ATI damper came off when the cam broke

97crewcab

Wrong.
We broke the cam in our puller last weekend and when it happened our new ATI damper came off. The balancer (outer) portion of the damper sheared off the 6 1/4 bolts that hold it on but the pulley stayed on the crank. It happened at the line as we were bringing the rpms up.

Has this happened to anyone? I don't like putting parts on the track. It was the 1st time something actually hit the track in 3 years!

Last edited:
I am not saying it is an ATI issue, just asking if it is a fluke deal or....?

As far as I know it was installed correctly.

It was a cast Hamilton grind.

It sounds like you are at the level that a steel cam would benefit you. Send the broken cam back to us and we will give you a 50% credit toward a steel cam if that would help.

Sounds like the sudden change in RPM was more than the bolts were up to. I would call ATI and see what they say. I have spun my engine over 6,000 many times without issue and it runs an ATI. Please keep us informed as to what they say, if you get in touch with them.

It sounds like you are at the level that a steel cam would benefit you. Send the broken cam back to us and we will give you a 50% credit toward a steel cam if that would help.

Sounds like the sudden change in RPM was more than the bolts were up to. I would call ATI and see what they say. I have spun my engine over 6,000 many times without issue and it runs an ATI. Please keep us informed as to what they say, if you get in touch with them.

Thanks. I am not blaming your product for the failure. I feel it is part of competition. The motor should be running again tomorrow night with any luck. I am not sure what to do with the damper. I ordered new bolts to put it back on but haven't decided what we will be doing yet.

I appreciate your attitude towards the situation. It is atypical in the diesel industry. If you would like, we can send you a replacement so that you are ready for this weekend. You can catch up with us at a later date on payment.

Last edited:
I appreciate your attitude towards the situation. It is atypical in the diesel industry. If you would like, we can send you a replacement so that you are ready for this weekend. You can catch up with us at a later date on payment.

Now that's customer service!!!

Sent from my paperweight

I can't help but wonder how hard I'm pushing the limits of my cast cam. Over 5k and a fast 13mm pump. I really don't have time to change it, but then again I really don't have time to change it and repair valvetrain and pistons either.

Then again that would be a fantastic reason to go to a 12V head. LOL

A good example of why a damper shield should be used even with the best parts.

Where did it go after it came off?

Where did the cam break. Could look into a bearing support if you broke the nose of the cam. Ive never had problems with ati bolts breaking just taking the countersunk ones back out for removal.

The damper just ended up under the truck. It happened just as the turbo would have started to come alive. Not exciting/dramatic what so ever. We try to have all of the safety parts on our truck and it was very disappointing to put parts on the ground.

I wouldn't mind running a cam support but I un Jesse's cover and he doesn't offer the support yet. I broke it at the first lobe just like many people do with these motors.

Truck is back running with new bolts in the ati. I actually think we had it installed incorrectly the first time. Hopefully that is the last time we have the motor apart this year. Two pulls the next two days.

Back