bellhousing (zf6) when the starter engaged it would hit the bellhousing. With the spacer installed the starter would not engage far enough to get a good contact with the flywheel.

Maybe I'm not totally understanding what you're saying?