best bottom charger for 450-500hp

1bad93

that guy
hello all, i will be starting to order parts to make my own compound turbo setup here in the next few days. so i have been doin as much research as possible on what charger setups work and witch dont. so far ive been liking the sound of a hx55 for its fast spooling(it is a street truck). but then at the same time its smaller than others, meaning its restrictive at top end. so my question is what is a good streetable twin setup that will still have the flow to support 450-500hp? or am i just being unreasonable?
thanks jon. :charger:

cause i really dont think the ve pump is gona have the rpm to keep the egts in check, could be wrong tho dont really know too much about the he351.

I would look for an S400 Frame Turbo, Are you using your current turbo as the top turbo in the setup?

i think a single 62 or 64 with a p-pump will work well for what you want.And be streetable

but if the guy wants twins theres nothin wrong with that. go for it dude.

If twins I would also say an S400 based turbo, it gives you room to go bigger later on. Plus there are so many different combinations of wheels, housings and custom mods, it can really help when tailoring a setup.

ok ive accully been looking at the s475 as well, would that be good or would a s480 be more suited for what im looking to do.and yes apoclyps i wil still be use the 35/40 as the top charger.
thanks jon

If you're going to get an S480 for a bottom charger you might want to consider an external wastegate, because that 35/40 is only going to allow so much exhaust through it before it becomes a restriction. Restriction Will= High Drive Pressure. The turbos in a compund setup need to me somewhat matched, dont get too over zealous when picking a bottom turbo, you need to pick something that will light up, yet not over power the small turbo when lit.

I would go with something S475 or smaller. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
i think a single 62 or 64 with a p-pump will work well for what you want.And be streetable

im really trying to stay away from p pumping, i know it will make this a hole lot easier, cheaper , and probly more relible but as funny as this sounds im really sick of people i know saying ve pumps cant make power so i just want to prove them wrong,and im just a plain out fan of the old ve.
thanks jon.

If you're going to get an S480 for a bottom charger you might want to consider an external wastegate, because that 35/40 is only going to allow so much exhaust through it before it becomes a restriction. Restriction Will= High Drive Pressure.

would a s475 be in the same boat, honestly im not trying to go that route.
thanks jon

a s475 would work well..... theres another thread about the s478 (forces inductions) it has the air flow of the 480 but spools much faster

A hX55 is plenty big for what you're trying to do, if you can find one for cheap. An ol HT3B should work as well. If you're looking to make over 450 to the wheels, you're probably going to need a 14mm pump head.

STOMP has made 650 with a HX40/BHT3B setup, the truth is that VE's don't usually spin up that high, so they don't need big turbos to produce boost.

S480 is way to big for this.

I would say a gt42 from a detroit 60 series would be best. Dirt cheap.

With the usual big IC, ported head and cam, the S362/HT3B keeps the common 12mm VE with big injectors fairly cool. Decently quick and drives OK.

Think smaller, I think a S471 would be nice, what are the plans for this truck?

Your average overfueled diesel has a bsfc of about .40lb per horsepower, per hour. That means to make 600 hp at the crank (c.480 at the wheels) you'd use about 4lb/min of fuel. An air fuel ratio past 15:1 isn't going to produce much power, so at most you'd need a turbo that flowed (4x15) 60lb/min, something even a single 64 could pull off.

But twins look cooler ;)

Last edited: