best clutch for street puller

jr22

oilfield equipped
I am looking at a new sbc for a 6spd cummins any suggestions?? thanks, jr

this is a useless question. 5 guys will give 6 answers.

i'll say southbend.

I already said a sbc but which one 3850 or a iron giant, jr

never owned a south bend so i dont know just what ive experinced i run a triple disk now curious though what is a sb double disk rated at anybody know?

i know a guy said he had good luck with iron giant and was still streetable had some decent power in his truck to

I have the SB Dual disc 3850. Also had the 3600. Not a huge difference in drivability. Had the 3600 break a pressure plate bolt on me. Called peter and he replaced it, no problem. Even upgraded me to the 3850 as I asked for no additional charge.

I pull here and there, and drive it everyday. I have no problem with it at all. I know several people who have used the iron giant in their street drivin puller. If I were to do it again, I think I would have gone with the Iron Giant. Just a little more there to know its gonna hold up.

And Im sure the SBC will hold up to what your gonna use it for. I know plenty of people with well over fifty pulls on their SB DD before needing a rebuild.

Just my$.02

Travis

jr22 said:
I already said a sbc but which one 3850 or a iron giant, jr

SBC DD 3850 Street Comp 6 CB -
Lever type pressure plate with heavy increase in pedal pressure, 6 ceramic buttons per side of disc, 750 hp (good for drag racing)
WILL require hydraulic upgrades

SBC DD 3850 Street Comp 12 CB-
Lever type pressure plate with heavy increase in pedal pressure, 12 ceramic buttons per side of disc, 750 hp (good for sled pulling)
WILL require hydraulic upgrade

SBC DD 3850 Comp 12 FB-
Lever type pressure plate with heavy increase in pedal pressure, 12 feramic buttons per side of disc, 750 hp (good for extreme sled pulling)

SBC DD 4200 Extreme Comp 12 FB THE IRON GIANT-
Lever type pressure plate with extreme increase in pedal pressure, 12 feramic buttons per side of disc, 850 hp (good for extreme sled pulling)

there are the differences in them pm me if u know what u are looking for if u want a little more help

Ol' JW drives a Iron Giant everyday, well he used too. I went with the 3850 12CB I wish I would have went Iron Giant Why? My truck is probly mostly a puller now but dont let people talk you into stuff you don't want, go with what you feel will suite your needs!
P.S. Jerrod Love The Rig!
Brandon

both pull and drive, tow in the mountains also last year dyno 483 hp 904tq made some changes over winter to hopefully gain power but havnt dynoed yet, looking at twins also to help with lag in the 6300ft elevation, jr

I run the Iron Giant every day to work and back, it's a bit grabby when I'm fighting stop and go traffic, but for normal driving and even towing I like it just fine.

Older95
The haisley comp puller cant be shifted over 2k RPM correct? He is looking for a street/pulling clutch

jr22 said:
both pull and drive, tow in the mountains also last year dyno 483 hp 904tq made some changes over winter to hopefully gain power but havnt dynoed yet, looking at twins also to help with lag in the 6300ft elevation, jr

A Haisley Machine Street Puller would be a great clutch for that application. Kenny's also makes an awesome clutch. SBC is OK, but I would not use one.

The HMR comp i believe says don't shift above 2500 rpms. It can if you float them, the weights just make it difficult to clutch and shift. I have driven with a mitchell, and a HMR. I actually think the HMR Comp is smoother than the Mitchell was. It was a 4,000 pound 12cb. The comp puller is driven daily has never been adjusted, pulled gooseneck trailers and never skipped a beat. It just plain works. As far as shifting goes......it may be worse in a 5600 equipped truck, but with a 4500 watch your tach when you shift unless racing, or hotrodding the next gear will fall in below 2500 rpms therefore it really doesn't shift any slower than any other dual disk i've driven. Saying that, I've never driven anything with a southbend dual. And when you pick a HMR be realistic with what rpm you want full lock up. Most are too proud and it gets below that on the track, and it wears on the clutch more.

ive ran , hmr street, hmr comp , and a 3850 12cb sbc. I like the sbc the best so far

IRON GIANT...as long as you don't do the stop and go stuff...or you'll give the leg a work out.