Banks rumors and myths

Without a trans upgrade 500hp to rear wheels wouldn't even be possible, it would limp the allison eveytime. I have a built trans and run the ppe programmer that shows consistant 475-500rwhp and if I tried that program on my stock trans I wouldn't have gone more then 10 feet before it limped.

Has he even tried the banks on his highest setting? I doubt it. Even banks on its high setting will limp a stock allison, it only takes about 100 hp over stock to the rear wheels on his year truck. Most trucks, his year, dyno about 275-295 rwhp. So if the allison will only hold about 100 hp more, that is still only 395 tops. Most people who don't have a built trans run on the lv2 or 3 setting, how does he expect that to be 500rwhp?

Y'know what is funny is that people on both sides of the fence of this argument don't read Banks ads closely enough. If his tuner gives you 150hp and the bundle 50hp (aprox) since a stock d-max will make 270-300 at the wheels that means 470-500 right? Not nessicarily. He uses the "best" power gains over stock, which means it could be at only 2500rpm when the engine is making 200hp. Adding peak power to advertised numbers may not get you the result you want even though that is what most people do.....I think this is where most of the confusion lies.

CookCR said:
I worked for a diesel shop for a while and a guy called in about his 6.0. Hello sir i want the 700hp package yall offer. I said ok and asked what he already had done.
"I got the banks big hoss so im right at 600 now"
me-"Well sir Banks overates things, right now you probably have 370 to the ground"
him "he he Id have to disagree with you their, if you rode in this son of a B!&@$ youd know, this is the big hoss not the cheap one"
Him "so what will it take me to get the other 100 hp"
after I work up 20K dollars of parts hes says im crazy because he can put propane on it and get to 750

Don't work up a formula for 700 hp, he obviously believes the hype :shake:
Work up a formula for 100 more than what he has and he'll be happy, until he hits the rollers anyways :hehe:

JQmile said:
Y'know what is funny is that people on both sides of the fence of this argument don't read Banks ads closely enough. If his tuner gives you 150hp and the bundle 50hp (aprox) since a stock d-max will make 270-300 at the wheels that means 470-500 right? Not nessicarily. He uses the "best" power gains over stock, which means it could be at only 2500rpm when the engine is making 200hp. Adding peak power to advertised numbers may not get you the result you want even though that is what most people do.....I think this is where most of the confusion lies.

Excellent point, and true for a lot of performance companies including the gassers. The one thing in this argument with my friend is that the people at Banks told him he has 500hp and that he would not have any problems with the transmission. They told him they have lots of shop trucks with that kind of power and have never had trouble with the Allison. I asked him for dyno sheets and he blew me off. :blahblah1:

2 days after I started this thread a co-worker said he saw an interview with a guy from GBE on the speed channel. He couldn't remember if it was Gale or not. He said the guy made statements about how Banks is the performance leader, and sets the benchmark, and has a long history of top performance, and leadership all in the diesel performance world. He asked me cause he knows I pay attention to this stuff and have a bit of knowledge. He said he got the impression from the interview that Banks was the best and noone could compete with them. He said something about how the guy was making all kinds of claims about how their drag pickup was the fastest and the first, and how they were the first to 1000hp with a Duramax and noone has been able to match them.

I didn't see the interview but that sure sounds like old Gale to me.

I think it was MADDOG that posted a link on here a while back where Banks had brought their Dakota to Truckfest and in the Banks article it said they were the quickest or fastest diesel truck there, neither of which was even close to true. IIRC it was only running like high 12's. Your buddy just got brainwashed by the Super Ad Campaign just like so many other people have. If I had a penny for every time someone said to me, "You must've put all that Banks stuff on there".....

Yeah I heard that MADDOG approach Gale and said he would race him and Gale came up with some lame excuse to not race. Just shows how out of touch they are. To brag as much as they do they sure can't back it up, and obviously have NO idea whats out there.

The few GBE employees I have talked to are very proud of their Banks Power trucks. I would love to see any of them step up and race some of the locals out here in Cali. Probably never happen.

With some of the stuff coming how do you think the 'yota will hang with the Banks racing rigs?

thetonka said:
With some of the stuff coming how do you think the 'yota will hang with the Banks racing rigs?

Considering the only person paying for my rig is myself, and about half of the diesel world is paying for theirs, I have no idea. :D Sure would be nice to spank that thing though.

imelmo said:
Considering the only person paying for my rig is myself, and about half of the diesel world is paying for theirs, I have no idea. :D Sure would be nice to spank that thing though.

Seeing what I have seen, hearing what I have heard and knowing the people involved(remember I grew up about 10 miles from the GBE facility) I would put my money on you.:rockwoot:

Are Banks tuner products guaranteed not to leave a trace on the ECM on any big 3 diesel?

Nick

I know this is a week old. But if the guy didn't even have a clue about Isuzu designing the motor. There is no point in argueing anything else with him.

And anyone that says they have a certain amount of power. I won't argue with them, I just invite them to a dyno event like others have stated. The dyno showing them numbers in front of many others is WAY better then me saying, "Ummm no I don't think so", face to face. Maybe I'm just mean and like that type of reaction though :kick:

Funny what banks does, seems liek there should be rules against claiming that kind of stuff

Lucky Jeff said:
I know this is a week old. But if the guy didn't even have a clue about Isuzu designing the motor. There is no point in argueing anything else with him.

And anyone that says they have a certain amount of power. I won't argue with them, I just invite them to a dyno event like others have stated. The dyno showing them numbers in front of many others is WAY better then me saying, "Ummm no I don't think so", face to face. Maybe I'm just mean and like that type of reaction though :kick:

Actually the real sad part of this is the last discussion I got into with him had NOTHING to do with the Banks specific stuff. He has it and it seems to make him happy. I only sent him some information on K&N filters. He drives his truck alot and spends a fair amount of time at construction sites and other dirty places. I have been trying to convince him to at least replace the filter. He is convinced that there is nothing wrong with the filter, and that GM WILL warranty the truck if he breaks anything. He then went into the whole Banks is the best and they are the only ones who do reliable honest testing, and GM must trust them since GM asked them to help design the Duramax, and he has 500hp, and I'm an @sshole. :bang

Oh well, I don't think he is my friend anymore, and I still think Banks is a tool who sells overrated, overpriced products by using lies and deception. It will bother me for a long time that that company was able to destroy a very long friendship because they lied to a friend.

Dieselson said:
Funny what banks does, seems liek there should be rules against claiming that kind of stuff

i guess you could sue em. maybe false advertising...that would be funny!

Yell if your going to sell your stuff as over priced as they do, you need to convince the unknowing that its the best to compete with other products

I remember when I first saw all those shiny exhaust tips and crap in the magazine of the "BIG HOSS BUNDLE!!!!!!!!!!" and I wondered how much it cost. Google, nothing from any of the retailers. Hmmmmmmmmm...........

4 emails later with a sales rep saying I would probably buy it if he just gave me a price--- $3200 back in 2005, so who knows what's been added and jacked up since. $3200 for an exhaust, a wastegate, a K&N and a chip? C'mon.