Axle Carnage. Please HELP! Truck Down

4x4dually

Staff member
Well, when it rains, it pours. I turned rotors, new p-brake shoes, new axle seals, cleaned everything, new fluid...but didn't put new bearings in. After 60 miles...on the way home from work...the inner wheel bearing on the drivers side of my rear axle detonated. Sorry for no pics...but I can't even get the axle out of the tube to get the hub off. It will come out just far enough to pull the hub out about 4 inches and see with a light that the end of the axle tube is crushed and I'm sure the axle shaft is hosed. Perfect. I drop 200 bills on parts and a whole evenings time to fix this SOB then it REALLY blows up.

Anyway, the truck is on blocks and will be until I figure out what the heck to do. Does anyone have a Dana 80 (I think that is right) with 3.54 gears that I can buy for a "good 'ol boy" price?

Any ideas on what to do will be GREATLY appreciated. If I can buy the tube (and what ever else has to come with it) and a new axle shaft that would be great...but dangit...I just want to drive this truck and quit working on it. It really makes you think, "If I would have saved all the money I put into this truck, I could have a new one by now."

I'm sad, very sad and just plain disgusted at this point. I need a great big Comp D hug and some parts. I have said for years that I would drive this truck until the wheels feel off....well...close enough.

Someone please cheer me up with some good news.

There you are! I wanted to call you tonight but didn't have your number. I'd have to find a set of 17" rims and tires though. And I'm worried how the front axle would engage with my vacuum controls. Any idea? Got time to talk?

Jory, a buddy of mine deals in nationwide salvage parts.... might be able to find you a better deal than you think :)

That sucks, sorry to hear it. I know how you feel. My entire front end about fell out of my old dodge 250 miles from home when my wheel bearing let loose. It was a real mofo to get back together, not to mention get it trailered home. Good luck....BTW, if you need a hug I'm sure Billy...er, my avatar would be happy to offer one!:hehe:

I do need a hug and some serious cheering up. Just talked to Chris about 3rd gen axles. I'd love to but scared. Forrest, I'd be willing to find out what we can find. I hate to buy new for a truck with 120K miles on it but I'm also scared of even touchin' it again. I thought I did a great job and BOOOM.

shipping is usually pretty cheap... I would GUESS he could get a complete rear to a business in your area for under $700... pure guess though, don't quote me on that

Thanks Forrest. If you don't mind givin' him a ring when you can and see if the damage to the wallet is better or worse, I'd sure owe you.

yeah, no worries... your best bet is to PM me a reminder so I'll remember to call him tomorrow morning. I"m about half a liter deep in a bottle of vodka right now! LOL

"When it rains it pours" Tell me about it, I've lost the two best Border Collies I've ever owned, the best head horse I've ever owned, and the engine in my truck in the last few months, but my girlfriend is still here. I know what the monkey on your back feels like. Let me see what I can find.

Hey Jory, the same thing basically happened to my truck last year pulling... I had a machine shop make me a new axle tube end and they orbital welded it on... It cost me about $3-400 minus the new bearings, axle shafts from Moser and lube. Might be something to look into. It was actually a local truck shop(big rigs) that I talked to. Apparently it happens more than you hear about and they can do it on site, but it saved me a few hundred to pull the axle myself and take it to them. Its a shame your not closer, they did an A+ job for me...

Its a shame yours is a dually, I have a spare axle shaft I could hook you up with... Give Moser a call though, their shafts were within a few bucks of stock shafts and they assured me they are alot stronger. Guess we'll find out this year, lol

Thanks Jeremy. That is what I was wondering...if you could seperate the tube from the "pumpkin" and replace only that. Maybe I'll call Oklahoma Truck Supply in Tonkawa and see what Cliff says. Either way, it will be a circus. I think there is a place in OKC called "wheel and axle" or some crap....I may try to look them up too. I sure had bigger things planned than this for my week. The wife is holding on me framing up the baby boys new bedroom now.... I'm sure she's not too pleased to say the least.

I know that feeling all to well. Take one step forward and 3 steps back. I got a buddy that works in the salvage area also and I'll see if he's got something laying around.

Actually its not the whole tube... they cut the tube at the backing plate leaving about 1/8-1/4" so they can taper the edge to weld too, then they turn a whole new "stub" on a lathe to the same dimensions as the stocker so the bearings and everything work then they have a jig they slide into the tube that holds it perfectly straight and they weld it back on... Broadway Ford in STL will do it all, on site, for about $7-800 if I remember right. I took it in to the shop and saved about 50%. I'm sure someplace down there does the same thing... they told me my Dana 80 was the smallest one they've done. Mostly its big rigs they fix when a bearing eats the hub up going down the hwy. I found a few Dana 80's for sale at the same price as the fix, but after I drove 2-3 states away to get it, the fuel cost ate up any savings...

Either way, Good luck and let me know if you need anything :D

That cuttin' and weldin' sounds kinda scary to me there Jeremy! For the same money, I'd rather just un-bolt and bolt up. I'll start chasin' leads today. Thanks all.

Don't be skeered of the cutting and welding. If it is done right, it will be fine. I have a D80 here, but it is for a Cab and Chassis. Of course I have plans for it also. I would look around I see D80's from time to time for $500-$600. With as close as TS is, if you can find somebody to bring it to TS I can help ya out.

Jory, sorry I can help with the axle problem, but I did send a little pick me up to your email.

Back