Are headstuds REALLY that nessisary?

fastnel bolts here, 18 hooks this summer
50 psi no problems yet. Blackskyracing had eme on his truck with twins pushing 70 psi never had issues either
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

My buddy and I run Allen bolts and we've got our money's worth out of them. I'm not saying they are better then an true stud. But if you clean the hole and bottom tap the block you won't have any problems with them. We ran a 700+ vp truck for 2 summers with 50+ pulls without any problem and it was still holding the day he sold it

Skip to 6:58 it's the 00 black dually
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUeP2az3gsY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUeP2az3gsY[/ame]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ehh don't mean to be a dick but are you sure?

How much are y'all paying for Fastenal bolts? I need to find someone with an account so I don't get raped

Very sure. Both my 12v and 24v are 12.9. The small 8mm bolts that hold the rocker pedestals down on the 12v are 9.8, FWIW.

The link to the kit posted of the bolts for $135 seems like a good choice for something like my 1st gen, I cannot for the life of me figure out what makes a stud kit worth $500. Have you ever looked at what ARP charges for individual studs?? Some of my Small Block Mopar **** takes weird studs when you get into high end heads, they ask $800+ for a kit, piece one together for around $250 or so.

Anyone wanna measure their ARP kit and post it??

Edit I didn't know **** was censored...... ****

Last edited:
Keating and Darren Morrison run head bolts on everything they build.

He said his prostreet s10 is still running head bolts. Also so is the black mamba.

Yup 1500hp and 150lbs of boost and stock head bolts. We only use them if the customer insists. Although our blocks are fire ringed, but we do use stock bolts with oringed heads too.

Stock head bolts are 12.9.

That is true but, stock head bolts are 10.9mm diameter with 12mm threads, whereas the allen bolts are almost a full 12mm dia. They are good bolts, but the heads suck.

Back when I was running them I looked for something with a better head, and found some full 12mm diameter 12pt 12.9 bolts that I was going to switch too. But then I ran across the Extreme Studs.

Last edited:
I say OP runs the setup just for the feed back.

Monkey Fist Rage

What do you mean? Just run stock boots and see what happens? Lol to be honest I think having a restrictive turbo is worse than a crap load of boost. I think I should reset the timing so I know exactly where it's at.

What do you mean? Just run stock boots and see what happens? Lol to be honest I think having a restrictive turbo is worse than a crap load of boost. I think I should reset the timing so I know exactly where it's at.

Yeah, no-one appears to have much feedback on rings and bolts on a mild build. Try it and find out.

Provided you ignore to georgia bolt guru's

Monkey Fist Rage

Yup 1500hp and 150lbs of boost and stock head bolts. We only use them if the customer insists. Although our blocks are fire ringed, but we do use stock bolts with oringed heads too.

You use fire rings and stock bolts? I didn't thknk you could do that

You use fire rings and stock bolts? I didn't thknk you could do that

******* don't question it!!! It works on trucks that run less than an oil change interval. It will work for you too!

Monkey Fist Rage

******* don't question it!!! It works on trucks that run less than an oil change interval. It will work for you too!

Monkey Fist Rage

Wrong....we do it on every street truck...why spend the money on them when we don't have a head gasket issue. I bet I can name 10 STREET trucks right now with stock head bolts that fart out more power than your truck makes.
Matter of fact a 2 seperate 12 valves with the original head gaskets (stock bolts) one with 315k and the other with 230k miles that run mid 11sec 1/4s. Bone stock engines minus turbos, injectors, and spring kit.

Last edited: