Ats converter slipping?

durbin88

I have an ATS stage II trans with a 5 star converter, and it seems like the stall is too high. When I mash down the throttle cruising around 40 mph, the the rpms just shoot up to near redline and just sort of hang there as it shifts through the gears. Don't get me wrong, it pulls hard but does not seem to load the engine like I think it should, anyone else expereince anything like this ?

The 5 star I have seems mushy compared to the 3 disk I have in the other truck. I'm running John Deere hytrans which helped some.

would the ats commander controller help my situation out by locking the converter when i'd like, or am i going to have to go the restall route

would the ats commander controller help my situation out by locking the converter when i'd like, or am i going to have to go the restall route

In the last issue of Diesel Power Magazine, there was a nice ATS ad about the fluid coupling "viscous xxxx" technology that makes the 5 star more efficient and provides the perfect stall speed.

If I were you, I'd go study that ad before you decide to remove the converter and let another shop ruin that perfect :bow: ATS 5 star converter.

I may be biased, but I really like the triple disk converter from Phil Taylor @ Diesel Performance Converters in my Junker Drag Truck. Since Phil is an avid drag racer, he can help guide you to the correct stall speed and tough lock-up clutch setup.

The problem I ran into doing that was there was a huge drop in rpm which was not as much of an issue at high throttle but mid and low throttle was no good. I would give Phil at DPC a call or pm on here he goes by slowpoke .

Unless your locking it at 40 the slipping is coming from somewhere else...fluid coupling is what it's doing unlocked. If the stall is too high the RPM's would just "shoot up" but most ATS stalls unless specified shouldn't be that loose.

-Dustin-

My trans does that too, I got a goerend with the triple disk, regardless the TC is always "slipping" unless its locked. Get a lockup switch, or like you said the ATS commander .... lockup switch IMO is cheaper and just as reliable ... as long as you can remember to unlock it when u stop. I have one temp installed on my truck but eventually am going to find myself a nice headlight switch from an older car and mount it on the floor.

so you think my trans is slipping or the converter itself...

When its locks does it still have an slip? Mine was not specified to be a high stall but it was and Phil confirmed my thoughts. My rpm would just shoot up to around 2500 and stay there even just light throttle . I was thinking trans was the issue but started messing with the pcs and locking the converter at different mphs and when it locked there was NO slip. Sent it to Phil and his reply was "I don't know why they would send you such a loose converter " he changed it and walah all better. But that is just my case and yours might be a different story.

no because when it locks and i floor it theres no slip, it only slips when the tc isnt locked and the rpms just shoot up just like you described

Bpetricek-A floor mounted switch is exactly what I figured would be best too. One that closes only when your foot is pressing on it. It just seemd safer than something you have to reach for or even remeber to turn off. A lock up option is the one funnest switch I have ever had, ever!

The stall of a convertor will change alot depending on the torque thrown at it. My tiny twin setup spools quick. When grossing 24,000 lbs. I can really flash the convertor up. I've never had a convertor built for a certain setup but this would be the best as stall is related to torque.

I bet their converters are biased a little on the loose side cause the elevation is so high up there....need a loose stall to light those turbos at 10,000 ft DA!

JQ- I cant tell if thats sarcasm but mine is exactly the opposite. My ats is entirely too tight for this turbo but it doesnt slip one bit, always locks up hard and now that i have the shift points set up better its much nicer to drive. When i had the small stock turbo on the tighter converter helped a whole lot especially since i could make the like new recon billet single disk shudder once it locked up. Love my ats so far.

Durbin- Something is WRONG...