Anybody else get a good look at the new comp wheels on the Holset turbos???

hey guys you talked me into trying one on my 93, any info help or anything will be greatly apreciated. what all needs to be done just to mount it? does it just bolt right on? blacksky can you give me a pic of your actuator and how you have it setup to open the vanes i wanna get as much info as i can before i start, i havent bought it yet but i found a 351 vgt on ebay so i plan on buying it.

Welcome to CompD diesel freak01 :Cheer:

You will need to make an adapter to make the goofy T4i flange fit the traditional T3. Since you are looking at a 351 my pictures are going to be pretty useless as the 300 and 400 series VGT works bass ackwards... Though I can get some better pics if you want there should be pics earlier in this thread. Another one to look at is HE351VE on a 12 valve - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together That one is specifically about putting a 351 on a 12 valve. There are some interesting set up's in there too. $.02

ok so can i just buy this T3 TO T4 TURBO ANGLE FLANGE ADAPTOR COROLLA :eBay Motors (item 170343626655 end time Sep-09-09 18:38:20 PDT)
or will that not work? and i know this is gonna be all different for me since im running a 93. thanks for all the info this will be an awesome set up to run i think!

No, there is a difference between the traditional T4 and the T4i... You will more than likely need to make a custom piece. Shouldn't be much different than on a 94-98 truck other than maybe clearance issues. I'm sure once you get it on and set up the way you want it it will be a great set up. Should be able to handle most any fueling mods you do to that VE pump too :Cheer:

so im going to hafta get a chunk of steel and cut one out is what you are saying? or can i buy the t4 adapterand modify it?

another question from what im reading i can take a manifold from a 6.7 and bolt it to my 5.9 is this true? if so i think i will do that rather than fabricate one

That doesn't look like the one I made. I'll see if I can find a pic.

another question from what im reading i can take a manifold from a 6.7 and bolt it to my 5.9 is this true? if so i think i will do that rather than fabricate one

That would work for 24v heads with the round exhaust ports... Our 12v heads have rectangular ports. You can try port matching the manifold, but I've heard that it doesn't work out so well... Not enough material left to seal properly.

x2 I would go this route... The flanges will cost you as much as the turbo, but it will be done right and be bolt on without modifying the manifold (I welded mine on directly to the manifold).

Ah. I think I figured it out. I fabbed for a HE551VGT. You are doing a HE351. Right?

i have an idea how to make everything to work if i can find the parts to do it, need a three way electronic solenoid, use one way to bring the eb on and the cent position to just ride along as the geometry changes, the third position i have come up with a plan to run with a rheostat to allow me to control the vnes in the turbo, which would allow for highway speeds to be all the way open or if wanting aquick spoolup to turn the know and close the vanes. any thoughts?

wow i just noticed i cannot type or spell today!:hehe:

Ah. I think I figured it out. I fabbed for a HE551VGT. You are doing a HE351. Right?

You make that for Chris or someone else? If someone else, how is it working for them?

i have an idea how to make everything to work if i can find the parts to do it, need a three way electronic solenoid, use one way to bring the eb on and the cent position to just ride along as the geometry changes, the third position i have come up with a plan to run with a rheostat to allow me to control the vnes in the turbo, which would allow for highway speeds to be all the way open or if wanting aquick spoolup to turn the know and close the vanes. any thoughts?

wow i just noticed i cannot type or spell today!:hehe:

:hehe: better than some on this site

That sounds like a plan, but I haven't noticed any loss of mileage on the highway and it carries about 12psi at 80... But the pyro only says 650* :rockwoot:

thats awesome, do you have any idea how far it is "opened up" on the highway? well wont really be camparible to my setup i guess so that doesnt matter. any ideas on where to get that 3 way solenoid or something to steal it from lol

You make that for Chris or someone else? If someone else, how is it working for them?

:hehe: better than some on this site

That sounds like a plan, but I haven't noticed any loss of mileage on the highway and it carries about 12psi at 80... But the pyro only says 650* :rockwoot:
Yes, for Chris. The control scheme for his is a little different and it will take some work to tune.

thats awesome, do you have any idea how far it is "opened up" on the highway? well wont really be camparible to my setup i guess so that doesnt matter. any ideas on where to get that 3 way solenoid or something to steal it from lol

Not very far... It doesn't even start to open up until 10psi and it doesn't rest too far from full closed as an initial setting. Not sure if it would work with air, but I know a lot of newer AG equipment uses electric over haydrualic valves. Little solenoids switch back and forth to use hydrualic pressure to operate valves.

Yes, for Chris. The control scheme for his is a little different and it will take some work to tune.

That should be interesting then... Even my simple set up turned out to require a bit of tuning.

Yeah...it would be nice to be able to see what's happening. Need an underhood camera!

Chris

Grab a cab cam from A&I... 7" TFT monitor and full color camera with IR night vision capabilities for $300 dealer cost, we have one on the shelf that we've been threatening to put on our own tractor for some time now.

Doesn't drive too bad, but only builds about 6psi below 2K RPM...after that, she rocks and rolls. It's just a BIG charger!

I'm busy the next couple weekends, but I'll work on it when I can and see if I can make it any better!
Chris