best bottom charger for 450-500hp

Your average overfueled diesel has a bsfc of about .40lb per horsepower, per hour. That means to make 600 hp at the crank (c.480 at the wheels) you'd use about 4lb/min of fuel. An air fuel ratio past 15:1 isn't going to produce much power, so at most you'd need a turbo that flowed (4x15) 60lb/min, something even a single 64 could pull off.

But twins look cooler ;)

And also clean up better and run cooler than a single. He's got the right idea now just needs proper turbo advice.

I've always thought it would be cool to do a 50mm/64mm setup on a 500 hp truck. Bet it would spool by the time your foot hit the floor!

I've always thought it would be cool to do a 50mm/64mm setup on a 500 hp truck. Bet it would spool by the time your foot hit the floor!

That's almost a BD towing twins, IIRC theirs is a 57mm over a 66mm both S300 frame.

An S465 or S468 would be all you need. Or as roachie said and get a GT42 that originated on a Detriot 60 series, even has a wastegate.

i do plan on buying a turbo brand new, just so i know where i stand with it. and speaking of waste gates how do you set them up. do you set both chargers for x amount of boost to make y amount total, like lets just say set both of them for 35lbs to make 70lbs in total?? or am i way off. im trying to grasp the twins thing still lol.
thanks jon.

Yes and no. Turbos are more concerned about the ratio of the pressure produced versus the pressure before the turbo. This is called a pressure ratio.

In the case of a primary turbo(the big one) that would be the pressure of the first stage to atmospheric pressure(Pressure ratios are figured in atmospheric units)

In the secondary turbo this would be the ratio of the second stage compression vs the first stage.

On paper, the ideal is to have both turbos running at the same Pressure ratio. However, I've heard that several people have had good luck running a lower PR on the primary. It's one of those things where formulas on paper will get you close but there is no replacement for tuning. Besides, that's the fun part anyways. Right?

I know you said you wanted to buy a new turbo but I have a used HT3B that is a 75 mm if your interested.

i do plan on buying a turbo brand new, just so i know where i stand with it. and speaking of waste gates how do you set them up. do you set both chargers for x amount of boost to make y amount total, like lets just say set both of them for 35lbs to make 70lbs in total?? or am i way off. im trying to grasp the twins thing still lol.
thanks jon.

Get yourself a S400 71/83/1.10a/r T-6 setup, stuff it under the stock turbo and you'll never look back.

We put the same charger but with a 75mm comp wheel on a '95 12v, mounted it under a 62/71/.70a/r non gated S300...at 580rwhp the NV4500 has a hard time staying together.

Last edited:
ok i think i found a turbo, i dont know how this forum is about posting e bay links so ill just throw up the dimesions.turbine, 83mm inducer,exducer is 76mm. and the compresser is 63mm inducer and a 91mm exducer. is that right?
thanks jon

Last edited:
an also i found a s400 b2, from what i can find on the inter web it seems to spool the same as a ht3b and flow more. but like i said this is what i found on the web so i really dont trust it a 100 percent.anyone here have any excperance with em?

ok i think i found a turbo, i dont know how this forum is about posting e bay links so ill just throw up the dimesions.turbine, 83mm inducer,exducer is 76mm. and the compresser is 63mm inducer and a 91mm exducer. is that right?
thanks jon

well i just alked to the guy with this charger and i can get it 450 bucks and it just rebult, and best thing to be about it is its right up the road from were i work. so i would really like to use this one but i really dont know if its too big?
thanks jon.

s400 71/83/1.1 t6

Im thinking an s200 59/60/.7 t3 gated over an ht3b with a divided 26cm should work pretty good. But thats just me thinking aloud

I've run a couple of combinations with the 35/40 hybrid(Dodgezilla) as a secondary charger. Ht3B works well with it as does a small turbine S400(83mm inducer turbine). A GT4294 sized charger would be a nice size for what you are trying to do. Set the wastegate on your 35/40 so that the linkage just starts to get loose(on the table with regulated shop air) at about 15-18psi. That will be a good starting point to try. Make sure to drill your wastegate hole through to the second side to vent both sides of your divided housing(35/40).

Last edited:
well i just alked to the guy with this charger and i can get it 450 bucks and it just rebult, and best thing to be about it is its right up the road from were i work. so i would really like to use this one but i really dont know if its too big?
thanks jon.

sounds pretty close to an s475

B2 = s400 frame (could vary in wheel sizes)

i was going to suggest a 471 but i didnt want smokem finding something wrong with what i say

if your lookin for cheap just find a ht3b used somewhere and use it over your stocker

looky here
HT3B - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Last edited: